Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted

a stunning end to the evening now, blue skys, still feeling warm, would love another storm but cant complain, been a cracking evening storm wise so far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes

Anyone found a live streaming webcam for Lowestoft? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
Just now, MartinD said:

Anyone found a live streaming webcam for Lowestoft? 

Southwold Pier is quite good:

https://www.norfolklive.org/our-cameras/southwold-pier-hd/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

more webcam action from Great Yarmouth http://www.great-yarmouth.co.uk/visitor-info/webcam.asp

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

laat hour according to blitzortung there has been nearing on 20,000 strikes!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

just to give everyone an idea of just how mental it is over in EA, have a look at this screen grab from  lightningmaps.org      the screen grab represents roughly 15 miles north to south...holy smokes!

mental2.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

What a storm that was - flash, bang, wallop!:D

• Like 2

Posted

I was out in the North-West Norfolk storm this time! I left the house 2 hours ago and saw the storm brewing across the sea but thought nothing of it as it was obviously ages away. Then slowly as it approached the rumbles that were turning into a constant echo frightened all the tourists watching along the seafront. The beach went from busiest its been all year to completely empty in 30 seconds when the first drops of rain came down. Most amazing sight seeing constant sheet lightning and loads of CG, then it came right overhead and I was stuck under a tree at the beach until 15 minutes ago when I made a dash for it, then a rainbow appeared whilst distant rumbles continued. Best most lively storm I have seen in 5-10 years, I can't explain the amounts of rain, the cloudscapes and lightning and the sheer amount of it, words don't do any of it justice. Shame I didn't take any photos, I was just stood there speechless.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
5 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

just to give everyone an idea of just how mental it is over in EA, have a look at this screen grab from  lightningmaps.org      the screen grab represents roughly 15 miles north to south...holy smokes!

mental2.png

Nope, wasn't like that at all - split just as it got to mid Norfolk, 3 rumbles of thunder and about 10 mins of light rain. Not what I'd call mental unless I was completely desperate! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
1 minute ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Nope, wasn't like that at all - split just as it got to mid Norfolk, 3 rumbles of thunder and about 10 mins of light rain. Not what I'd call mental unless I was completely desperate! 

so, it wasn't bad for you......that's a shame, but for many parts such as Southwold, the lightning detectors and the web cams were not lying, it was a multicell complex the likes of which we don't often see in the UK

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

Shame, up here it was madness, best storm in many years! 

2 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Look at them badboys

IMAG0582.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

Jesus, lucky much! Just insane rain up this way, never seen hail that big in the UK...

Posted
31 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

It's weakening quite significantly over Norfolk - south Suffolk and the far north-west corner of Norfolk/south-east corner of Lincolnshire are getting the worst (best?) of it.

It always does - no idea why unless the boulder clay plateau has some sort of influence, although I was lead to believe it was an enhancer. Normal for Norfolk so no change there. Still August and September to go........and be disappointed yet again. 

Posted
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

so, it wasn't bad for you......that's a shame, but for many parts such as Southwold, the lightning detectors and the web cams were not lying, it was a multicell complex the likes of which we don't often see in the UK

Would you classify it as a mesoscale convective system, ajp?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Well it was certainly a humdinger!

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, ajpoolshark said:

Oh I saw it coming, trust me, the anvil was huge radar said direct hit right up to barely 10 miles out. However it literally split as it approached, you could see it happening. Now why that happened I have no idea, but it's not unusual for storms (big or small) to suddenly divert north or south of here. Must be some sort of local topography (which in a relatively flat county is hard to conceive!) 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
5 minutes ago, Delka said:

Shame, up here it was madness, best storm in many years! 

Jesus, lucky much! Just insane rain up this way, never seen hail that big in the UK...

Mine were just a tad bigger last July 1st, but they're impressive. Is everything safe and sound?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

It always does - no idea why unless the boulder clay plateau has some sort of influence, although I was lead to believe it was an enhancer. Normal for Norfolk so no change there. Still August and September to go........and be disappointed yet again. 

We've often speculated that it has to do with the pattern of the river valleys which cut through the plateau, but that wouldn't apply where you are, as we think of the western border being the Tiffey valley.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Have had a great view of the Suffolk storm cloud from my back garden. The anvil is huge. Front is covered in mammatus, so would look spectacular underneath it and a long line of cumulus feeding into the back. Haven't seen any lighting though from this range. Thought I could  see a cylindrical hail core at one stage. 

Edited by poseidon

Posted
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

Would you classify it as a mesoscale convective system, ajp?

I personally wouldn't, at least not in the sense of a classic 'european' MCS......rather discrete thunderstorms that fired along a frontal boundary, expanded given the enviroment they were entering......for me, the clue is that the cells waxed and waned, at certain times during the past couple of hours, some of the cells faded, whilst a neighbouring cell fired, this can be seen on the lightning/ppn spreads of the cells over time 

Posted
2 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

I personally wouldn't, at least not in the sense of a classic 'european' MCS......rather discrete thunderstorms that fired along a frontal boundary, expanded given the enviroment they were entering......for me, the clue is that the cells waxed and waned, at certain times during the past couple of hours, some of the cells faded, whilst a neighbouring cell fired, this can be seen on the lightning/ppn spreads of the cells over time 

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms or snow

suddenly the cloud to the north of me is looking quite menacing. not sure on direction its moiving but more than likely away from me  

Posted
8 minutes ago, Spikecollie said:

Mine were just a tad bigger last July 1st, but they're impressive. Is everything safe and sound?

We are good, next doors conservatory has holes in the roof and cars are covered in dents.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Evening peeps,that looks like a hell of a storm in Suffolk,anyone got any footage or pics:D

well i took a drive down the M1 to intercept that Stoke storm,it was 50mph most of the way down(dam roadworks) but did manage to get in front of it and got off at Duckmanton to head for Bolsover castle of which was on top of a hill to get a great vantage point,the storm didn't look much as it was dying out but i was gobsmacked at how much thunder came from this,there was hardly any rain falling from it either

little classic cell that was rotating and the lightning was coming from that shaft to the right every few seconds

DSC00875.JPG

and this shot after it went over with the inflow coming from the right of the picture

DSC00879.JPG

i have a couple clips which i will look at later and upload when i have the time:)

• Like 1