Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

Can understand your view,but for me it's so far been a good summer(very selfish i know). Cold? i would say very much not but saying that i wear shorts most of the year so don't feel cold to that extent,i only go in to long trousers at about 6c ish....and yes i'm not joking!. Must be such a disappointment for you this summer so far,fingers crossed it will improve,not to the 30c mark but something more akin to what you and many would like. There may be a slight glimmer in the models but more settlement over the range is required until hopes can be raised. 

I think we're quite similar with our summer preferences. Although I would like it to get pleasantly warm enough for a beer garden sitting soon :D

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

I have to admit also from a personal perspective that this Summer so far is perfect for me as working/sleeping in hot weather i find extremely draining and uncomfortable. Plenty of time yet for a heatwave though!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Whilst this summer so far has been very wet in places, I don't think we have hit 2007/2012 levels of badness, temperatures have in been in general okay, I mean there were many days in June and July of 2012 where the mid-teens was the best we could muster, we have manage to hit 20C on many days which whilst still a little below par isn't that awful.

The south looks okay weather wise this week, fairly dry and fairly warm, possible reaching the very warm category if we can get some decent sunny spells in the warm sectors of these Atlantic weather systems. The north doesn't look so great though.

This summer has in my view been rather uninspiring a times, but not an absolute write off, and heck there have been plenty of thunderstorms down here personally, including a couple yesterday. The fact that June was a warmer than average month says it all really.

Edited by Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Can understand your view,but for me it's so far been a good summer(very selfish i know). Cold? i would say very much not but saying that i wear shorts most of the year so don't feel cold to that extent,i only go in to long trousers at about 6c ish....and yes i'm not joking!. Must be such a disappointment for you this summer so far,fingers crossed it will improve,not to the 30c mark but something more akin to what you and many would like. There may be a slight glimmer in the models but more settlement over the range is required until hopes can be raised. 

I don't care for heat - unless you think 21-23C is hot. 18C in July isn't very good at all, unless it's the temperature at midnight. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I think we're quite similar with our summer preferences. Although I would like it to get pleasantly warm enough for a beer garden sitting soon :D

The beer garden sitting is good! Though i tend to get a few looks when i've got my shorts on and people are huddled around the heater!:)

Posted
2 minutes ago, cheese said:

I don't care for heat - unless you think 21-23C is hot. 18C in July isn't very good at all, unless it's the temperature at midnight. 

Why would 18c at midnight be good? Not good for sleeping. 21 to 23c is ok,much more yes that would be hot. Try getting back in a car sat for a few hours in that,not nice at all.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
9 minutes ago, markyo said:

The beer garden sitting is good! Though i tend to get a few looks when i've got my shorts on and people are huddled around the heater!:)

Have they not heard of the beer jacket?! :D

Posted

Yes it has been very wet in such a short space of time this summer unusual once again.

Should dry out next week somewhat,but Monday is wet.

Posted
22 minutes ago, markyo said:

Why would 18c at midnight be good? Not good for sleeping. 21 to 23c is ok,much more yes that would be hot. Try getting back in a car sat for a few hours in that,not nice at all.

It's a perfect nighttime temperature. It only appears stuffy in the UK because our homes are built to retain heat. 

It isn't hot to me unless it's nearing on 30C. I went for a quick 6-mile bike ride on a sunny, 26C day back in early June and I felt fine. 

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, cheese said:

It's a perfect nighttime temperature. It only appears stuffy in the UK because our homes are built to retain heat. 

It isn't hot to me unless it's nearing on 30C. I went for a quick 6-mile bike ride on a sunny, 26C day back in early June and I felt fine. 

Quite right! I'm sure if my room didn't face west, I wouldn't have a problem getting to sleep when the weather gets hot. People often exaggerate how stuffy nights in this country are by what it feels like in the house. You only have to step outside during a warm/hot spell at night to feel that actually it's very pleasant if quite cool at night. Despite being hundreds of miles apart, I think you and I have a similar tolerance of temperature.

Posted

I know we have dicussed wether our weather has changed.. But one thing that has changed is the  humid unable to sleep at night feeling..I can't remember the last time  i felt  uncofortable sleeping..Its been many years.. Could be one of the reasons we've had some pretty poor sumemrs and the temperatures havent had chance to build as we go later into the summer.

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

I suspect most people would find 26c as being hot and 30c as uncomfortable. But that's just my opinion. I know with travel due to work jumping into a car sat at that temp is repulsive and certainly makes driving more stressful.

• Like 1

Posted

And 18c in this country is uncomfortable at night,the vast majority would agree,most people do sleep in a insulated house so of course it will feel stuffy,where else are they supposed to sleep!! That is why temps forecast like that on the media are always followed by the uncomfortable night for sleeping statement.

