Sign in to follow this  
Supacell

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Us Westerners (West Wales, West Midlands, SW England), our best bet is this area approaching from the SW and hopefully it forms cells to it's east from their outflow if I'm right?

Best bet.png

Edited by Ben Sainsbury
  • Like 5

Nice little cluster of strikes in the Bay of Biscay (hubby and I call it the Bay of Biscuits!)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Signs of it beginning to kick off over Dumfries and Galloway. Strikes becoming more frequent! 

William wallaces backside may well kick into gear soon :rofl:;)

yep nice little cluster over the way from me. Hope it gets closer and doesn't skirt lochmaben.

Storms breaking in SW Scotland.

is it now general consensus that after the AM storms, only Scotland is likely to see thunderstorms tomorrow? BBC really not liking the chances!

it is stifling here, still 27c at 10pm and humidity sat around 65%, will increase as that temp drops a little more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

is it now general consensus that after the AM storms, only Scotland is likely to see thunderstorms tomorrow? BBC really not liking the chances!

it is stifling here, still 27c at 10pm and humidity sat around 65%, will increase as that temp drops a little more.

No I wouldn't say that at all looking at the potential..... I've already said ignore the BBC forecast for now?

Edited by P-M

Towers out this was keep collapsing, but keep trying and it's looking ominous. Been some strikes about 20 miles west of me. Forecast says I won't get rain until 6 am, but I've brought the horses in cos I think it's gonna be earlier looking at the sky and I refuse point blank to be wandering about in the dark at 3 am in a thunderstorm trying to bring in two horses going off their heads. Being struck by lightning would be the easy option.

• Like 3

BLACKPOOL: 28.2oC humidity rising 55%, blinking warm! 

Sky looks very dark over Irish Sea now, took photo two hours back, nice big Cu's forming. 

Going to be a long night!

2.jpg

• Like 1

Evaporative rain falling out the smallest of cumulus here

4 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Don't the BBC still get their forecasts from the Met Office? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

I believe so still.

@Convective,cells firing up on IOM:)

from the NW of you to the Mersey side i reckon.

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

They don't anymore as far as I was aware?

• Like 1

Just now, SP1986 said:

I thought they did at the moment. They certainly haven't said who they get them from if they don't.

1 hour ago, John Hodgson said:

hmmm? 

image.png

That's for tomorrow.... Can you ask the guy who has estimated a rogue storm to be there, to give us his version of the lottery numbers!! 

• Like 3

The sky has been looking very unstable for the last couple of hours, with some Ac Cas threatening to form but no towering Cu.

It has turned deeply oppressive, though, and the stiff breeze of early evening has totally dissipated. 

Nothing's supposed to be on here (screw zone lol), but am brewing some very attractive unstable skies which don't seem to be going anywhere atm despite the breeze. Sat outside in the dark, comfortable for firest time today. 25.6 C with thatt gentle breeze.

Anvil to my south west, I'm working up near Fife and hoping for a show

1468963372119.jpg

• Like 1

A lot of Ac Cas to my northwest but still fairly clear skies to my south.

A good indicator of how touch and go it's going to be to get a storm here. My guess at this stage is that anyone heading this way to storm chase may need to keep going past us and get a bit further north. I think the West Midlands is too much on the edge of where the activity is going to be.

Distant flashes from Lickey Hills would make for pleasant viewing though!

Edited by Gord

3 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

I believe so still.

Nope. Was due to be taken over by another company. Wikipedia suggest a new company will be chosen this year although i haven't managed to find any info, and I'm fully aware wikipedia isn't the best of sources. 

5 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Yes, Met Office are still the providers for BBC Weather. Nothing has been announced publicly (to my knowledge) as to who the next provider will be, though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

I thought they did at the moment. They certainly haven't said who they get them from if they don't.

Im sure they used to make it clear where their forecast were from although i might be mistaken. Does it still say "with association of the met office" at the beginning?

Just now, staplehurst said:

Yes, Met Office are still the providers for BBC Weather. Nothing has been announced publicly (to my knowledge) as to who the next provider will be, though.

Makes it even worse doesn't it that sometimes they can be so out of kilter with what's actually been shown from the Met.  (Not just talking about today)