Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
17 minutes ago, B87 said:

I think most Novembers have a couple of sunny 16-18c days in the first week.  It's the 2nd week onwards where there is zero chance of mild or warm temps.

Well considering much of last December was exceptionally mild and borderline warm at times, I'd completely disagree.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Well considering much of last December was exceptionally mild and borderline warm at times, I'd completely disagree.

The difference being that very mild days (+15c) in December are usually cloudy, rainy or windy. Through the winter most sunny days are cold, around 5-7c, whereas the milder ones 11-13+ are cloudy or wet.  December also doesn't see 15-16c plus every year, whereas almost all Novembers get 16+.

It seems that the first week of November is the latest that mild days are accompanied by sun.  The earliest I'd say is mid-Feb.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, cheese said:

A mild, sunny October would be nice. By November, warm and settled weather is almost impossible to achieve - although last November proved that it can happen. 18C with full sunshine in November is certainly an odd experience. Mild weather in November is usually accompanied by cloud/rain.

2011 also had its warm sunny moments in November. In fact, that whole autumn was just bizarre.

As we see the Atlantic gather some seasonal nous into September, coming up against high pressure over Europe, maybe some nice late plumes. Still haven't had thunder from one this summer!

• Like 1

Posted

November 2010 was a weird month, with some mild and sunny days early (peaking at 18.5c), but then ending with the 3 coldest November maxima ever here (1.5c on 27th, 29th and 1.6c on 28th).  The horror show December 2010 followed, where every day but 1 was well below average.

Edited by B87

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
8 minutes ago, B87 said:

Dec 2010 horror show? eh? best winter month after 2000! makes a change from the usual rain Atlantic and 12°

• Like 4

Posted
10 minutes ago, B87 said:

November 2010 was a weird month, with some mild and sunny days early (peaking at 18.5c), but then ending with the 3 coldest November maxima ever here (1.5c on 27th, 29th and 1.6c on 28th).  The horror show December 2010 followed, where every day but 1 was well below average.

One man's horror show is another's dream month :D

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

December 2010 - the best winter month I have personally experienced in the UK. Very cold, lots of snow - but also very sunny, and dry. I remember many days with the low sun shimmering off the snow, like I was in Scandinavia or something. 

B87 likes mild winters, so didn't appreciate December 2010.

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, cheese said:

December 2010 - the best winter month I have personally experienced in the UK. Very cold, lots of snow - but also very sunny, and dry. I remember many days with the low sun shimmering off the snow, like I was in Scandinavia or something. 

Not only was December 2010 our coldest on record (beating Dec 1981), it was also the cloudiest on record, with just 18.5 hrs of sun (the 10/11 winter was the cloudiest winter on record).  I think you would've hated it more down here than in Leeds. 

Another winter I recall you raving about was 14/15 (?), which was very sunny up there, but barely average here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Summer continues for the south next week the north-west will be more prone to some rain where you're closer to the low

34535.png

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/37238104

Edited by Summer Sun
  • Like 2

Posted

Anyway we've drifted off a little bit here, my fault as well, back to summery 2016 things...there are still 2 and a half hours left...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Nick L said:

Anyway we've drifted off a little bit here, my fault as well, back to summery 2016 things...there are still 2 and a half hours left...

well, maybe not, models and SS post above, summer maybe continuing?

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

well, maybe not, models and SS post above, summer maybe continuing?

The first half of September here is warmer than the first half of June, so it's not that surprising when we have 25c and sun at this time of year.  I think most people consider the first half of September to be late summer anyway (obviously not for statistical purposes).

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Thundery September anyone? :D

h850t850eu.pngukcapeli.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes plenty of summer yet ,probably better weather than June and July to come  similar to Early March delivering good winter weather..

Posted
37 minutes ago, B87 said:

Not only was December 2010 our coldest on record (beating Dec 1981), it was also the cloudiest on record, with just 18.5 hrs of sun (the 10/11 winter was the cloudiest winter on record).  I think you would've hated it more down here than in Leeds. 

Another winter I recall you raving about was 14/15 (?), which was very sunny up there, but barely average here.

Yes, it was a sunny winter here. Mild winters don't bother me, as long as they are sunny. 2007/2008 was another mid winter that was sunny, though January was very wet.

And yeah, 18.5 hours of sun for an entire month is diabolical. I'm struggling to think of the last time we had a winter month that dull here.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some lovely charts showing up for the next week or two, lots of warm sun to enjoy, with the chance of storms. Plus the heat moaners should feel less stressed as the nights are starting to draw in quickly now and will be much cooler than even a few weeks ago. Wind and rain can stay away for a few more weeks imho, plenty of time for all that.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 hours ago, B87 said:

The difference being that very mild days (+15c) in December are usually cloudy, rainy or windy. Through the winter most sunny days are cold, around 5-7c, whereas the milder ones 11-13+ are cloudy or wet.  December also doesn't see 15-16c plus every year, whereas almost all Novembers get 16+.

It seems that the first week of November is the latest that mild days are accompanied by sun.  The earliest I'd say is mid-Feb.

I wouldn't call 5-7C in December cold....saying that, last year it would have felt like the Arctic.

• Like 1

Posted

To be fair, we had only slightly above average rain here last December, and I remember it being 16 without the aid of a storm.  remember being in the garden with a slight breeze in my T-shirt thinking wtf. 

Posted
31 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I wouldn't call 5-7C in December cold....saying that, last year it would have felt like the Arctic.

Thats around 1-4c below average down here.  I'd assume most people would be calling temps of 9-13c 'mild', even though the departure from average is the same.

Posted
19 minutes ago, March said:

To be fair, we had only slightly above average rain here last December, and I remember it being 16 without the aid of a storm.  remember being in the garden with a slight breeze in my T-shirt thinking wtf. 

I had dawn chorus last December, birds singing away. I say dawn, more 4-5am in the morning.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
2 hours ago, cheese said:

December 09 knocked 10 into a cocked hat here, albeit a late starter. Not sure what any of this has to do with Summer 2016, mind. :D

Posted
3 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

December 09 knocked 10 into a cocked hat here, albeit a late starter. Not sure what any of this has to do with Summer 2016, mind. :D

The rime frosts of December 2010 were simply stunning here, never seen anything like it before. As cheese said, there was almost an Arctic feel to the weather that month.

December 2009...the biggest memory I have of that month is the freezing rain that coated some surfaces an inch thick round here. It was lethal on any untreated pavements.

Posted

December 2009 was a pretty good month too, white Christmas that year with a good few inches on the ground, and blue sky to boot. Wonderful.

And to get another white Christmas the following year.. unbelievable. It's hard enough to get one white Christmas in low-lying England, let alone two in succession. 

In December 2009 I was 22 and had never seen snow on Christmas, either falling or accumulated. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
12 minutes ago, cheese said:

December 2009 was a pretty good month too, white Christmas that year with a good few inches on the ground, and blue sky to boot. Wonderful.

And to get another white Christmas the following year.. unbelievable. It's hard enough to get one white Christmas in low-lying England, let alone two in succession. 

In December 2009 I was 22 and had never seen snow on Christmas, either falling or accumulated. 

December 25th 2004 was a goodun here...Good old Irish Sea streamer. Snowed all day pretty much. Sat eating my Christmas dinner watching the snow come down heavily. Christmas day 2010 was just pure idyllic...temp stayed well below freezing all day with thick snow on the ground down at the pub we were having our meal at.

Edited by CreweCold