Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread 25/5/16 onwards

A.J

Posted

Just to add my two pennies - had fairly infrequent lightning here but some of the strikes were tremendousq, both bright (pink/yellow) and some of the loudest I've ever heard! Lots of people country wide seem to be echoing those sentiments.. guessing there was a lot of CAPE around this afternoon!

Hope everyone's enjoyed their show and if you missed out, it's only just June.. give it time!

Edited by Ellozee
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and tornadoes
1 minute ago, Surrey said:

2 simultaneous CGS hit close to my house with cracking thunder very very cool scared the s** out of me 

So envious but fab you have seen so much and at night! That's why i'm a pyrotecnician, i can create big flashes and booms whenever i want :-)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
3 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

Just too add my two pennies - had fairly infrequent lightning here but some of the strikes were tremendousq, both bright (pink/yellow) and some of the loudest I've ever heard! Lots of people country wide seem to be echoing those sentiments.. guessing there was a lot of CAPE around this afternoon!

Hope everyone's enjoyed their show and if you missed out, it's only just June.. give it time!

seems like I have missed it but I'm not particulary bothered

Posted

The new cell just south of Reading looks like it really does mean business!!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow and photographically interesting weather

A couple of flashes with thunder in Peterborough in last few minutes

Posted
2 minutes ago, MartinD said:

The new cell just south of Reading looks like it really does mean business!!!!

That's developed from the earlier Oxford one.Skirted round us, though we could see flashes in the distance.I think we've seen all our electrics for tonight hereabouts:)

Posted

Only just got power back! That MK/Beds storm was one of the more impressive I've had here, plus I was actually in the centre of it for once! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

The cell passing south east between Basingstoke and Farnborough is putting out sferics every few minutes. Very bright white IC from here. The last two strikes have been to the north east and south east of here. I'm about 3-6 miles away.

Posted

Well i think any chance of anything happening here in Worcester is well and truly over tonight unless i go outside and fire some titanium salute firework shells lol

So what do you the think the chances are for anything exciting tomorrow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

Precip intensifying near Chesham - could spark soon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Have been looking out of the bathroom window to see flashes of lightning to the NE....probably that cell just to the NE of Macclesfield. To me, looks like the winds will revert to an E'ly by tomorrow morning so should be better for here tomorrow as any storms fire along the higher ground of the peaks and push westwards

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

ukprec.png

• Like 1

Posted

Lots of sferics now from that cell North of Macclesfield

Looping the radar looks very strange at the moment, almost like the precip is moving in reverse 

Posted

18.2 c outside right now and my wonderful idea i had to see the whole city of Worcester and crate an attic conversion bedroom 26.2c not such a good idea lol

Posted
4 minutes ago, MartinD said:

Well i think any chance of anything happening here in Worcester is well and truly over tonight unless i go outside and fire some titanium salute firework shells lol

So what do you the think the chances are for anything exciting tomorrow?

does seem quiet tonight, think the best was with the strikes earlier over kidderminster again

forecast showers tomorrow evening so may get something out of it then

but after all it is only june

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unexpected gusts of wind, and cumulus clouds in rude and amusing shapes.

Been quiet for the last five minutes or so and the latest radar output shows a weakening in the cell east of Basingstoke. Surprised at how quickly everything to the north has weakened also. I'm guessing the cell pulled in the energy and killed the others off. 

EDIT: Posting about the storm weakening seemed to work. Another cracking flash just then, this time to the ESE. 

EDIT 2: Really bursting back into life as it moves off. Some very vivid flashes and rumbles.

Edited by Paul Roberts
  • Like 1

Posted

Looks like Macclesfield are having a wonderful light show right about now...!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

managed to spot a few faint flickers way out to the east from the storm near Basingstoke........hoping for that heavy shower between Gloucester and Cirencester to do something as it's making a beeline for me

Posted
1 minute ago, yozza1987 said:

does seem quiet tonight, think the best was with the strikes earlier over kidderminster again

forecast showers tomorrow evening so may get something out of it then

but after all it is only june

Totally agree with you, i was lucky enough to see that cell grow from the earlier one over Malvern, a nice couple of CG's as well from that storm. What part of Worcester are you from? Always looking to make a electro friend :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Have been looking out of the bathroom window to see flashes of lightning to the NE....probably that cell just to the NE of Macclesfield. To me, looks like the winds will revert to an E'ly by tomorrow morning so should be better for here tomorrow as any storms fire along the higher ground of the peaks and push westwards

ukwind.png

ukwind.png

ukprec.png

Sounds promising for here too, that W'ly/NW'ly flow  spoiled my  chances today. :-) You were right with your post this morning, thought you might be but I didn't want to believe it. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
3 minutes ago, MartinD said:

Looks like Macclesfield are having a wonderful light show right about now...!

They are, flashing every few seconds to the NE

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, snow and ice. The usual.
3 minutes ago, Paul Roberts said:

Been quiet for the last five minutes or so and the latest radar output shows a weakening in the cell east of Basingstoke. Surprised at how quickly everything to the north has weakened also. I'm guessing the cell pulled in the energy and killed the others off. 

EDIT: Posting about the storm weakening seemed to work. Another cracking flash just then, this time to the ESE. 

Yes Paul, i'm now seeing big flashes to my N from that stuff.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MartinD said:

Totally agree with you, i was lucky enough to see that cell grow from the earlier one over Malvern, a nice couple of CG's as well from that storm. What part of Worcester are you from? Always looking to make a electro friend :-)

unfortunately  i missed it growing due to being on shift, I'm over warndon facing towards tolladine, not a bad view and ideal for listening out for thunder, what part of worcester are you in bud?

Posted
5 minutes ago, ajpoolshark said:

managed to spot a few faint flickers way out to the east from the storm near Basingstoke........hoping for that heavy shower between Gloucester and Cirencester to do something as it's making a beeline for me

Looks quite promising but not sure it will produce anything, however fingers crossed for you.