Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

Sheffield's doing something wrong it hasn't brewed anything for anyone else it normally does.

Posted
3 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Count yourself lucky, not even a rumble here!

its annoying isnt it, it panned out much as i though to be honest,  initial forcast for severe storms over north wales , ireland , moving into north west england around 1200pm , i was anticipating an early hours light and sound show ,   then the bbc forcast last night delayed it until morning, i knew then it was game over,  

,maybe one or two rumbles as i head into work,  then it will all kick off in the midlands, eastern counties,  even though they had only isolated showers forcast,  

oh look what happened,  just as i thought !   nothing for the majority of the north west,   but big storms in the east , now heading for linconlshire etc     i wrote the script before it happened , all too predicatable,    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

That storm that missed me must be turning into a monster still got the cloud over me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
Just now, IanR said:

its annoying isnt it, it panned out much as i though to be honest,  initial forcast for severe storms over north wales , ireland , moving into north west england around 1200pm , i was anticipating an early hours light and sound show ,   then the bbc forcast last night delayed it until morning, i knew then it was game over,  

,maybe one or two rumbles as i head into work,  then it will all kick off in the midlands, eastern counties,  even though they had only isolated showers forcast,  

oh look what happened,  just as i thought !   nothing for the majority of the north west,   but big storms in the east , now heading for linconlshire etc     i wrote the script before it happened , all too predicatable,    

Yep. Whatever happened to the Welsh Marches path where thunderstorms would push N through Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Market Drayton etc then head into Cheshire? Always used to happen when I was a kid....used to get some right beasts that way. Doesn't happen anymore that's for sure.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The line of Cbs across the N London skyline is breathtaking. Taken some photos although the grubbiness of the windows has spoiled them somewhat.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Yesterday's 4pm warning for me was one hour too early and 10 miles too East.

The line of storms looks fantastic from here,  but I am not chasing it down the a14 at the speed it is going.

CAMBORNE looks like it got a moist top end. ☺

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yep. Whatever happened to the Welsh Marches path where thunderstorms would push N through Shrewsbury, Whitchurch, Market Drayton etc then head into Cheshire? Always used to happen when I was a kid....used to get some right beasts that way. Doesn't happen anymore that's for sure.

i remember , we would get them here too during sulty evenings in the 80's  , you could see the distant lighting coming in from the south / slighty south west direction if it was dark enough,  seemed the default direction for summer storms  , now its always up the irish sea in these setups ,  

or pushes directly east to the east midlands,   

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes, snow, thunder, hot heat, ice cold, etc

clear anvils here, mammatus clouds, looks like the small storms are joining up, no thunder heard here yet but dont think itll be long, gone proper muggy over the past half hour :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

Posted

Nice Anvil type thing approaching us from the west

Maybe one last bit of action before the cold front comes through

Posted
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

The line of Cbs across the N London skyline is breathtaking. Taken some photos although the grubbiness of the windows has spoiled them somewhat.

image.jpeg

As I leave Liverpool Street looking North can see what must be the storms near Cambridge. Magnificent view.

• Like 1

Posted

Incredible views of pretty amazing Cbs looking north from Chobham, Surrey! I saw these as I left work (Heathrow) just now. Shame they're not a little closer and the M25 wasn't solid as i'd hop in the car and chase them! Probably not ideal doing that on my motorbike...! 

One cell appears to have an overshooting top...?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Posted

Amazing skies here at the moment. Very defined anvils plus mammatus clouds.

Can now here thunder in the distance.

Posted
1 minute ago, TEITS said:

Amazing skies here at the moment. Very defined anvils plus mammatus clouds.

Can now here thunder in the distance.

hi, i can see very dark clouds over your way, not sure if it will make it up here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I've had enough. These storms are literally appearing right where I can't get to. M25 is basically the worst road this evening - otherwise I would have been able to get to that line of beautiful storms. Can't even film it cos a woman with a screaming baby drove up and parked in front of my timelapse. FFFFFFFS!!!!!

edit : I don't mean to cause offence if anyone thinks I'm being sexist - it could quite easily have been a businessman with a photocopy or a ham salad sandwich blocking my view and ruining my video. It would still made me grumpy.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Some new towers starting to go up closer to London - Essex way at a guess. Still quite small, but vertical and robust looking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold
10 minutes ago, Chris101 said:

Everything this end of the CZ looks great as it goes up but then soon collapses.

I was just about to mention storms seem to be being helped by a CZ. First time I spotted it.

Screenshot_2016-07-20-17-56-14.png

• Like 1

Posted

Is this breakdown of the cap heading London way? I've given up and I'm currently in Barnet - swearing.

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harry said:

Some new towers starting to go up closer to London - Essex way at a guess. Still quite small, but vertical and robust looking.

Yup - Three more cells. Lovely they are. I would have had an excellent video of them forming too. Grrrrrr.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

10 storms  One after another this morning, just kept coming. CGs  everywhere, some explosive  + CGs close by at times. It was  Mayham between about 03:00-07:00, the sort of thing i've been  waiting for years for. In Holyhead, in a tent, yes in a tent!

• Like 4