Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Pictorial history of winter 2009-10 from Irlam

Weather-history

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Fantastic Kev, and although Crewe didn't join in on that snow streamer in early Jan, we had about a 5cm covering which was enough to send us into the coldest night I've ever experienced in my life with nigh on -15C recorded. Extraordinary and trumps December 2010 for me. A very sensational winter and combined with December 2010 I'm very glad that I got to experience that period.

I'll never forget my mum getting out of her car that night in Jan 2010 and proclaiming the car thermometer was showing -13!

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

5th Jan got around 8cms, evening of 23rd Dec was my first snow around 2cms, then around 2cms on 31st

remember 20th Dec too well, could see the showers tracking ESE missing me, Stockport damn. similar on 22nd

Posted

It was a cracking spell of weather for the NW. I remember days and days of deep powder, blues skies, frozen waterfalls and lakes. Winter weather doesn't really get much better.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mountain Snow said:

It was a cracking spell of weather for the NW. I remember days and days of deep powder, blues skies, frozen waterfalls and lakes. Winter weather doesn't really get much better.

Aye the stars aligned that year. Shame we've seemingly had to compensate for it with years of dross following!

I still hold out hope however that very soon we'll see a '62/'63 esque winter freeze up!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

Fantastic Kev, and although Crewe didn't join in on that snow streamer in early Jan, we had about a 5cm covering which was enough to send us into the coldest night I've ever experienced in my life with nigh on -15C recorded. Extraordinary and trumps December 2010 for me. A very sensational winter and combined with December 2010 I'm very glad that I got to experience that period.

I'll never forget my mum getting out of her car that night in Jan 2010 and proclaiming the car thermometer was showing -13!

DSCF0001%202_zpsrczu0srt.jpg

DSCF0027%202_zpsncrwndot.jpg

Posted
37 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

DSCF0001%202_zpsrczu0srt.jpg

DSCF0027%202_zpsncrwndot.jpg

Doesn't surprise me you got that low at all. I was reliably informed that Nantwich breached -15 and you had more snow on the ground than us. I've never felt cold like that before....completely awesome.

Posted
2 hours ago, Mountain Snow said:

Easily the best winter in the Lake District for sustained cold and snow since 1995/96, overall better than then as well.

It was a very dry winter in the Lake District, a wet mild start to December gave way to a cold anticyclonic weekend on 11 December, and for 3 months solid thereafter we had barely any mild weather to speak of. Plenty of dry frosty crisp days excellent for winter walking.

Most memorable snowfall was the 19/20 December, we had about 4 inches on the 19 Dec, followed by a further 3 inches late on the 20 December thanks to convective showers off the Irish Sea, even some thundersnow which is rare. We had another inch on the 23rd. Christmas day brought blue skies and temps stuck below freezing with a good 6-8 inches on the ground. The snow stuck around until Boxing Day when there was a slight thaw, the cold quickly came back in the run up to New Year but with no fresh snow. The first few days of 2010 brought very cold conditions but lovely blue skies and sunshine with temps hovering around freezing during daytime. Late on the 4th we had a couple of inches, we just missed out on the heavy snow that fell over much of the NW. The period 5-9 saw sub freezing temps, mins below -10 degrees, superb weather for winter walking. Many lakes completely froze over.

The second week of Jan remained very cold but not as cold as first week, further snowfalls around the 12-14, a couple more cms. The third week brought a thaw and some rain with average temps, before the cold came back last week with harsh frosts again and a little fresh snow.

February was a predominantly cold month with not much rain, remember a decent snowfall third weekend of the month I think, the fells held deep snow throughout with frozen tarns etc.. meaning excellent winter climbing conditions.

The first 2 weeks of March were cold as well and mostly dry with much frost, much like the conditions of now.

Would be very happy with another winter like 09/10.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Yes ,brought back memories of winters I grew up in from the mid 70's to the late 80's,great to have snow back on the ground for more than a few days that we were all getting used to .Such a shame the wind couldn't get up to produce bigger drifts which would have been memorable but beaten into second place in recent winters by march 2013 which had less snow but what drifts !