Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

23 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

Hi Surrey. Is your girlfriend all better now? I've also noticed it getting gusty again, beautiful day though...The calm after one and before the other! Tomorrow is certainly going to be interesting, I'm a little excited to be honest! Our car park at work runs parallel to the River Wye with some pretty tall trees lining the bank.....won't be parking close to them, especially with the already sodden ground from yesterday evening / nights deluge! That being said I am glad I'm not using the motorways tomorrow! I was supposed to be travelling to Brighton first thing, but cancelled on Friday based upon what we were seeing on the charts.....looks to have been a good call! :good:

Yeah she's all better now thanks! Certainly does look rough tomorrow and overnight we could see so,e pretty lively gusts too but it's tomorrow afternoon that it really looks like ramping up properly seeing maybe a 70mph gust even in land!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
4 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Yeah she's all better now thanks! Certainly does look rough tomorrow and overnight we could see so,e pretty lively gusts too but it's tomorrow afternoon that it really looks like ramping up properly seeing maybe a 70mph gust even in land!

Let's hope so :diablo:shhh...i hope nobody heard me say that!? 

Posted

I see the radar picking up  a lot of rain over the west  Country heading our  way

R

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Meanwhile Storm Imogen is getting her act together image.thumb.png.8c4b4b5e32f667e554d93f60

She is a thing of beauty! Nature amazes me....It can produce these powerful, sometimes unpredictable forces, in all manner of guises, some of them devastating, and we can do nothing about it, apart from learn more about how and why, sit back and watch in awe! :unsure2: ......then we have to clear up the mess LOL

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

The ARPEGE model Is not really showing anything of note inland. Uncertainty. 

I was surprised at the lack of precipitation associated with Imogen showing on the chart's for tomorrow. Just posted this in the Storm Imogen thread for reference.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, high winds, thunder, snow
20 minutes ago, Surrey said:

2pm tomorrow on the high res 

Screenshot_2016-02-07-14-53-09.thumb.png

That looks pretty sick!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

And then this, its back.

I really can't even begin to believe that GFS could be onto something here, still a long shat but what do the experts think?

gfs-2-48.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Highest gust so far 48mph getting some showers now lasting about 2 mins as the wind pushes them through.

• Like 1

Posted

The plot thickens it is very marginal the North Downs etc above 100-200m in all likelihood seeing something 'significant' with the help of evaporative cooling & little wind.....

image.thumb.png.91a4d3d920c5ab7d80c27f21image.thumb.png.39d450707f62d5340989ca67e

Posted
On 2 February 2016 at 7:50 PM, Kent Blizzard said:

We'll this is sorted of related, had a nice (spring) lamb roast dinner :D....before Daniel's* snow arrives overnight ;)

Looks quite active next week doesn't it, quite volatile at times.

Ignore that attached!!!

SNOW!!! 

• Like 1

Posted

Wind beginning to freshen up here now after a relatively quiet spell mid-afternoon, it would appear rather like St' Jude storm that there are 2 periods of strong winds associated with this storm the first spell will be later this evening up until around midnight the early hours 40mph gusts associated with the first swathe of heavy persistent rain before a slight lull around breakfast time tomorrow before the 2nd and more potent spell of Gales arrives mid to late morning 10am onwards through into the afternoon associated with a band of squally and potentially thundery showers, this 2nd wave expected to deliver the widespread 50-60mph gusts inland with 70-80mph or more along exposed coasts!

• Like 1

Posted

Talking of snow seems rather insignificant a bout of very windy weather to come, the ITV News London forecast said 60 to 70mph gusts warned the risk of minor structural damage, fallen trees, beware of scaffolding ect. St Jude was overly hyped well for my location with gusts in the 50's at best this looks quite a bit worse with winds coinciding during daylight hours - affecting large swathes of Southern England for a number of hours. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Cold Cold

Evening! 

Sounds like an interesting 24 hours coming up, I don't like wind much, scares me! So I tend to shut the curtains and turn the television up!!  

Fish and chips tonight then homemade mandarin cheesecake, already tucked up in bed watching ski Sunday! 

Its raining hard now but wind not strong yet, unfortunately my weather station packed up so don't know how strong the winds getting! Mind you I don't think it was ever very accurate! I will just have to gauge it on how far the trees are bending! 

Did I read it's possibly getting a bit colder??

have a safe one x

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Talking of snow seems rather insignificant a bout of very windy weather to come, the ITV News London forecast said 60 to 70mph gusts warned the risk of minor structural damage, fallen trees, beware of scaffolding ect. St Jude was overly hyped well for my location with gusts in the 50's at best this looks quite a bit worse with winds coinciding during daylight hours - affecting large swathes of Southern England for a number of hours. 

Quite right and I think the main difference is it'll last a lot longer, the strongest of the winds during St' Jude lasted barely over half and hour where I am it was more like a freak squall then a proper developed storm this is because the storm only started winding itself up as it was pulling away from the SE quarter and didn't reach it's full strength until it crossed the North-Sea into Denmark where 120mph winds where reported, thank god it didn't get that bad here. Imogen is looking potentially slightly worse though or at least on a par strength wise but lasting for several hours.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny with night time t-storms
15 minutes ago, AdamStorm7891 said:
7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

St Jude was overly hyped well for my location

Crikey, Jude might have been over hyped but I very vividly remember my flight back from France in her midst. There's a lot going on up there folks. so stay safe and just let the weather take its course!

• Like 1

Sunday Afternoon & Evening – Wave One

Whilst not officially Imogen winds are expected to pick up during the course of Sunday as a leading wave ahead of the main storm brings localized inland gales and gusty conditions.  The initial wave will begin to bring bands of heavy rain East across much of England, Scotland and Wales during the evening period with weather models suggesting very deep cold air loft enhancing the risk of convection and the possibility of rainfall developing into a squall line.  Rain during Sunday evening is likely to be especially heavy in places with some very gusty and squally conditions, winds could gust 45 – 55 mph perhaps locally higher along the squall or in heavy showers leading the line.  This first wave will clear through quite rapidly exiting England during the late evening period where winds will ease for a time ahead of Imogen.

From met monkey

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

I just can't get excited or interested over a possible 60mph wind gust! 

Like most wind days in my area - a serious over hype and just "another windy day" Southern coasts look like strongest winds anyway. 

I'm much more interested with possible snow coming back on board with ECM/GFS

Heading to the beautiful city of Montreal next Monday for 2 weeks... Brutal cold and snow set to be settling in for my arrival - Get in... 

• Like 1

Posted

BBC London News bulletin on now, should have a local weather update on the storm in a few minutes.