Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective Storm/Discussion thread - 11/06/16 onwards

Posted

That cell over London can been seen developing from my back garden. Impressive stuff. Plenty of lightning, but muted thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The storm over Basildon is moving very slowly. It was raining across the street and took several minutes before it reached my side to the South. Another IC flash and several rumbles while typing this reply!

Posted

Nothing on the radar but the sky to the north looks horrendous here, really black, and the clouds at low levels are moving really quickly.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Its moving away but had a few more flashes and rumbles. For a few seconds I definitely saw a thin rope to the north west flank so ran to grab my mums phone to take a pic (still live at home) but by the time I got it it had dissipated. So typical.

EDIT - Another flash and distant rumble. Looks like theres another cell right behind this one heading this way.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Well i have a banging headache right now but don't know if this over my head is going to develope into a storm,the clouds have been going in all directions the past few hours with some good convection going on

here is a few pics from today

this is the start of a cell that got going a few hours ago

DSC00698.JPGDSC00699.JPGDSC00708.JPG

a cb shooting up to my SE

DSC00702.JPG

cell getting closer ,and developing some sort of wall cloud

DSC00712.JPGDSC00714.JPGDSC00716.JPGDSC00694.JPG

can you have horizontal funnels?

DSC00719.JPG

some evaporation from the trees on the hill which developed some low scud,i have a clip of this and i will upload later.

DSC00728.JPG

a couple of pics from yesterday

DSC00689.JPGDSC00690.JPG

edit:torrents of rain coming down now

DSC00695.JPG

DSC00722.JPG

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Darren Bown said:

Nothing on the radar but the sky to the north looks horrendous here, really black, and the clouds at low levels are moving really quickly.

i am under it,  its nothing much ,  looks worse becuase it is dusk 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Storm has passed. Dry now. Another distant rumble. Not sure if its coming from the cell to my east now or the approaching one to my west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fair Weather, Snow, Thunderstorms

I think we can call ourselves part of the continent with this storm :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Didn't expect that today given the amount of cloud around. Best day time storm for a while. Plenty of lightning, thunder and spectacular cloudscapes. Can now see towering CBs at the back of the storm line, with flashes inside the clouds.

• Like 1

Posted

Ok, this next cell is huge and seems to be travelling north east. Might just skim here.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

The Basildon storm hasn't given up yet. Still masses of vertical rain and just now a huge CG and shotgun thunder. Gotta love nature!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I am right in the middle of that donut lol

81.png82.png

Posted

Um, cell is going north east but base of scud along rear flank going south west? Rotation? Cant see the rear fully yet as theres a row of houses in the way...

This thing is huge and is covering the entire skyline from the west all the way to the north.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
4 minutes ago, John Hodgson said:

I really hate that term "mini tornado"! Its usually made up by uk media outlets who don't realise the uk gets tornados, infact it has on average about 100 tornados a year.

Edited by Windblade
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
Just now, Windblade said:

I really hate that term "mini tornado"! Its usually made up by uk media outlets who don't realise the uk has on average about 100 tornados a year.

Yes, weak tornado would make more sense. Its used to sort of separate our tornadoes from the USA. Even when they are formed exactly the same way and when we get full blown supercell storms. 

Posted

Ok, so I still cannot see the base of this second cell. It's literally stopped moving. Hasn't produced any strikes or thunder I don't think (although it was hard to tell earlier with that other active cell moving away).

EDIT - It's begun to move north east now, albiet very slowly.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
1 minute ago, John Hodgson said:

Yes, weak tornado would make more sense. Its used to sort of separate our tornadoes from the USA. Even when they are formed exactly the same way and when we get full blown supercell storms. 

Tell me about it. The same goes for "what appeared to be". It's as if they are in denial that the uk gets tornados. It's either a tornado or it isn't!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe storms and heavy snow
1 minute ago, Windblade said:

Tell me about it. The same goes for "what appeared to be". It's as if they are in denial that the uk gets tornados. It's either a tornado or it isn't!

Haha yes! Even worse is "Mini tornado" In quotation marks, basically the same thing.

Missed out on anything here today. Yesterday evening i had torrential rain but no lightning. 

Posted

just looked at the ustream tower bridge live cam, can see the london  storm  at the back of canary wharf skyscrapers , the lightning is very infrequent though

Posted

Can you see that huge cell to the north (I'm guessing from your location)?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, stormy and I don't dislike rain only cold

Strikes south of Norwich and rain echos intensifying. Getting some rain but nothing too heavy yet.