Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 16/07/16 onwards

Posted

Also, just to clarify, I meant Estofex issuing a forecast tomorrow, not for tomorow.  Although there will be a lot of CAPE tomorrow afternoon, likely to be free of storms pretty much everywhere until late Tues evening when destabilisation arrives for NI and then Scotland.  Weds morning sees second round over SW/Wales/poss. W Midlands, moving NNE. 

Edited by weather09
  • Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Would imagine Estofex will indeed go with a level 2 tomorrow for Wales, N England, and Scotland, where all factors relevant for severe convective weather will coincide.  For here, best case scenario we might just scrape it lol. ECM and 00z GFS have slightly more veer to the winds aloft, but destabilisation really occurring over aforementioned regions, so.. Who knows.

Next few meso. model runs should be interesting.

Can I just say that your posts are always extremely informative and accurate during convective periods! Thanks very much for them :) I'm going to be studying meteorology at uni and this forum has definitely helped a lot with understanding the science behind weather.

Very interesting to see that my area may be in the running for thunderstorms. It's been 10 years since we've had anything more than a pulse storm here - the last proper thunderstorm was May 2006, when an amazing MCS developed. July 1st last year was probably the best potential my area could have but the thunderstorms sadly developed to the east of here. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

What's the closest place worth chasing to in terms of people residing in the London area? Bristol? South Wales?

my real concern is that most storm activity is going to be in the far north overnight and then Wales and Midlands during rush hour and into the afternoon. This would make chasing anything unjustifiable for me :-(

Posted

Will the eastward shift happen!? Its all to play for yet...

I can see it now, Derbyshire gets a biblical storm whilst im here in Lincolnshire.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
24 minutes ago, sn0wman said:

Can I just say that your posts are always extremely informative and accurate during convective periods! Thanks very much for them :) I'm going to be studying meteorology at uni and this forum has definitely helped a lot with understanding the science behind weather.

Very interesting to see that my area may be in the running for thunderstorms. It's been 10 years since we've had anything more than a pulse storm here - the last proper thunderstorm was May 2006, when an amazing MCS developed. July 1st last year was probably the best potential my area could have but the thunderstorms sadly developed to the east of here. 

Hey man, I'm in a similar situation as you and being on this forum for 4 years it's being an amazing experience to be part of this forum and have learnt very much! I hope we see an MCS clatter the whole west of England hehe!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Hey man, I'm in a similar situation as you and being on this forum for 4 years it's being an amazing experience to be part of this forum and have learnt very much! I hope we see an MCS clatter the whole west of England hehe!

Now that would nice but to be honest i dont expect to see anything tomorrow hope im wrong.

Posted
12 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

What's the closest place worth chasing to in terms of people residing in the London area? Bristol? South Wales?

my real concern is that most storm activity is going to be in the far north overnight and then Wales and Midlands during rush hour and into the afternoon. This would make chasing anything unjustifiable for me :-(

I would think, head up the M4, then A419/417 towards M5, good spot up by the Air Balloon roundabout (on the Cotswold edge, so good views), from there you could then go up the M5 if needed or head onto the A49 to Hereford and then up to the A5, you'd be well North West of Brum then.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
20 minutes ago, ChezWeather said:

I can see it now, Derbyshire gets a biblical storm whilst im here in Lincolnshire.

The trend seems to be northwards and westward so unlikely to switch back east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow
32 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Bristol!!!!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good Luck there.

Don't think anyone has ever chased anything in Bristol, except perhaps George Ferguson.

Edited by AWD
Add on.
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Seeing what looks to be a line of towering cumulus over Lincs way! Something to keep an eye on this afternoon and into the evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Yep soaked outside school nothing on radar yet 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
43 minutes ago, MrNooo said:

I would think, head up the M4, then A419/417 towards M5, good spot up by the Air Balloon roundabout (on the Cotswold edge, so good views), from there you could then go up the M5 if needed or head onto the A49 to Hereford and then up to the A5, you'd be well North West of Brum then.

Sounds like sound advice, and also sounds like a fair way but I'll do anything for a good storm!

Posted

looks like the heat is going to fizzle out with a whimper here. Ahhh well, at least I got some summer weather finally!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights
4 hours ago, John Hodgson said:

Yes! It bugs me as much as when the media use "mini tornado" etc. I get it on a spring pulse storm like day when there's the odd crack of thunder, but not when there's a risk of severe thunderstorms. 

"Mini Tornado" :angry::angry::angry::angry: or "What appeared to be" (a tornado) :angry::angry::angry::angry: Grrrrrr.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Is there any chance of anything down south further into the weekend? I know its a way away yet, but I need some hope dammit! I'd even settle for some pulse storms at this point!!!

Edited by Windblade

I was cheering the Netweather update this morning as they mentioned 'thunderstorms' for Tuesday. I read on and see the vocabulary switch to 'thundery downpours' for Wednesday's forecast. Don't go all BBC on us Netweather! :(

1 hour ago, ChezWeather said:

We can but hope! :p

Posted

Manchester TAF short-term is going for rain showers into the evening tonight.

Just as I say that, there looks to be a small cell towards the Stockport area, very localised.

Edited by SNOW_JOKE

Posted
1 hour ago, MrNooo said:

Birdlip has a fantastic view to the West. Ideal for storms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

Oh no I sense a 2012 situation coming again, super cells in the north and down here it will be hot and sticky with wall to wall blue sky! 

• Like 1