Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
1 minute ago, Matthew Wilson said:

My calculations give me 15.4 to the 23rd and i cannot see imo any less than this in the last week. 2010 had 15.2 and is currently the warmest between 07-15

Are you taking into account the downward corrections?

Posted
4 minutes ago, Matthew Wilson said:

At the mo i only figure -0.1. The last week will reveal this months fate imo. 

Time will tell, as always.:)

• Like 1

Posted
9 hours ago, cheese said:

For anyone interested, these are the hottest months in the UK since the turn of the 20th century:

July 2006
July 1983
August 1995
August 1997
July 1976
August 1975
July 1995
August 1947
July 1921
August 2003

Interesting how there were so few hot Summer months prior to the 1970s. Although I presume these are based on the CET figures for individual calendar months and that there are perhaps 30-31 day periods that crossover 2 different months which would have been just as hot or hotter. Nevertheless it seems that hot Summer months are as relatively uncommon as cold Winter months in the UK's climate with the last hot one being a decade ago now. In fact the 2010s decade is still yet to achieve such a Summer month and if we don't get one before 2020 it will be the first decade since the 1960s not to achieve one. There's still July and August as well as Summers 2017, 2018 and 2019 to change this though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

It's been quite a muggy June so far here - unusual in that June tends to be the freshest of the summer months. However, it's also been a dull month so far with only 60 hours being scraped here up to what is now midmonth!

Posted
9 hours ago, weather09 said:

Warm and sticky summer's night tonight.  Temp. 13C; dewpoint 13C. Sultry and saturated. Like the Amazon atm.

hyperbole much?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
10 hours ago, weather09 said:

Warm and sticky summer's night tonight.  Temp. 13C; dewpoint 13C. Sultry and saturated. Like the Amazon atm.

May be a tad ott with the amazon bit,suspect it may be slightly more humid there if the 20ft snakes and crocs are anything to go by:)

Posted

Lots of tall trees around here, and coupled with the steaminess of last night, felt Amazon-like. Dull and wet at the moment - typical summer's day though.  Extreme oppressiveness of the last week quite unusual.  Especially for northern parts. 

Posted

Yep, urban jungle here as well, which creates the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect. Not a problem for somewhere like, say, Leeds, for example, as there's not much there. The reason why typical summers there are cool and cloudy.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
13 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Yep, urban jungle here as well, which creates the Urban Heat Island (UHI) effect. Not a problem for somewhere like, say, Leeds, for example, as there's not much there. The reason why typical summers there are cool and cloudy.  

Yup Leeds is more built down than built up, when compared to London and Birmingham , so not so much heat is trapped and you don't get the stifling Amazonian heat which we get every summer, lasted three months last year:bad:

Edited by lassie23
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
49 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Church Fenton has sunnier summers than Birmingham.

Posted
14 minutes ago, weather09 said:

Aye, but no match for the tropical urban jungle here, though. High doopoints.  Need air con down here.  Fan heaters up north.  

Birmingham summers are not that warm.  Temperatures even cooler than our 2007, 2011 and 2012.

Posted

This is turning into quite a run of onshore winds here now. You have to go back to the 22nd May to find an occasion where the wind wasn't in the 135 degrees from N to SE.

In June the wind has been exclusively E or NE since the 1st.

As a result we're almost a degree below the long-term average with an average max of 16.9C. Just one day has seen a maximum above 20C.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Lol this is such an amusing conversation. Anyone would think we were talking about Belo Horizonte not Birmingham!

• Like 1

Posted

34C top temp. last year - hottest ever was 36C  Generally though we can see days of low-upper 20s spread out across the season. But it's really that humidity which stands out. Dewpoint 11C last night. Crickets kept me awake for a bit, but turned the air con on and had a sound night's sleep after that.  

Northern areas a tad void of that, tbh.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
17 minutes ago, weather09 said:

34C top temp. last year - hottest ever was 36C  Generally though we can see days of low-upper 20s spread out across the season. But it's really that humidity which stands out. Dewpoint 11C last night. Crickets kept me awake for a bit, but turned the air con on and had a sound night's sleep after that.  

Northern areas a tad void of that, tbh.

Oh I don't know - today we have a dew point of 13C and it's very humid and tropical. I thought I was in Florida for a moment. Shame I don't have A/C for these horrible humid days. Last night it was 10C and I nearly died of heat exhaustion! 

I can't even imagine what life is like in Brum - I mean, it's such an urban jungle and is so humid and hot! I feel your pain brother. People in Miami have nothing on you.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted

Least you understand.  Just gotta get on with though.  I had thought of moving further north, perhaps maybe to Leeds.  But then after sobering up thought best to stick here. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Yes, probably wise. I think your accent might scare the locals anyway.

Posted

Indeed, can't imagine they'd be well versed in proper pronunciation. Such language would alarm the lower orders.  Probably best to leave things as they are. 

Steering back on topic, another sultry 'sarvo in Brum. 

• Like 2

Posted

A cold afternoon today - only 15c with heavy showers, though it was 19c earlier (a poor day for June though).

Is summer ever going to arrive in the SE?

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 hour ago, weather09 said:

Least you understand.  Just gotta get on with though.  I had thought of moving further north, perhaps maybe to Leeds.  But then after sobering up thought best to stick here. 

Doesn't Leeds pretty much have one of the worst accents of the UK, you'd be surrounded by people who sound like Mel B :rofl:

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 2