Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I see the same trees starting to turn in August every year, regardless of the weather and nothing to do with disease, then descending into their full autumn plumage during September. Some trees are earlier than others in this regard and that's a fact. Some will shed in September and others (like the oak) will not shed fully until November. You'll find many of the UK native trees will hold onto their leaves for longer than some of the non native varieties, most likely due to the non native varieties being more susceptible to changes in light levels.

Some trees lose their leaves earlier - but I've never seen it in August. September, yes - some start changing colour towards the end of the month, but not many. For most of the month the vast majority of trees will still be green. Early November is probably peak colour time around here.

Certainly, no changing of colour here - but I'll keep an eye on things as the month progresses. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning all :)
I hear what people are saying about lack of rain causing a false autumn, and leaves turning etc, but on Wednesday I popped over to the Ffestiniog Railway, in the top left hand corner of Wales, and just outside of Tanygrisiau station I noticed these trees!! 
Now being just a mile outside of Blaenau Ffestiniog I know that lack of rain certainly isn't a problem.
False autumn, or genuinely on the turn? ... I'll let you folks decide :pardon:

IMG_8919.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I see the same trees starting to turn in August every year, regardless of the weather and nothing to do with disease, then descending into their full autumn plumage during September. Some trees are earlier than others in this regard and that's a fact. Some will shed in September and others (like the oak) will not shed fully until November. You'll find many of the UK native trees will hold onto their leaves for longer than some of the non native varieties, most likely due to the non native varieties being more susceptible to changes in light levels.

The horse-chestnut is one of the first to turn but no sign here as yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matthew Wilson said:

The horse-chestnut is one of the first to turn but no sign here as yet.

Horse chestnuts have been turning much earlier than usual in recent years as most are now affected by a leaf miner that spread up from the continent. It makes the leaves go brown as early as late July. Doesn't seem to harm the tree but looks ugly, sadly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dangerous55019 said:

Morning all :)
I hear what people are saying about lack of rain causing a false autumn, and leaves turning etc, but on Wednesday I popped over to the Ffestiniog Railway, in the top left hand corner of Wales, and just outside of Tanygrisiau station I noticed these trees!! 
Now being just a mile outside of Blaenau Ffestiniog I know that lack of rain certainly isn't a problem.
False autumn, or genuinely on the turn? ... I'll let you folks decide :pardon:

IMG_8919.JPG

It's autumn all year in that part of the country.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The earliest trees to change are always the horse chestnuts it seems, which usually starts to happen in September. Almost all other trees stay green until about mid-October, with peak colour and then leaf fall in mid-November. Some trees such as planes won't lose their leaves until December.

Cherries seem to have a long leaf season, leafing out in March, and not losing them until well into November.

The spring this year was fairly poor for foliage development, it took until the end of April/start of May for most leaves to appear. That's about 2 weeks later than normal.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Everything's still green and summery here tree wise as it usually is well into September at least. Sure there might be the isolated branch/tree showing colour if look but that's normal and I don't take that to mean Autumn is arriving or a significant sign of Autumn really. 

I just hope we don't get a bland Autumn like last year was here (and some other seasons recently), i.e getting progressively more above average, vastly reducing our (already low) seasonal temperature decline, some anticyclonic gloom and lots of SW winds and cloud around high pressure to the south/SE but little of interest weather wise.

Yes, last Autumn was utterly grim. We didn't reach 20C again after the August bank holiday weekend, but were still hitting 16C in December. With the temperatures just becoming more above average as the Autumn went on, it just felt like we had the same weather for four months with the light and sunshine levels dropping and that was it. Anything but that this year!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind an October like 2003 - it was a nice crisp month with quite a bit of frost and sunshine, I remember the leaves looked incredible. If it's supposed to be a drier than normal Autumn then there should be some nice chilly nights with pleasant days.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be very happy with a repeat of September 2015 & 2012. Both nice, calm and tranquil months but with the distinct feeling of winter approaching with some noticeably chilly mornings and fine, fresh days. Autumn 2012 for me felt very old school. October was chilly (especially across Scotland where it was in the top 5 coldest on record in places) and November had some fine frosty spells leading into a very cold first week or so of December. I remember discussion at the time that December 2012 could end up being a classic like 2009 and 2010.

To think we had a period of 10 consecutive months below 71-2000 average from September 2012-June 2013. This was the last period that resembled a spell of cold weather for a long period (-0.9c) and it was certainly very noticeable.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

I'd be very happy with a repeat of September 2015 & 2012. Both nice, calm and tranquil months but with the distinct feeling of winter approaching with some noticeably chilly mornings and fine, fresh days. Autumn 2012 for me felt very old school. October was chilly (especially across Scotland where it was in the top 5 coldest on record in places) and November had some fine frosty spells leading into a very cold first week or so of December. I remember discussion at the time that December 2012 could end up being a classic like 2009 and 2010.

