Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
9 minutes ago, Nick L said:

The ECM then sweeps out the brief plume far quicker than the GFS too. Interesting times.

Looking at the jet stream forecast, was that feature in the last week what looks like a juicy Bartlett?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

Three water temps recorded over my camping weekend:

Irish Sea, Abergele, 20C (tide had come in over warm sands) - the top end of what I'd usually expect.

Llyn Brenig 18C.  Bandit swim in Dwr Cymru reservoir but we weren't caught by the warden.:D

Llyn Tegid (Bala) 19C. A little low, should be around 21C as it was last summer.

Didn't use my accurate glass thermo as it could've been broken amongst my kit.  My watch reads about 1C above ambient because my skin temp is slightly higher than the surrounding water.  Upper pic is at Abergele, the lower is from Bala.  Don't know where the Brenig one has gone.

P8050209.JPG

P8060223.JPG

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Haha, as I say that the EC comes out far cooler than the GFS for Monday and Tuesday. Nevertheless, still has temperatures into the mid-20s so very usable weather just with less discomfort! Wednesday still looking pretty hot in the east though.

I'm definitely on Team ECM tonight.

As long as the rest of August remains warm then I'm not bothered. Only thing I'm concerned about is any temporary plumes being shunted away by cool, unsettled weather. After the brief plume in July, the rest of the month remained warm with temps in the low to mid 20s, so I hope the same happens this time. Definitely don't want a repeat of July last year when the first day was hot and the rest of the month was crap.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
13 minutes ago, cheese said:

As long as the rest of August remains warm then I'm not bothered. Only thing I'm concerned about is any temporary plumes being shunted away by cool, unsettled weather. After the brief plume in July, the rest of the month remained warm with temps in the low to mid 20s, so I hope the same happens this time. Definitely don't want a repeat of July last year when the first day was hot and the rest of the month was crap.

Yes agree with you, need a warm to hot August to balance out what we had earlier this summer, enough cool Atlantic filth for a while at least, I hope. Would be very nice to get some interesting convection going with the heat too.

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Brief hot spell

Some thunderstorms

Cooler end to the week?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/features/37015044

not seen video bbc weather go out that far I dont think, kinda weather for week after, as week ahead is kinda this one

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
4 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not seen video bbc weather go out that far I dont think, kinda weather for week after, as week ahead is kinda this one

These forecasts go out to the 7 to 10-day range

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

The ECM then sweeps out the brief plume far quicker than the GFS too. Interesting times.

Hopefully quicker still on the next runs. Until it ends up in the low countries instead. :clap:

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Frost HoIIow said:

Hopefully quicker still on the next runs. Until it ends up in the low countries instead bypassing Britain. :clap:

You'll have plenty of cool, cloudy weather to enjoy until April next year - I think you'll be fine with 1 or 2 hot days!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

You'll have plenty of cool, cloudy weather to enjoy until April next year - I think you'll be fine with 1 or 2 hot days!

Alright, I won't begrudge you some heat :wink:

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Hopefully quicker still on the next runs. Until it ends up in the low countries instead. :clap:

bbc seems to be going with ECM, maybe GFS is underestimating the Atlantic, it often does

Posted
  • Location: Formerly Walworth, SE17 ; Swansea SA1 since Dec 2008
34 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Nice to see the beeb on board for next week

2453453.png

:)

In every other respect than a shortlived warm to hot spell early next week, BBC forecasts (generally, as well as in John Hammond's video) are not at all on board in my view.

I've been looking at the basic BBC forecast for Shropshire (near Bishop's Castle, where we're heading from Wednesday 10th until we leave on the morning of Monday 15th)

As weekends are much more important for most, cooler and more (white) cloudy for that area until Sunday looks less good than some other forecasts

For the heatwave to last only from Monday until next Wednesday (?), then to break down ahead of the w/e of Saturday 20th as honted at by the BBC, will make most summer preferrers hope the BBC is wrong.

Amnd that other model output is more correct. A lot of recent output from other sources shows HP dominated and warmer/sunnier more generally than just for the SE. Both for this coming weekend and for that of Saturday 20th.

Edited by William of Walworth

Posted

2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

bbc seems to be going with ECM, maybe GFS is underestimating the Atlantic, it often does

Thought it was the opposite - GFS more progressive normally. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Except in the wintertime, when it's accused of being too 'progressive'?

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

but then it's correct Ed

Posted

I don't get all this three day extreme plume obsession anyway. I'm fine with very hot, but 22C and no storms for ten days in a generallly stable HP-cell-dominated ten day spell much beats unstable 33C plume for a very short spell in my book.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

It never is a brief hot spell in the SE, always hangs on for four to five days more than expected. Still waiting for the cooler nights which were predicted to arrive two weeks ago:closedeyes:

Edited by lassie23

Posted
4 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Think 'I remember Atlantic' says what he wants when it suits him.. :cc_confused:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

As the white cloud/pokey sun is used far too freely, often when there's no clue how clear or cloudy it will be, just how sunny are we expecting it to be this weekend. I can't see evidence from the charts that it will be cloudy away from the northwest.

Posted
Just now, William of Walworth said:

I don't get all this three day extreme plume obsession anyway. I'm fine with very hot, but 22C and no storms for ten days in a generallly stable HP-cell-dominated ten day spell much beats unstable 33C plume for a very short spell in my book.

opposite to a winter 'toppler' fridays usually, and only Scotland seems to see snow

Posted
2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

As the white cloud/pokey sun is used far too freely, often when there's no clue how clear or cloudy it will be, just how sunny are we expecting it to be this weekend. I can't see evidence from the charts that it will be cloudy away from the northwest.

Depends. Saturday looks potentially cloudy here, Sunday looking warmer and sunnier. Don't think the nationwide warmth and sun will occur until Sunday.

Edited by cheese

Posted
1 minute ago, William of Walworth said:

Rarely do we get lasting HP in Summer these days, every now and then we seem to get these plume type of things that rarely last longer than a couple of days. Another example was the start of July last year with the hottest July day on record but part of an otherwise unremarkable Summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
3 minutes ago, cheese said:

Think 'I remember Atlantic' says what he wants when it suits him.. :cc_confused:

But, and let's be fair cheese, I think we all do?:)

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

But, and let's be fair cheese, I think we all do?:)

Me? Never.

• Like 1