Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms & Snow.

Great isolated thunderstorm that exploded right over Swansea earlier. There was some decent lightning but didn't mange to capture any. Torrential downpours lead to Local flooding in places and some small hail and gusty winds which i managed to capture on camera.

Edited by Marcus_surfer
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, humid & exciting
3 hours ago, Supacell said:

The Quantock cell was a beast :D

Very frequent flashes of lightning, constant thunder and some nice structure. Only saw 2 cg's but they were powerful.

Awesome day, so glad I stayed another day

I was a bit late for the Ilminster cell, only heard its last few rumbles, but got onto the Quantock cell too :) I was ahead of it for a bit as it was forming just SE of Taunton and got the few snaps below. I followed it to the Quantocks by which time it was overtaking me as it merged with the other cell on the coast. I parked up in the back edge of the storm and watched, lots of ic flashes tho I didnt see any bolts but I reckon I saw the same 2 cgs! The second one was a big surprise as nearly all the rumbling from ic strikes had disappeared away and I was about to move when it hit, the thunder was incredible! When I did move the lanes were blocked in two places, one of which is in the pic below. Wasnt trying that in a ford Ka! There was still a route out tho thankfully. So glad I made the drive today.

The pics are chronological, the first three at 19:02, 19:18 and 19:23 respectively, tho I moved position between 1&2 ofc.

P5280035-1.jpg

P5280037-1.jpg

P5280043-1.jpg

P5280054.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms

Tomorrow does look rather uninspiring, but could be the odd shower around.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 hours ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Tomorrow does look rather uninspiring, but could be the odd shower around.

Every little helps! Wrong supermarket!:oops::rolleyes:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snowstorms
11 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

Every little helps! Wrong supermarket!:oops:

Oh you are a funny one! ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

convective/storm discussion please

Posted

Other than today's low isolated risk, bland outlook for the foreseeable.  Looks like a week Monday before we might see a change to a more favourable upper 500mb pattern, as a ridge tries to build north over southern/central Europe with upper trough approaching from the west. Recent GFS/ECM outputs signalling at this sort of a pattern for a while, so hopefully something to it.

Hope we start to see some proper convective potential soon and none of these marginal days, being as we're heading into summer. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Tuesday night into Wednesday looks  interesting for me. 

Posted

Was going to say it looked like a nothing day but looks as if it's blown off already in northern scotland

Posted

Amazing to see the cells springing to life over northern Scotland this morning. 2 hour animation from the radar: (click it to animate). 

radaranim-2905-scottishcells.gif

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Snow, High Winds.

Showers already developing across Cornwall, don't think we're out of the woods just yet down here...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Well I am back home in Derby today so no chances for me today. I would not be surprised if the odd heavy shower or storm popped off across southern England today along any convergence zones. As has been said though, nothing like the last 2 days.

• Like 1

Posted

This is what we're hoping for...

h500.png mlcape.png

Good heat and moisture advecting from south at sfc/low-levels to build good instability. Negatively tilted upper trough out west and falling heights releasing moderate CAPE. Backed sfc winds and strong and veering winds with height (SW jet winds aloft - follow the 500mb height contours) generating a strongly deep layer sheared environment for severe convective weather.  Also just to note, though the figures over France look insane, it's also properly capped on that frame (CINH is like 600-700J/kg lol), so nothing would arise over there. 

Obviously looong way out, but keeping my eye on late next week and into next.    

• Like 7

Posted
23 minutes ago, weather09 said:

h500.png mlcape.png

Good heat and moisture advecting from south at sfc/low-levels to build good instability. Negatively tilted upper trough out west and falling heights releasing moderate CAPE. Backed sfc winds and strong and veering winds with height (SW jet winds aloft - follow the 500mb height contours) generating a strongly deep layer sheared environment for severe convective weather.  Also just to note, though the figures over France look insane, it's also properly capped on that frame (CINH is like 600-700J/kg lol), so nothing would arise over there. 

We'd probably get a supercell from those charts!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Yes on Sat24 looks like a small thin line of cloud beginning to form and push eastwards over the Kent area. Surface heating hopefully staying strong over the next few hours so a short chase to dorking or beyond not out of the question if things start to pick up over Sussex.

I was wondering if Box Hill might be a good place to head but still think it's too far west for any likely activity. Don't need any more big chase days until there's something significant to expect. Come on summer!!!

On a positive note even if nothing happens we get a rather nice sunny BH Sunday out of it down this way, so win-win :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
1 hour ago, weather09 said:

h500.png mlcape.png

I do admire your optimism I really do

• Like 2

Posted
48 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

With most models agreeing with this setup, I wouldn't call it optimism...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!
52 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

to be fair, W09 doesn't do ramping, he calls it as the model shows and has a good chunk of personal knowledge to enable some pretty accurate forecasting :)

• Like 8

Posted

I wish I had got a pic last sunday (when all the showers we're ongoing last weekend) as it was getting dark I saw a really lovely distant cumulonimbus (sure as hell hope it was) to the north of me. Didn't think to get a pic but really was nice to see (although the trees we're partly obscuring the view of it too)