Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

If June wasn't atrociously bad, then there wouldn't be much good or bad with this summer; it would just be a normal British summer.

June having less sun than a normal December when you account for the day length has gone a long way to annoying most people who just want seasonable conditions.  I also think that the almost permanent below average sunshine and poor Augusts of the last 11 years has resulted in people having less tolerance for below average filth, than they would have if a poor year or 2 was just a blip.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
23 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

Or maybe there are people on here who appreciate the current spell of weather more than any other kind in Summer? Many are extremely grateful not to be experiencing a repeat of 2006 or 1995.

To some it seems that it's not a good summer unless we experience 3 months straight of 35c and 24 hour daylight.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

To some it seems that it's not a good summer unless we experience 3 months straight of 35c and 24 hour daylight.

Or they just want to see a normal summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

To be honest, the last two days have been summer perfection, and for once I speak for everyone. The last two days have resembled a cooler version of Madrid's climate - 25-27C during the day, 20-22C at dinner time, 11-13C by the end of the night. Keeps the summer lovers happy during the day and heat whiners happy at night. If only more spells could be like this, it's not exactly a hard synoptic to get. Would much rather this current spell to weeks of cloudy cool dross and 2-3 days of summer all at once with temps of 30-35C.

If we get thunderstorms in the second half of this week, a reload of warmth/heat and a good bank holiday weekend then I will be able to call this August decent. Just hope it doesn't go to pot as when the Atlantic breaks through, it could be here for quite a while!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The last week-or-so has been pretty decent, IMO, and I'm so glad that the 36C forecasts never came to fruition...For a whole three days now, I've been able to visit the shops without sweating like pig...What on earth is wrong with 22-26C?:D

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

The last week-or-so has been pretty decent, IMO, and I'm so glad that the 36C forecasts never came to fruition...For a whole three days now, I've been able to visit the shops without sweating like pig...What on earth is wrong with 22-26C?:D

Not a lot really, if it's mainly sunny. I'd be quite happy with that for 3 months of summer, and they're pretty average conditions for my part of the UK to be honest. 36C is too hot for 99% of us I'd say, no real need for those temps of course but I'd still like to experience it once a year or so here. When we get good summer weather the UK is a wonderful place to be. Sadly, we don't get it nearly enough for my liking. Far too much cloud, wind, and cool temps and that has been worse this last decade or so. And the demise of decent thundery episodes....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Not a lot really, if it's mainly sunny. I'd be quite happy with that for 3 months of summer, and they're pretty average conditions for my part of the UK to be honest. 36C is too hot for 99% of us I'd say, no real need for those temps of course but I'd still like to experience it once a year or so here. When we get good summer weather the UK is a wonderful place to be. Sadly, we don't get it nearly enough for my liking. Far too much cloud, wind, and cool temps and that has been worse this last decade or so. And the demise of decent thundery episodes....

Quite right! This country would be such a fantastic place to live if the weather would just get a ruddy grip! The number of foreign friends I have from all over that love the UK but the only thing they complain about, which has actually drive two out of the country, is the weather.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Quite right! This country would be such a fantastic place to live if the weather would just get a ruddy grip! The number of foreign friends I have from all over that love the UK but the only thing they complain about, which has actually drive two out of the country, is the weather.

Well we do have to be realistic as it is the UK. It's never been a land renowned for reliable good weather lol. Same goes for other parts of NW Europe. Doesn't stop me, every single summer, hoping for a blinder! My main issue is that summer feels like it has changed for the worse in recent years. Not so much in temps but in gloomy, grey, nothingness that lasts for days or weeks on end. Many will say "oh, but at least it's dry" or "it's usable". That is certainly true but it still saps the joy out of me. More sunshine alone would make the UK so much nicer!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I wouldn't change the UK climate for love nor money. The diversity of it, is what gained my interest in weather, then buying weather stations, logging data, and coming on to forums to discuss it.

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

I wouldn't change the UK climate for love nor money. The diversity of it, is what gained my interest in weather, then buying weather stations, logging data, and coming on to forums to discuss it.

I'd agree with you, pre 2007. When there was more diversity and less of the recent runs of weather getting 'stuck' in a certain mode for ages. Have always wished for more sunshine here but I used to love all the ups and downs that got thrown at us!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

Diverse? Oh please.. the UK is no more diverse than a multitude of other climates in the world, and much less diverse than many. There is nothing particularly special or appealing about our climate - other than the lack of extremes. You will certainly experience more diversity in the weather and more distinct seasons in Germany or Poland than you will here.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
33 minutes ago, cheese said:

Diverse? Oh please.. the UK is no more diverse than a multitude of other climates in the world, and much less diverse than many. There is nothing particularly special or appealing about our climate - other than the lack of extremes. You will certainly experience more diversity in the weather and more distinct seasons in Germany or Poland than you will here.

