Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 18th February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Raining here already, looks like Katie might well pack a nasty punch especially for Sussex and Kent. I did think she'd miss us but looks like I was wrong unfortunately. Hope my polytunnel survives lol! Be safe everyone.

Posted
2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Getting gusts between 45-50 mph already, it's not even here yet.

Agreed... it's getting gusty out side already :/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love a good lightning storm

One of my weather apps is giving me two choices. 95% of rain, but at the moment, clear, as it has been for the last few hours. I'm not complaining. I'll watch for a while longer, though. Never turn your back on a storm has been a long-time motto of mine since my cycling days.

Posted

I note that both EURO4 and GFS have upped south coast wind speeds for tonight by 5-10 mph on their latest runs

http://expert-images.weatheronline.co.uk/daten/proficharts/en/euro4/2016/03/27/basis12/ukuk/ismh/16032800_2712.gif

I think we'll top 80mph easily on the south coast tonight, somewhere. The GFS suggests, dare I say it, even 90mph is not impossible??

6-289.GIF?27-18

Already the stormiest conditions of the year here

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

12z GFS was certainly underestimating the depth of Katie off western Cornwall at 21z, where the Sevenstone Lightship was slap bang in the centre at the time recording 977mb as opposed to 981mb on GFS, see my post in the Katie thread.

Also Camaret in NW Brittany recorded a gust of 93mph at 23z, so with further deepening, some worries that central English Channel around IOW, Hants and Sussex coasts could see 80mph+ gusts, 60-70mph locally inland acros the SE and EA in the small hours. So gonna be fitful sleep tonight. Good job it's a Bank Holiday!

Edited by Nick F
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 minute ago, leedsnowfan said:

Hmmm....not an expert.....but surely the Channel is cooler than the Atlantic this time of year so we may not see much more deepening? 

It's not being deepened by warm waters, but by moving in to the cold side of the jet stream.

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

It's not being deepened by warm waters, but by moving in to the cold side of the jet stream.

Ok. But surely there'd be some influence?? Im like you....dont like it when wind gets up. Tiles start chattering and dont need them coming off!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very gusty here already!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Wind very strong here now, can hear wheelie bins and recycling boxes being blown around the street.
Would love to be living near the coast, must be pretty wild!

Posted

16032803_2718.gif

This is really, really not good. Low now under 968mb by 03z. Never seen the shade of colour shown just off Devon for the wind, at least not round here, and that's going to swing along the whole coast through the early hours. This may not quite get to a red warning by the Met but it's getting close now.

Isle of Portland / St Catherine's point will be interesting in the next few hours, already pushing 70mph - that will indicate what to expect further along the coast later

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together

It's insane here for Newbury... And we are in land. As parents live in Chichester and told me about this storm I've just checked Chimet station... Chichester harbour and Force 12 gusts being recorded.. not good. Force 10 sustained. Any increase and this is 87 territory damage? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Most gusts around 60 mph now, though not got over 66 yet. Rain really quite heavy now too.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Polar Bear said:

It's insane here for Newbury... And we are in land. As parents live in Chichester and told me about this storm I've just checked Chimet station... Chichester harbour and Force 12 gusts being recorded.. not good. Force 10 sustained. Any increase and this is 87 territory damage? 

Do you know what, I'm a bit worried this may get a bit too close to 1987 for comfort, given these very late shifts in the models. I'm in prime position tonight, I remember 1987 very well with the incessant whistling, just heard the first whistle this time, trying to sleep actually but will keep you posted if I can't!

• Like 2

Posted

Am with you man with a beard. I was there too in 87. Bit too close these winds.

Fortunately cambernet, and somet (Southampton) is showing F10 gusts as is a little protected which will prob be the same for you in Portsmouth so we're not there at the 12..

10 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

Do you know what, I'm a bit worried this may get a bit too close to 1987 for comfort, given these very late shifts in the models. I'm in prime position tonight, I remember 1987 very well with the incessant whistling, just heard the first whistle this time, trying to sleep actually but will keep you posted if I can't!

It is mad here in Newbury so god only knows it must be noisy by you. 

Was tempted to text my parents to check they are ok  (they are in their 80s) but they never seemed phased by the storms.. Just oh it is a bit windy. 

Posted

Here you go.. Links for the Chichester harbour, Solent wind speeds.. Just click on which one you want. Bramblenet is showing to be quite protected. 

http://www.chimet.co.uk/(S(z1ihay55wu3adfbawqaxks55))/Default.aspx

Posted
1 minute ago, Polar Bear said:

Am with you man with a beard. I was there too in 87. Bit too close these winds.

Fortunately cambernet, and somet (Southampton) is showing F10 gusts as is a little protected which will prob be the same for you in Portsmouth so we're not there at the 12..

It is mad here in Newbury so god only knows it must be noisy by you. 

Was tempted to text my parents to check they are ok  (they are in their 80s) but they never seemed phased by the storms.. Just oh it is a bit windy. 

Yes I'm not as bad as my folks who live 5 miles east, we're a little protected by the Isle of Wight. We have got used to 70mph+ storms over the years but the EURO4 is a good 10mph up on what it showed for the worst storms of 2014, which would put us on another level altogether. Studying the xcweather pressure charts just now it may have slightly overcooked it but not by much.

Winds still strengthening here, btw

• Like 1

Posted

Seems a little calmer here at the moment.

Edit: Magic last words, crashing sound in the garden.

Edited by Wivenswold

Posted

Ooh it seems to have eased a little here.. Is Katie getting a little tired? .. She's moving up the country i see. 

Edited by Polar Bear