Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England - Weather Chat - Spring 2016 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot

A fine day but breezy, a good F3 still blowing.  Not so chilly last night, min 10.4C. Max in sheltered garden 22.7C, currently 16.3C. Pressure 1020mb  Long sunny intervals but cloud increased from the east around teatime, still quite cloudy but too dark to estimate coverage.  Dry all day.

Edited by Wildswimmer Pete

Posted
On 30 May 2016 at 22:14, iand61 said:

I can't remember the last time we had a full bank holiday weekend of dry sunny warm weather but the last few years have been mixed at best.

Partly because most of the bank holidays are not during the warmest part of the year!

Christmas, Boxing Day and New Year are in winter and that's over a third of the bank holidays, Easter is pot luck, then you have the two May bank holidays.

The August Bank Holiday is at the back end of the month just as the summer is starting to wane on average.  The two August bank holidays of the great summers of 1976 and 1995 were nothing special at least compared to the rest of the summer.

It's daft this country, 3 bank holidays in winter, 4 during spring, just one during summer, and none in autumn. There is only one bank holiday between now and Christmas and we are still closer to last Christmas than the next one!

• Like 2

Posted

Well eventually the easterly influence has finally brushed it's cloud to our regions in the east of the north west, but still bone dry.  More a case of extreme west is best today.  Hoping for a little more breaks in the cloud cover further inland tomorrow.  Weekend looking decent.  Turning out to be a dry May for our region.  Long overdue.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Another beautiful mostly sunny day. Max  20.3°C. 

No rain for 6 days. 

Posted

Struck lucky once again, on the edge of the cloud bank, it was a cloudy morning mind, rather dull and chilly, cloud broke up this afternoon and once again another superb clear sky evening. Not particularly warm, but very pleasant.

Watching Springwatch - another world down in normally very dry sunny warm Suffolk, dark skies currently against our clear skies and lightness. They've got there winter woolies on even.. Bet they are wishing they were in Leighton Moss, or Scotland or west wales... no doubt fortunes will be turned..

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

Cloudy this morning with a distinct chill in the air - on the first day of meteorological summer!  Definitely a fleecy hoodie sort of day.  However sunny intervals developed after lunch and it became warm in my garden, enough to be topless.  Currently overcast 8/8.  Dry all day, light air F1.  Pressure 1023mb.  Overnight min 10.4C, max 22.7C, currently 14.0C.  We've still got that problem of winds coming from a cold quarter as it has all spring.  Can we have some TC please? Or at least some TM which is OK in summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
25 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Cloudy this morning with a distinct chill in the air - on the first day of meteorological summer!  Definitely a fleecy hoodie sort of day.  However sunny intervals developed after lunch and it became warm in my garden, enough to be topless.  Currently overcast 8/8.  Dry all day, light air F1.  Pressure 1023mb.  Overnight min 10.4C, max 22.7C, currently 14.0C.  We've still got that problem of winds coming from a cold quarter as it has all spring.  Can we have some TC please? Or at least some TM which is OK in summer.

Looks like my few more miles  further west made all the difference as it was sunny through a lot of the morning as well here.  Another lengthly dry  period  evolving now as well. I've noticed a few of these this year. 

Posted

Gorgeous day on Tuesday with wall to wall sunshine, 50% sunshine yesterday, sunny this morning. I love this set up. :D

(Picture taken Tuesday 1pm near Cilcain, Denbighshire)

20160531_125749[1].jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

17.1C, not a cloud in the sky. Feeling hot in the sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

A great day today with plenty of sunshine - this is turning into a notable dry spell now.

Posted

Yet again another great day in the Lake District, sunny throughout barely a cloud in the sky, very little wind and bone dry. Temperatures perfect for outdoor activities, average only but felling pleasantly warm. Other than a high directly overhead, this is the best synoptic set up for the NW, sheltered from rain bearing fronts and cloud thanks to the Pennines. I'm not a fan of spanish plumes and there associated sticky humid hazy skies, nor high pressure to the south/southeast pumping up uncomfortable heat. High teens low 20's under clear skies and light winds suits me fine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

I'm currently in the west Netherlands and the weather here is atrocious.  Yesterday I have wear a scarf it was so cold.. really I'm not lying . Back on Monday.. it look like we will be importing some heat from the south

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

06z is tantastic!

Posted

The cloud that was forecast to cover the east of the NW region, well it remained perfectly warm & sunny up until about an hour ago.  Clouded over now a bit, but all in all another very summery day.  I could get used to this lazy jet stream to our west.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, dodgeredee said:

The cloud that was forecast to cover the east of the NW region, well it remained perfectly warm & sunny up until about an hour ago.  Clouded over now a bit, but all in all another very summery day.  I could get used to this lazy jet stream to our west.

Totally agree, looking good from tomorrow afternoon onwards into next week too.

Posted

Last night was clear but cloud formed around dawn (I was awake) however it melted away around 9am to leave sunny conditions with a smattering of fair-weather Cu. Bit of a breeze all day, I'd say F2.  Currently almost overcast with Sc, coverage 7/8 with just a small patch of blue visible here and there.  Dry all day.  Very chilly last night: min 7.7C in early June! Max 22.6C (sheltered), currently 17.7C. Pressure 1013mb.

The photo at the top of today's article "West still best for now, sunshine spreading this weekend" looks to me like a view of the Mid-Cheshire Ridge with Frodsham Hill at the extreme right.

Posted

Cloudy start this morning but our region is the 'hotspot' currently. Looks like a risk of thunderstorms from about 4pm too.

Posted

Already coming up to 17°C here. Expecting mid 20s later, and an  interesting afternoon coming up. It's hard to appreciate how cold and cloudy it's been in the rest of the country, but I think they are struggling to appreciate how nice it's been here as well. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Already coming up to 17°C here. Expecting mid 20s later, and an  interesting afternoon coming up. It's hard to appreciate how cold and cloudy it's been in the rest of the country, but I think they are struggling to appreciate how nice it's been here as well. 

God forbid if anyone other than the south has a few nice days! It's a nice switch lol.

Posted

Sun breaking through now,warm and humid,bouncing on a bouncy castle with the kids now helping

Posted
22 hours ago, dodgeredee said:

Same. We've even lost that annoying northerly wind which has taken the edge off things somewhat recently. Not something I've particularly had to worry about sitting outside in the back. :D

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Any storm reports yet.skies to my north and East looking quite

Threatening 

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Rain just starting no thunder yet

C.S