First time I agree with you. The UK climate is about as diverse as a magnolia themed colour chart.

Posted

The UK climate diverse? It's drab and samey! We have a temperate climate, noted for not being particularly diverse.

I've lived in the US plains, now THAT'S diverse.

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

The UK climate diverse? It's drab and samey! We have a temperate climate, noted for not being particularly diverse.

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I had a weather event which made me genuinely excited. Going back in time, the first thing that hits my mind is the Feb 2014 storm force winds that blew the roof off Crewe Railway station. 30 months ago now! 

Posted
4 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I genuinely cannot remember the last time I had a weather event which made me genuinely excited. Going back in time, the first thing that hits my mind is the Feb 2014 storm force winds that blew the roof off Crewe Railway station. 30 months ago now! 

I had a great thunderstorm in Reading in June 2014, but to be honest I think I have to go all the way back to December 2010 to reminisce on a prolonged exciting weather event.

Summer very rarely excites me, it's a dull season weather wise. Some will say "what about the storms?" - and I will reply "what storms?"! I can count one one hand the number of proper thunderstorms with frequent lightning that I've seen in this country. More often than not they're either thundery showers or messy MCS rubbish - known in the storm chaser community as a cluster f***.

Edited by Nick L

Posted
Just now, Nick L said:

I had a great thunderstorm in Reading in June 2014, but to be honest I think I have to go all the way back to December 2010 to reminisce on a prolonged exciting weather event.

Summer very rarely excites me, it's a dull season weather wise. Some will say "what about the storms?" - and I will reply "what storms?"!

I remember summer storms growing up....some people say it's selective memory but at least there is a memory of storms occurring! Not even had a memory to select from over the past few years!

Posted
Just now, CreweCold said:

I remember summer storms growing up....some people say it's selective memory but at least there is a memory of storms occurring! Not even had a memory to select from over the past few years!

Hence why I have to travel across the pond every year to get my weather fix! I don't particularly remember strong storms growing up either. The one I got in Reading a couple of years back was by far the best I've seen in this country, and admittedly it was a belter. 

I must say though, I'm looking forward to this depression to come barrelling through over the weekend, at last a bit of excitement!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Hence why I have to travel across the pond every year to get my weather fix! I don't particularly remember strong storms growing up either. The one I got in Reading a couple of years back was by far the best I've seen in this country, and admittedly it was a belter. 

I must say though, I'm looking forward to this depression to come barrelling through over the weekend, at last a bit of excitement!

I remember plenty of brilliant events as a kid, wouldn't be able to put a date on them though! I remember one event whilst travelling down to Devon on holiday one year. Constant thunder, lightning and flooding. May have been August 1995/6 ish as I was on school holidays! From memory I'm convinced it was an MCS type system.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

I remember plenty of brilliant events as a kid, wouldn't be able to put a date on them though! I remember one event whilst travelling down to Devon on holiday one year. Constant thunder, lightning and flooding. May have been August 1995/6 ish as I was on school holidays! From memory I'm convinced it was an MCS type system.

If you can get a good MCS they can be brilliant. I'm just not particularly keen on them because of the times they have ruined an entire day's storm chase when they linger into the mornings. Annoyingly I missed the supercells that went through the Midlands in June 2012. Have we had any genuine supercells this summer? I can't recall any!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick L said:

If you can get a good MCS they can be brilliant. I'm just not particularly keen on them because of the times they have ruined an entire day's storm chase when they linger into the mornings. Annoyingly I missed the supercells that went through the Midlands in June 2012. Have we had any genuine supercells this summer? I can't recall any!

Well if we have I've certainly missed them!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The British Isles is very well known for its changeable, diverse and variable weather, that's a fact. It can't be like that in every location, I agree, but it is here, and that's why I enjoy it so much.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
8 hours ago, Nick L said:

I think its toss up between the US plains and the Canadian plains..talk about swings and roundabouts with regard to climate and day to day even hour by hour changes you never see here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

From a totally IMBY perspective, I have to say that the past two to three days have been absolutely perfect summer weather for me, not too hot, pleasant at night, and lots of lovely blue skies and sunshine, so you can get out and about to enjoy things as I have been doing :D
Ok, so the thunder risk has down graded to virtually nil, but being able to enjoy some days this summer without being cooked alive, or moaning about the dreaded grey infill, has more than made this current fine spell very enjoyable :D
I just hope that summer 2017 is more like the past couple of days for the majority of it. :rolleyes:

IMG_9191.JPG