Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 21st Jan Onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

ECM sticking to the general theme this morning. Atlantic lows being forced south east after the ridge midweek. The cold air gets nudged a little further north and east than the 12z run but we know in these synoptic types the models often overdo the eastward progression of the warmer air. (Where's Mr Murr! He's very good at reading these)

Early days with this trend but certainly something to be positive about. 

image.gif

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
On 24/01/2016 at 7:25 PM, gottolovethisweather said:

A warm start to the forthcoming working week and then a cool down to nearer average more seasonal Temperatures come the middle to end of the week. The period from the start of February is where my interest lies right now, watch this space!

Some four days on and I'm still keeping the faith for coldies, based upon what I've heard via the BBC forecasts and through one or two of our long-term forum users in here. The main reasoning behind my confidence in the above aspect at the time was what I was seeing within the GEFS and ECM ensemble spreads at around D8 to D10 and that was a trend to colder 850s. More information is often gleaned from the ensemble spreads than by simply chasing around looking at individual operational runs in my opinion and trying to base an opinion on that. So, a continuation of a well-known atlantic based theme as we enter February yes, but one with increasing shots of polar air at times. No long-term embedded harsh cold prospects around until roughly mid-February (again also picked up by the BBC) which is hardly surprising given the state of the weather conditions over most of continental Europe, where it is equally snowless. A few reasons to be cheerful as far I can tell but for settling snow in the South we might need a bit more lady luck just yet. :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 3

Posted

Another positive this morning is that the vast majority of the gfs ensembles go cold towards the end. First time this has happened in a long time. Let's hope the ecm extended ensembles replicate this in the next hour.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Ali1977 said:

Whilst this mornings ECM is still chilly next week, it is no where near as good as last nights unfortunately. Still, chances of wintery showers Midlands northwards is still there.

Your joking right? .

The day 10 has a whole portion of the PV dropping down to the NE. Haven't seen that since 2010.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

The Ecm 00z shows a fantastic end to the run for coldies with a prolonged Arctic Blast incoming, probably the best T+240 chart since the recent cold spell and a definite upgrade on yesterday's runs. In the meantime, the north of the UK in particular looks like having a strong blast of cold zonality late Friday and through Saturday with frequent heavy snow showers in the more northern parts of the UK with drifting on hills, Sunday looks cold in the north but with fewer showers and lighter winds. Becoming more unsettled, milder and windier further south and then Monday looks very unsettled but colder air sweeps SE for a time next week with wintry showers and night frosts and although the cold air then retreats to the far NE later next week, it returns south with a vengeance by the end of the run...expect a lot more changes and certainly don't rule out a potent cold spell through early to mid February!:D:cold:

48_mslp850uk.png

72_mslp850uk.png

144_mslp850uk.png

168_mslp850uk.png

192_mslp850uk.png

216_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850uk.png

240_mslp850.png

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Your joking right? .

The day 10 has a whole portion of the PV dropping down to the NE. Haven't seen that since 2010.

I wasn't when I quoted this at 0640 before the 216/240 came out, as you say it's looking good at 240 - but nowhere near as good in the more reliable timeframe 

• Like 6

Posted

Yea ECM is a slight downgrade everything further North there is no two ways about it but this can chance over time and revert back South again, people talk about 240hr a lot on here and how good it looks for further down the line just to put a brave face on the downgrade but i always take that far out with a pinch of salt,      

Lets hope Friday Night through to Sunday delivers for most of us first then look further ahead after that.:)

Edited by booferking

Posted

The Gfs 6z op is a bit Meh next week, starts very mild, especially across southern UK and then temps return to near normal for a time with a mix of sunshine and showers with some wintry on northern hills before turning a little milder later next week with the most unsettled weather in the northwest.

ukmaxtemp.png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

ukmaxtemp (2).png

ukmaxtemp (3).png

ukprec.png

ukmaxtemp (4).png

h850t850eu.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

I am starting to worry that this might be just another ECM false dawn, it has done this sort of thing a few times already this Winter. I mean if it can get the pattern wrong two runs on the trot for the all important T120-T144 period then what hope does it have at T240? The GFS upgrade seems to me to have got things about right so far this Winter, the Atlantic has indeed dominated and there have been far less of the usual la la land windups from GFS that we have become accustomed to. I would like to see GFS on board before getting too excited about any cold spell.

Anyone got the performance stats I wonder for the Mid January cold snap?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

D10 GFS, GEM and CMA... fairly similar indeed.

All indicating LP over us with high to our east slowing it down with every chance of this sinking south and heights building to NE.

Screenshot_2016-01-28-10-46-03.png

Screenshot_2016-01-28-10-46-19.png

Screenshot_2016-01-28-10-47-01.png

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, snowray said:

Anyone got the performance stats I wonder for the Mid January cold snap?

Just above your post: Gibby includes the stats every day in his weather model run down.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.
12 minutes ago, Gael_Force said:

Just above your post: Gibby includes the stats every day in his weather model run down.

Ahhh right you are, thanks for pointing that out.

Posted
1 hour ago, booferking said:

Lets hope Friday Night through to Sunday delivers for most of us first then look further ahead after that.:)

What are you expecting Friday night through Sunday to deliver for most of the UK and Ireland exactly? 

I can see a cold zonal blast across the far north but diddly squat for the south of the UK! 

• Like 8

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

What are you expecting Friday night through Sunday to deliver for most of the UK and Ireland exactly? 

I can see a cold zonal blast across the far north but diddly squat for the south of the UK! 

I think this is what he's talking about:

image.png

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Rocheydub said:

I think this is what he's talking about:

image.png

Like I said in my post above, diddly squat for the south of the UK with max temps of 6 / 7 / 8 celsius, colder further north / northwest with wintry showers bringing a mix of rain, hail, sleet and wet snow.

ukmaxtemp.png

prectypeuktopo.png

prectypeuktopo (1).png

ukmaxtemp (1).png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
15 minutes ago, Frosty. said:

graphe3_1000_267.94000244140625_31.85999Not often we see 100%

Posted
13 minutes ago, geminitracie said:

Isn't that rain and gales ?

Yea maybe for you rain!   but really can people in here not read maybe i need to highlight the 3 crucial words that people love to overlook.  most of us

Now when you look at that chart provided kindly by Rocheydub you can see over 3/4 of the country is seeing some way in form of snow

Edited by booferking
  • Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

maybe few members in her need to go to specksavers.:D

I suppose that was aimed at me? I am not visually challenged but I can't see anything wintry in the south where most members on here are from with max temps in the 5 / 8 celsius range! :nonono:

• Like 9

Posted

GEFS are pretty much zonal from start to finish. A few individual charts look interesting if you run quickly through the sequences everything is moving west to east at a fair speed. ECM has been more interesting but to be honest i think the best we can hope for from this pattern is something akin to what we had last week. I still cant see anything to suggest 'deep cold' at this time. 

I thought Frosty's summary looked perfectly reasonable. 

Edit - IMHO be wary or the 'snow predictions' from those GFS charts. They are renowned for overplaying snow. 

Edited by Jason M
  • Like 4