Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 20th Feb onwards

Paul

Posted
2 minutes ago, bryan629 said:

I really hope Joes not been reading the express to come up with that statement :)

Models definately not showing a winters worth of snow at the moment .... 

Europe is a fairly big place as well....who knows where he is talking about.

For me it is looking unusually warm for the next few weeks on just about any model. Who wants cold and snow in March anyway?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Can't seem to post charts but the GFS 12z shows a far greater rash of showers pushing off the North Sea. Also low-res showed an area of snow pushing up from the southeast and affecting southeastern areas of England. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

Yes, now that I guess we are getting closer to the event, you can clearly see the GFS is picking up on shower activity from the North Sea. 

As an example

No example, I also can't post charts :wallbash:

link http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=96&mode=2

Are you getting the same problem with regards to copy and pasting?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers

certainly looking less blocky on the UKMO after the weekend. Spring might not be that far away afterall 

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Yes, now that I guess we are getting closer to the event, you can clearly see the GFS is picking up on shower activity from the North Sea. 

As an example

No example, I also can't post charts :wallbash:

link http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=96&mode=2

gfs-2-96.thumb.png.5ba94ed7ffd4cc6122dcf

works for me...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Quite a stiff easterly on Saturday down south.

56cc88c47cc21_viewimage(1).thumb.png.e64

Will feel raw in the cold wind.GFS does show some showers blowing in of a wintry mix but they don't appear widespread or heavy and with 2mtr.temps showing 4-6C nothing to get too excited about.

Edited by phil nw.
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer

looks cold to monday then turning milder again with the atlantic taking control once again. far cry from a few days ago with a greenland HP or a scandi HP being shown some places this season will not get a single flake lets hope for a repeat of a march 2011 which had temps in the 70s here and forget this season 

• Like 1

Posted

It looks like this GFS run follows the earlier ens with temperatures dropping off again from the north west after a brief warm up from a temporary Azores ridge.

00z ens   ensemble-tt6-london.thumb.gif.4f2565fa6e

nothing overly cold but certainly continuing the trend for a below average start to Spring.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather
13 minutes ago, igloo said:

looks cold to monday then turning milder again with the atlantic taking control once again. far cry from a few days ago with a greenland HP or a scandi HP being shown some places this season will not get a single flake lets hope for a repeat of a march 2011 which had temps in the 70s here and forget this season 

Yes but it doesn't really take control its a very brief ridge. Then we are all back into colder conditions once again. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Paul said:

Ok, well I'm still not convinced of it as it doesn't look likely at all, but if you're happy it was snow then who am I to argue as I wasn't there! Guess we ought to get back to the models. 

I was in Hendon NW London and it hailed briefly after a few little snowflakes , feeling like being in the alps in spring when its sunny and warm on you, then that cold feeling the minute there is cloud cover. the hail was around 2.35pm

Posted

We can see as we go through the frames that the Canadian vortex fragment is the killer for getting deeper cold here.The PV is being split with ridging upstream but it is always under pressure from the jet off the E.Seaboard. 

This late in the season the ideal setup for us for deeper cold is more of the split pv being over the Scandi/Russian side of the pole which would allow much better heights towards Greenland and direct Northerlies.

I am afraid these less cold north westerly shots just wont cut it if looking for lowland snowfall now. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
5 minutes ago, terrier said:

Yes but it doesn't really take control its a very brief ridge. Then we are all back into colder conditions once again. 

Precisely.Cold until after the weekend.Then we are into a cold N/Westerly flow

gfs-0-198.png?12

gfs-1-192.png?12

Quickly followed by a cold Easterly flow from a cold source

gfs-0-234.png?12

gfs-1-240.png?12

Posted
2 minutes ago, andymusic said:

europe getting a good pasting out in FI

gfs-2-252.png?12

So joe B is right after all!

surely we could work out that a cold euro trough would lead to a forecast of snow over the continent early March? 

Remembering how how difficult it is to get widespread snowfall over the southern half of the UK in DJF, no surprise to see little promised for us over the next fortnight. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking low pressure in winter. Hot and thundery in the summer
6 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Precisely.Cold until after the weekend.Then we are into a cold N/Westerly flow

gfs-0-198.png?12

gfs-1-192.png?12

Quickly followed by a cold Easterly flow from a cold source

gfs-0-234.png?12

gfs-1-240.png?12

But why even get caught up in anything past t144 . I understand that we look for trends but how many charts at even t144 come to fruition? It's a developing situation as ever and with the mjo lag and what looks to be another strat warming I'm sure the mods will change. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
8 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

We can see as we go through the frames that the Canadian vortex fragment is the killer for getting deeper cold here.The PV is being split with ridging upstream but it is always under pressure from the jet off the E.Seaboard. 

This late in the season the ideal setup for us for deeper cold is more of the split pv being over the Scandi/Russian side of the pole which would allow much better heights towards Greenland and direct Northerlies.

I am afraid these less cold north westerly shots just wont cut it if looking for lowland snowfall now. 

I see your point but maybe we can squeeze a little more time if this propagates quickly enough

gfsnh-10-312.png?12

Yes I know it is late in the season but I would not rule a cold shot out after that.

gfsnh-0-384.png?12

Posted

getting colder and colder as we head into march then ,typical,always knew we would have a cold spring after the mildest winter ever 

• Like 1

Posted

Some nice synoptics on show but its a struggle to get some deep enough cold in. A month earlier and this wouldn't be such an issue but we really need some proper blocking to transport the coldest air out of the Arctic.

In terms of the MJO every model bar the UKMO takes that into phase 8 at varying amplitudes. The UKMO keeps this in phase 7.

At this time of year below average doesn't cut it, we need well below average! Its a bit frustrating because its a bit like biting into one of those nice looking chocolates and finding out they"ve got one of those horrible liqueur centres! The synoptics look good at face value but are struggling to deliver.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

But March is a unique month, IMO: it's usually either an extension of winter (1979, 2013) or a prelude to summer(1976, 2012)...So I have no doubt that, if the model-suggested synoptics come right, we'll be quite likely to have cold and snow??

• Like 4