Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer moans thread

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstoms cant remember what one is tho!

I have to agree with Conor, this has been a truly awful 'summer' i think since May we have had 2 weekends where there has been sun! Getting up on a Saturday to slate grey skies followed by a mirror image Sunday really gets you down. It really doesn't help when Monday comes and you are greeted with clear blue skies!! 

Also the other moan is the lack of storms it has been a pretty poor showing around here, last time i heard thunder round this neck of the woods was May! That was a couple of rumbles from a distant cell. Last decent storm was over a year ago!

Overall rating of Summer 1/10! It only gets a 1 because it managed to stay dry during my wedding! 

• Like 1

Posted

This summer, why so cloudy? I just can't understand it, there hasn't been any real low pressure since June, no thundery outbreaks since then, no North Sea cloud setups, in fact it's often been on the anticyclonic side. There have been long spells with little or no rain too. I think before the 2007 switch this would have been a decent summer, with lots of 24-25C sunny weather sandwiching the hot spell and some more warmth between the thunderous showers in June. Something has happened since to make every setup cloudier than it used to be. This summer it's often been 20-21C under a complete blanket of cloud, the warmth is there unlike some years and it would rise to the mid-20s if only the cloud would get lost. 

It must be the melting ice putting layers of moist air up there, or something. The synoptics don't explain it this year. And th  other thing- it's nearly always windy in summer these days, even when the pressure is 1020mb+. That never used to happen either.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Cloudy the entire day except for a 1 minute splash midday then to rub my nose in it cleared to give almost clear skies just in time for sunset !

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Summer of 95 said:

This summer, why so cloudy? I just can't understand it, there hasn't been any real low pressure since June, no thundery outbreaks since then, no North Sea cloud setups, in fact it's often been on the anticyclonic side. There have been long spells with little or no rain too. I think before the 2007 switch this would have been a decent summer, with lots of 24-25C sunny weather sandwiching the hot spell and some more warmth between the thunderous showers in June. Something has happened since to make every setup cloudier than it used to be. This summer it's often been 20-21C under a complete blanket of cloud, the warmth is there unlike some years and it would rise to the mid-20s if only the cloud would get lost. 

It must be the melting ice putting layers of moist air up there, or something. The synoptics don't explain it this year. And th  other thing- it's nearly always windy in summer these days, even when the pressure is 1020mb+. That never used to happen either.

cumulus infill, really only clear sky setup is easterly winds, Apr to may, but our areas then cloudy due to north sea mist

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Tonight is the last night of the August Perseid Meteor shower. 
I've just been out with the dog and guess what?? Yes it's clouded over again!! :wallbash::cray:
So far this year I have failed to see any of the lingerie twilight, I haven't seen any noctilucent clouds, and now I can add the August Perseid Shower to that list :vava:
I will be so glad when this cloudy, gloomy, grotfest of a still born summer is consigned to the history books.
People are bemoaning about the autumnal dartboard lows that the GFS and ECM are predicting for us from next weekend onwards... My take on it is, let them happen!! I'd rather have a few hours of rain and wind for it then to clear and leave us with sunshine and showers rather than just this constant grey nothingness.
Personally I love autumn; but I'd enjoy autumn far more if we've had a summer before hand.
Summer 2016... One to forget. :nea:

• Like 1

Posted

i hate to depress, but next summer is likely to be similar, as most of the summers since 2012 have , apart from july 2013 there hasnt been any decent heatwaves that last a week,  climate change is real,

summers are now the grey season  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 hours ago, IanR said:

i hate to depress, but next summer is likely to be similar, as most of the summers since 2012 have , apart from july 2013 there hasnt been any decent heatwaves that last a week,  climate change is real,

Wouldn't go that far, but they are indeed on the cloudier side now than they were. Conversely, I think springs have improved sunshine-wise in my lifetime. April in particular has got better with regards to sunshine over the years and August, which I used to think was a decent month, has gone down the pan. Even this month which has been very dry and settled so far has not capitalised on sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Cloud has certainly been an issue in the last 10 years or so. This summer has been no different until August; the weather has improved quite a bit here, anyway which has been very welcome. Shame about the coming weekend though! But tentative signs there that BH weekend might be ok...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
On 14/08/2016 at 23:22, IanR said:

