Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - 2nd February onwards

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
4 hours ago, Daniel* said:

Calm before the storm....

Oh right, I've just woken up to calm conditions and no evidence of wind and wondered what all the fuss is about! 

You claimed last night these are the strongest winds we've we will have seen since October 2013, even the very highest gusts in that chart  forecast predict that's untrue. 

Storm barney/Valentine's Day 2014 were much more severe!

things can change obviously and gusts could be higher, hopefully it won't and at worst I loose my recycle bin lid and tomorrow becomes another day! 

10 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Oh right, I've just woken up to calm conditions and no evidence of wind and wondered what all the fuss is about! 

You claimed last night these are the strongest winds we've we will have seen since October 2013, even the very highest gusts in that chart  forecast predict that's untrue. 

things can change obviously and gusts could be higher, hopefully it won't and at worst I loose my recycle bin lid and tomorrow becomes another day! 

Strom barney didn't effect us so much down here like forecasts said I got max 50mph from that a fart in a thunderstorm as they say.

If last night's squll was anything to go by and winds in that were 50-60mph I'm sure a lot of people will agree, today is going to be a bit mental considering the 60mph winds could last around 6 hours.. With stronger still on the coasts!!

Not to mention the risk of hail,thunder and lightning with a level 1 from estofax too. There is a huge difference between Imogen and Barney, almost like comparing a grape to a watermelon, Imogen being the watermelon. Lol!

Posted
13 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Strom barney didn't effect us so much down here like forecasts said I got max 50mph from that a fart in a thunderstorm as they say.

If last night's squll was anything to go by and winds in that were 50-60mph I'm sure a lot of people will agree, today is going to be a bit mental considering the 60mph winds could last around 6 hours.. With stronger still on the coasts!!

Not to mention the risk of hail,thunder and lightning with a level 1 from estofax too. There is a huge difference between Imogen and Barney, almost like comparing a grape to a watermelon, Imogen being the watermelon. Lol!

Not in my area, both storms are easy comparable! Barney had a wind gust of 74mph in my area! 

I'll be the first to report if I beat that today - bet I won't! 

Hoping the strongest gust stay south of London and across southern coasts as forecast, don't fancy replacing another fence panel. 

Posted
44 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

Things are only supposed to get going, build up after 8am so it is far too early to make a sensible judgement. 

• Like 2

Posted

Love the fact I'm looking outside and there's just a breeze! Really hoping it's yet another OTT hype. Hate wind

Good Morning Britain doing there usual by reporting on a beach with the sea as a backdrop where only seagulls live, makes me laugh everytime 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.

Going back to bed once bubs is at school.  That is if I can get her to school, sounds nasty out there.

Posted
9 minutes ago, Dami said:

Going back to bed once bubs is at school.  That is if I can get her to school, sounds nasty out there.

Your only up the road from me, it's calm as anything out there! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
2 minutes ago, Biggin said:

Absolute carnage here

6175047.jpg

OMG, are you OK? I take it you were sitting on it an are now somewhere inside the hedge behind? LOL:rofl:

• Like 4

Slowly increasing here now wind going over the chimney I can hear, I think the increase in wind speed will happen fairly quickly as the storm moves in, certainly some big gusts out west too us.

Then if you catch a shower it could increase the wind speeds further, especially if the shower has a convective element too it

Edited by Surrey

Posted
29 minutes ago, Snoopie42 said:

OMG, are you OK? I take it you were sitting on it an are now somewhere inside the hedge behind? LOL:rofl:

:D   Am in next doors garden such was the force !!!

• Like 4

Posted
3 minutes ago, Biggin said:

:D   Am in next doors garden such was the force !!!

Oh dear, I see now...they are not going to be happy! You better fix it on your way back! :) Have a safe day!

images998GJKKG.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything out of the ordinary, except extreme heat

Very calm here atm after last nights excitement.

Posted

Loving the nay Sayer in posts above weather is going to be brutal as I look out my window is breezy I can see a huge bank of dark clouds. Ben u may only be in the yellow area or on the met map not severe at all however last nights met map showed from London down anywhere will be getting 50-60 maybe 70 mph gusts in c London sorry stronger than Jude end of we already have trees down here from Saturday wind.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The wind is already very strong here. Sunny skies though :)

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Things are only supposed to get going, build up after 8am so it is far too early to make a sensible judgement. 

Exactly, peak winds are not expected until between 12 & 5/6pm, prior to this it will slowly wind up from a breeze to 50, 60 mph winds, with some locations seeing 70mph depending on location and local terrain, including buildings, which can create a tunnelling affect in densely built up areas.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT
  • Weather Preferences: I like a bit of weather
  • Location: IN THE FOOT HILLS AND DENSELY FORESTED AREAS OF TUNBRIDGE WELLS IN KENT

Would be good to hear from anyone regarding conditions later on out at Heathfield/Broad Oak in Sussex.  Our Manager has to leave at two this afternoon from Tunbridge Wells and return home on the bus!!!! :cc_confused:

Edited by Sidsnake
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers

Here's the latest official Met Office observations for St Catherines Point on the Isle of Wight. Shows gusts picking up this morning and current max at 44 mph.

56b84f643523a_IsleofWightobs.thumb.jpg.9

If anyone's interested to see the 'latest' observations for their nearest Met Office station, here's the link: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/observation/gcp0f2ypb

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Peek winds later this afternoon looks between 12-3pm and 3pm-6pm 

So between 12-6pm then :D

Things starting to pick up a little here and the clouds are rolling over fairly fast...... !!!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

well it was gusty last night but nothing severe loving the "devastation" pics of a garden chair on its side how awful but seriously worst winds to come later as supreme commander Surrey has indicated 

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow

Please ensure you fasten all knickers firmly to your washing line as although there might be a breeze a loose pair flying in the face of dog walkers can pose a problem with visibility... Thank you 

image.jpg

Edited by snowfish1
  • Like 4