Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted

Strange things happening just east of me. Looking east, the cloud on the left moving to the right and the cloud on the right moving to the left and they bumped into each other. It was pretty low wispy cloud, backed by what looks like a very dark anvil with undulatus on its northern edge. Behind the wispy cloud, away in the distance to the east I watched a tower zoom up. Luckily there was a lamppost in front of it so I could see how fast it went. Bear in mind that this tower is possibly over 20 miles from me, I'm thinking waaaaaay to the east of Edinburgh. We have blue streaks appearing in the west and it hasn't cooled dramatically. I have a feeling that if the sun breaks through it's going to be unbearably humid.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
8 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Netwx SR in line with current radar with precipitation over SW, could spark over this possible thunderstorm over CS England/SE Midlands!

image.png

I reckon sweet spot will be Virginia Water north-eastwards

Edited by Flash bang flash bang etc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms or snow

looking to east of there are clouds but is more than likey part of the layer the sun broke through at about 11:00 this morning but it is being to heat up 

• Like 1

Posted

Sitting outside eating my lunch in Trafford Park, and it's spitting rain. Sky overhead and to the west and south is clear but for some haze and cirrus. The storm to the north is a good few miles away, but must be throwing spots my way from its updraughts. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, thunder, hail & heavy snow
9 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Netwx SR in line with current radar with precipitation over SW, could spark over this possible thunderstorm over CS England/SE Midlands!

image.png

Hopefully some stormy surprises for some of us in the Midlands if that keeps developing (although feel I might be a bit too far North for anything to develop should any thunderstorms pop up in the South-East later this afternoon). Despite the fairly cool breeze, still feels quite humid and hot outside.

Congrats to those of you further North/North-West for some of those big storms you've had so far. :) Too bad those storms couldn't have occurred further East and taken out all the storm shields in the Midlands instead. :spiteful: 

(But well done still, nonetheless)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Not sure if this has been posted update from Metcheck for today: http://www.metcheck.com/UK/warnings.asp

Weather Watch For Thunderstorms/Flash Flooding/Hail/Tornadoes

An exceptionally moist/unstable plume of air will head Northeast during the course of Tuesday evening and overnight into Wednesday across parts of the British Isles.

This Weather Watch has been updated to move the trajectory of the plume slightly further East and reduce risk of large hail/tornadoes due to higher rainfall values which may impede the updraft capability.

On Wednesday, the plume fully engages with warm air across the UK bringing torrential downpours across parts of Wales, Northwest and Northern England and Scotland.

Rainfall totals of 50-75mm (2-3") of rainfall is possible in a short period of time leading to the risk of local flash flooding and fast swelling rivers across higher ground.

Frequent cloud to ground lightning is expected within these systems, especially where they become better organised during Wednesday afternoon across Northern England and Central/Eastern Scotland.

Upper air data this morning has reduced the risk of large hail with 2-3cm possible. Higher rainfall totals within the systems are also forecast which will reduce the potential for updrafts which assist in developing tornadoes. That said, where storms become well organised there is a risk of funnel cloud/tornado development. This is most likely around Southeast Scotland on Wednesday morning and across parts of Northeast England on Wednesday afternoon.

Disruption to transport/power supplies is possible as well as local flooding on Wednesday.

FORECASTER : MARSH
---END---                        

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I read a comment earlier in the thread, that said they thought the activity was going to be more widespread. 

2016-07-20 (1).png

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

This is the only decent picture I got from last night, the stupid app stopped working when the storm was at its best! Oh well, what a night and morning!! 

IMG_20160720_124306.JPG

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms.. Heavy snow.

Clouded over here now, temp has dropped a little to 26C.  Humidity up to 65%.  Nothing going on to the south at the moment but it does feel oppressive 

Posted

Yuk - sky is a thick milky haze and humidity feels horrendous...

Posted

Glorious sunshine here with the very occasional little fluffy cloud burning off in the heat as it passes :-)

looks like some cloud gathering down in Cornwall on Sat24... Could this be our moment?

Posted
18 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I read a comment earlier in the thread, that said they thought the activity was going to be more widespread. 

44000 strikes is a good amount for any UK storm day, especially for a northern event also

• Like 3

Posted

Enjoyed catching up and reading everyones accounts and posts through the morning, its clear that quite a few have had some very memorable storms that they won't be forgetting, it makes a change not to have to trawl through 20 pages of drivel about "What a load of rubbish", "The MetO and models are crap" "I was meant to get a storm right over my house" just to find the decent posts. Keep up the great reports people:good: 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Martin Auld said:

IMG_1013.JPG

some nice mammatus clouds outside at the moment

Lovely Pic :)

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like a couple of small cells formed just west of Weymouth and are moving NEE... It's all to play for!

if this really is proper convection I'm hoping we're in for something significant!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Looks like some storms are working there way towards me here in Hartlepool. A nice storm just north of Skipton for example. Also a distant anvil has just shot up to the north in the direction of Sunderland. Things getting going again.

• Like 2

Posted

That line of storms coming over the pennines,that gap you see nw of Leeds,I'm in that lol,meh!

Is any more expected after this line?

Thanks 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
12 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Looks like a couple of small cells formed just west of Weymouth and are moving NEE... It's all to play for!

if this really is proper convection I'm hoping we're in for something significant!

Some potential for well scattered heavy, possibly thundery showers developing across parts of C/S and then E England later as that small rash of showers moves E/NE. Will be hit and miss in nature, but maybe quite potent if they do get going.

Those showers are approaching me now, but do not look like developing further before reaching here. Clouds look flat on the horizon and rainfall on radar is light. Instability has pretty much been swept from here.

Edited by Chris K

Posted

Anvils from the storms over Lancs/Yorks visible in the clearer skies here, looks to be some embedded convection building along the southern side.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Chris K said:

Some potential for well scattered heavy, possibly thundery showers developing across parts of C/S and then E England later as that small rash of showers moves E/NE. Will be hit and miss in nature, but maybe quite potent if they do get going.

Those showers are approaching me now, but do not look like developing further before reaching here. Clouds look flat on the horizon and rainfall on radar is light. Instability has pretty much been swept from here.

Got up to 27°C here and rising.

very humid too. Dunno about instability the skies don't look that unstable but there's plenty of energy and moisture here.

obviously something is missing. It's not like we can have ALL the ingredients for a storm!

• Like 1

Posted

Does that line of storms leaving Lancashire mark the boundary between air masses ie cold front?

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

2016-07-20 (1).png

Scotland looks like fairy lights with all those strikes lol

• Like 1