Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2016

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
32 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I'll make clear that I'm not a fan of extended cold by an means, but if we have to put up with it then it may as well come with some exciting weather - not just cold for the sake of cold. I'm certainly not ignoring the effect it can have on health though do wonder just how cold you find it considering your a wild swimmer? Equally, we hardly had the heating on in November and December and only intermittently for the rest of the winter and into spring given we're out of the house quite a lot so it's not quite as problematic this year than if we'd had a winter like 2009/10. 

Overall, I'd much prefer a warm up.

I'm a bare-skin winter swimmer and swim in just Speedos in water down to 0C however that involves physiological adaptation which took years to acquire. My cold-hardening kicks in below 12C water temp.  Above that I feel the cold as badly as any 66yo, both water and chilly breezes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

From Saturday these single figure day time highs will be gone as we finally return to something milder though not necessarily dry

46464.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Despite the cold weather April has been an average month

"Provisional early figures for April 2016 (1st – 27th) show that so far, despite the chilly temperatures and snow seen by many, the month has been around normal with rainfall at 96% of average, sunshine 94% of average and the mean average temperature just 0.7C below average."

https://blog.metoffice.gov.uk/2016/04/28/despite-the-cold-weather-april-has-been-an-average-month/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
3 hours ago, Snowyowl9 said:

The last week of april has been much below average,the coldest last week I`ve seen and snowiest.

It is not unusual to have snow in April,even late in the month,it seemed to be more common in the 80s and 90s but maybe you were not around to witness the last week of April 1981,we had blizzard like conditions with enormous drifts,never seen anything remotely like it since,a league of its own !

Posted

I was around then but can`t remember that,no the 90`s didn`t give snow like this for the last week in april check the stats, and 1981 was a one huge freak event but which wasn`t seeing snow for 4 days on the trot a few days later.

Another slight dusting again today..

Posted

I have to say I'm enjoying this Spring because of the variety. Thunder, hail, snow, sunshine etc, only just lacking a real warm burst but that may change next month. 

Best springs for me, are the highly variable ones. The homogeneous ones I find tedious.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes a very enjoyable and interesting Spring here thus far.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Other than the last week, this spring has felt quite normal save for the slightly lower temperatures overall. Wet and stormy interspersed with longer dry spells in March; plenty of April showers this month and a few good sunny days too. The only thing missing has been any lasting warmth.