To think we had a period of 10 consecutive months below 71-2000 average from September 2012-June 2013. This was the last period that resembled a spell of cold weather for a long period (-0.9c) and it was certainly very noticeable.

 

 

So gutted that I missed this period as I live in Spain then. I was only back from Christmas and New Year, which in December 2012 was decidedly disgusting.

Wouldn't mind a September 2015 but perhaps with the settled spell at the start of the month. I particularly liked the unsettled spell in the middle which brought some very impressive rainfall rates here.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes xmas 2012 was really horrible. Very mild and overcast from what I remember but of course nothing like 2015. A week or so prior it was very frosty, cold and with a little snow from time to time. Models were suggesting cold weather would see out much of the month but by mid month is just fizzled away and the rest of the month was very mild generally. Since then December's haven't really been the same (but it has been only 3 years!)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Hopefully we don't get a repeat of November 2009 with the horrendous flooding. Or Autumn 2000 which was the wettest on record. It rained almost every day here from mid September into December. http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/uk/interesting/autumn2000.html

Yes or a November like last year, setting the foundation for flooding misery in winter. We've had very mixed autumns in recent years, I've commented on this before, since 2005 they have been either very mild and very dry, such as 2005 and 2006, very mild and generally unsettled or very wet, such 2007, 2011, 2014, 2015, or episodic with notable cool dry conditions or more average wet conditions, 2008, 2010, 2012 and to some extent 2013. The odd one out 2009, which brought an average September, a very dry anticyclonic October and a very mild very wet November - suggestive things were far from normal then, indeed we were slap bang at solar minima..

2010 was the coldest year since 1996 I think, there were a number of below average months, Jan, Feb, Mar, Nov and Dec. Most others were average at best.

My preference would be autumn similiar to 2008 and 2012, these brought lots of dry chilly conditions at times, some wet weather but nothing too troubling and cold wintry ends, leading into a cold wintry start to winter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, B87 said:

An ideal Autumn would have a September like 1959, 2003 or 2006, an October like 1969, 1995 or 2011, and a November like 1994, 2009 or 2015.

That sounds utterly horrendous.

My ideal Autumn would be September 1807, followed by October 1740, and then by November 1782.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes or a November like last year, setting the foundation for flooding misery in winter. We've had very mixed autumns in recent years, I've commented on this before, since 2005 they have been either very mild and very dry, such as 2005 and 2006, very mild and generally unsettled or very wet, such 2007, 2011, 2014, 2015, or episodic with notable cool dry conditions or more average wet conditions, 2008, 2010, 2012 and to some extent 2013. The odd one out 2009, which brought an average September, a very dry anticyclonic October and a very mild very wet November - suggestive things were far from normal then, indeed we were slap bang at solar minima..

2010 was the coldest year since 1996 I think, there were a number of below average months, Jan, Feb, Mar, Nov and Dec. Most others were average at best.

My preference would be autumn similiar to 2008 and 2012, these brought lots of dry chilly conditions at times, some wet weather but nothing too troubling and cold wintry ends, leading into a cold wintry start to winter.

2006 was a wet one was it not? Or it was here anyway. After September 12th, the rest of September was very changeable and often thundery (which was great!). This continued into October which was very wet in my location, again thanks to quite a few thundery outbreaks, especially on the 01st-02nd and 16th. Then November brought the first storms. I didn't mind autumn 2006 too much for it's variety, it was just a little on the mild side. November managed to come out very wet and very sunny here with a lot of convective bright days. Shame about the winter that followed...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Turnedoutniceagain said:

We should start to see some regular single figure night-time minimums soon.

Also it's around the end of the month that we hear the BBC weathermen say "A slight frost in the remote Scottish glens"

Down here we don't start seeing regular single figure mins until early or mid-October.

I believe my first frost date is around the 20-25th November.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, B87 said:

Down here we don't start seeing regular single figure mins until early or mid-October.

I believe my first frost date is around the 20-25th November.

October frosts aren't anymore unusual in London than most of the SE really. As recently as 29th October 2008 there was an air frost at London Heathrow for example (-0.2C).

The Absolute minimum in September and October are actually lower than here.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, reef said:

October frosts aren't anymore unusual in London than most of the SE really. As recently as 29th October 2008 there was an air frost at London Heathrow for example (-0.2C).

The Absolute minimum in September and October are actually lower than here.

That was not normal, though. The day before we'd had October snowfall for the first time in 74 years!

October frosts happen about once every 10 years, whereas in November they occur about twice per month. October first frosts are about as common as December first frosts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

That was not normal, though. The day before we'd had October snowfall for the first time in 74 years!

October frosts happen about once every 10 years, whereas in November they occur about twice per month. October first frosts are about as common as December first frosts.

I don't think reef said it was normal, he was just pointing out that there is no difference in frost frequency between his and your locations in October.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...