Morning Ian :)
I'm not fussed on the heatwaves, as I find them debilitating... Just nice sunny conditions like we've had for the past two/three days for a majority of the summer would do very nicely :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Thankfully after the day i've had summer is well and truly at it's end hopefully. Can fully understand folk liking the current conditions but after just over 5hrs in a room showing 47c and moisture dripping from walls and ceiling getting into a bloody car that was sat for that long showing 39c inside is no fun,really hate this this weather,i know many don't,just try doing my job,your opinion will change,trust me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
6 hours ago, markyo said:

Thankfully after the day i've had summer is well and truly at it's end hopefully. Can fully understand folk liking the current conditions but after just over 5hrs in a room showing 47c and moisture dripping from walls and ceiling getting into a bloody car that was sat for that long showing 39c inside is no fun,really hate this this weather,i know many don't,just try doing my job,your opinion will change,trust me.

It was 22C today!! Flipping heck - never met anyone like you in my entire life. You are not the only person in the world to work outside but you are the only person I've ever seen complaining about weather like today. You must either be trolling or medically unwell because that is not normal at all.

Edited by cheese

Posted
6 hours ago, cheese said:

It was 22C today!! Flipping heck - never met anyone like you in my entire life. You are not the only person in the world to work outside but you are the only person I've ever seen complaining about weather like today. You must either be trolling or medically unwell because that is not normal at all.

What on earth are you talking about??? Read my post for goodness sake!! I don't work outside!! Obviously i should make it even more obvious in future. It was over 25c where i was most of the day. You have a very poor attitude when it comes to anybodies different opinion. Do my job,see how you feel then comment,that would be fair.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

OK, Lets please all respect others weather preferences, And continue discussing in a friendly respectful manner.

Thanks.

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted

not very nice out there today, grey, windy? wtf thought one last good day, 

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted

nice summery weather for the working week while we cant apprieciate, now the weekend is here it knows,  and is giving us two fingers by giving dross again

to the weather gods.....  just get lost .I dont give a hoots anymore, you are only going to do the same next week , arent you

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Oh good, next week's heat perfectly timed for the working days again. Unless it lasts into the weekend I really don't care if it's hot or not. As nice as it is to see, it's such a waste during the week for so many.

Posted

yep.

A grotty weekend in store for all of us, before some lovely summer heat during the working week where nobody can appreciate it and then breaking down to zonal mush in time for the bank holiday weekend.

Garbage.

Posted

Looks like one may be suffering next week working,not looking forward to it at all,hopefully short lived spell! Least the days are shorter now so that helps a bit

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Feel a bit sorry for you lot that work Mon-Fri, the weekend curse has struck again this year. Happy that I do shifts and have next week and weekend off. Could be quite nice for the BH weekend if GFS is to be believed.

Posted

Bang average summer really... Terrible for thunderstorms though, bar the very thundery period at the beginning of June 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Not be a bad summer. Drier than average average temperatures, only thing to grumble about is the lack of storms chesterfield nicking what meager scrapping's around there were.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

yep.

A grotty weekend in store for all of us, before some lovely summer heat during the working week where nobody can appreciate it and then breaking down to zonal mush in time for the bank holiday weekend.

Garbage.

Not everybody works Monday to Friday you know.

People have a go at us heat haters for moaning, but jeez, even when it does look like getting hot the heat lovers still complain!

• Like 4

Posted

today weather absolute jaffa cakes take, worst jaffa cakes take ever, sunny from 5.30pm after day of rain, dry tonight and wet tomorrow, dry tomorrow night, dry sunday night, wet monday, dry monday night

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold weather. Storms are pretty good too.

It's been wet, wet, wet here all day and I had to stand at a graveside in the pouring rain this morning. Felt sorrier for the poor coffin bearers though as they had no hats and it seems nobody provided them with umbrellas or is that not allowed for funeral staff? Daft if not. Weather now sunny and warmish but I have been outside battening down the hatches for tomorrows wind as it seems that on the South Coast here we may have a bit of a storm. As for ones moaning about 25C, I was in Madrid in middle of July and the max temp was 42C! Now that is worth moaning about. But Hey, this is the Summer moans thread after all.