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, markyo said:

And 18c in this country is uncomfortable at night,the vast majority would agree,most people do sleep in a insulated house so of course it will feel stuffy,where else are they supposed to sleep!! That is why temps forecast like that on the media are always followed by the uncomfortable night for sleeping statement.

Yes 18c outside at night would be if the day was warmer than 21c. After last years spanish plume event it was 25.5c inside my house and fell no lower than 22.5c inside at night which was a bit too much for getting too sleep but fine when i woke in the morning. That was with outdoor temps of about 15c but 2 hot days.

Posted

Lovely Summers evening with almost no wind at all which is a rarity here..

20160703_203733_Richtone(HDR).jpg

Edited by Polar Maritime

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

despite some decent daytime convective activity, I think this summer has been very poor so far. The only time it has got above 25c has been when I was away in Spain! Don't think I've ever experienced not having reached even a mediocre 25 degrees let alone 28-29 before July has arrived. To think that this time last year we had reached 36c and tonight was the night that many witnessed some spectacular thunderstorms. No sign of any return of heat either in the meantime. A poor show indeed in my humble opinion. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 1

Posted

People have too much expectation of June. Average June isn't much warmer than the average September. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
13 minutes ago, March said:

People have too much expectation of June. Average June isn't much warmer than the average September. 

This hides a multitude of facts. The fact is, people have a higher expectation of June because it is often the best month of the year! It has longer days, generally higher maxima, is normally drier and more settled for more prolonged periods, and is a summer month. By September, many have switched out of their summer mindset so warm settled weather becomes a bonus.

Other than the first ten days of September which can often produce settled weather at some point, I don't rate September anywhere near as much as June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
15 minutes ago, March said:

That's certainly correct for my region. The MetO regional average is only 0.1°C lower than June. :)

I can't complain about the start to July though, dry, sunny and warm. The short term outlook is dry too, very usable weather this week, not the dreadful outlook that was being flung around this forum like a pair of soiled pantz.  new_russian.gif 

Posted
6 hours ago, March said:

Swathes of England have had their dullest June on record. Many locations in southern England did not exceed 100 hours of sun for the entire month. The two dullest Junes on record have both occurred in the past 4 years (2012 and 2016). 

People just want a normal summer month, instead of a very dull/wet summer month. Is that too much to ask?

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, markyo said:

Confirmation bias. Was there a nationwide survey asking people whether 18C at night is uncomfortable? I must have missed it.

If you want to keep your house cool at night, try closing your curtains or blinds during the day. If the daytime temp was 30C but the overnight low was 10C, your house would still feel stuffy at night if you're letting the sun shine in for days on end. Just use a bit of common sense and you'll no longer find 23C with sunshine to be unbearably hot, like most ordinary people, nor will you be on the verge of heatstroke because it's 18C at midnight.

Edited by cheese

Posted
2 hours ago, cheese said:

Confirmation bias. Was there a nationwide survey asking people whether 18C at night is uncomfortable? I must have missed it.

If you want to keep your house cool at night, try closing your curtains or blinds during the day. If the daytime temp was 30C but the overnight low was 10C, your house would still feel stuffy at night if you're letting the sun shine in for days on end. Just use a bit of common sense and you'll no longer find 23C with sunshine to be unbearably hot, like most ordinary people, nor will you be on the verge of heatstroke because it's 18C at midnight.

18c nighttime temp coupled with a modern house in my opinion is uncomfortable,in your opinion it's not,thats fair isn't it,everybody is entitled to their opinion. No idea what the heatstroke ref is about,makes no sense what so ever. Just because somebodies idea of being uncomfortable differs to yours is that a reason to go down the route of sarcastic remarks?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

18c is what the temp usually is at midnight on a normal summer day.

There is nothing oppressive about it at all.

• Like 1

Posted

What a carp summer, again!

Mainly  cloudy here this week (as i expected with winds of a westerly nature), before the next trough lands into the weekend, temps of 17 to 19,sad thing is thats an improvement on the majority of June, which was OK for the first couple of days then just deteriated into a trough fest.

I was a firm doubter of large teapot/summer theory but we just cannot ignore the run of horrific summers and mild winters (with the very odd exception) that have been ongoing since 2007.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
53 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

What a carp summer, again!

Mainly  cloudy here this week (as i expected with winds of a westerly nature), before the next trough lands into the weekend, temps of 17 to 19,sad thing is thats an improvement on the majority of June, which was OK for the first couple of days then just deteriated into a trough fest.

I was a firm doubter of large teapot/summer theory but we just cannot ignore the run of horrific summers and mild winters (with the very odd exception) that have been ongoing since 2007.

I know you were, I am a firm believer, nobody knows what's causing it, but low pressure has become more frequent, as has Atlantic air/stronger jet, high pressure less frequent in winters since approx 2000