Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2016

Posted
On 12/04/2016 at 6:39 PM, cheese said:

Are you kidding me? The trees have taken ages to get going this year - well behind on last year and previous years. The mild winter has done nothing to kick-start spring growth.

On 13/04/2016 at 7:50 AM, 4wd said:

Definitely a rather late season now here.

Wild daffodils are more consistent and are mainly open now whereas in mild springs e.g. 2012 it can be mid-March.
Hawthorn did start to break early but it's still the only tree/bush with any green.

Hardly surprising when highest temperature of the year so far is only 12.8C on 24th January.
It is quite annoying to hear 'media' constanty going on about how mild it has been and how early things are, when as usual it's mainly only the south.

Interesting to hear this.. this doesn't seem to be the story down here. Many Oaks are coming out around here now and a few were starting in March.. which I can never remember before, and I saw some Hawthorn coming out in February. I have seen many other trees such as Sycamore, Birch, Hazel, Elder, Poplar, etc coming into leaf (Elder and isolated Birch+Sycamore sightings towards the end of March), and I think I saw a beech with leaves on. However there is still a 'more brown than green' appearance overall

Bluebells have been out for a couple of weeks in places, though I need to go and check one of the proper bluebell woods to see what that's like.

However, It doesn't seem to have been particularly quick due to the cooler weather since, and we are probably starting to (or will soon) fall behind April 2011 as an average.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

Interesting to hear this.. this doesn't seem to be the story down here. Many Oaks are coming out around here now and a few were starting in March.. which I can never remember before, and I saw some Hawthorn coming out in February. I have seen many other trees such as Sycamore, Birch, Hazel, Elder, Poplar, etc coming into leaf (Elder and isolated Birch+Sycamore sightings towards the end of March), and I think I saw a beech with leaves on. However there is still a 'more brown than green' appearance overall

Bluebells have been out for a couple of weeks in places, though I need to go and check one of the proper bluebell woods to see what that's like.

However, It doesn't seem to have been particularly quick due to the cooler weather since, and we are probably starting to (or will soon) fall behind April 2011 as an average.

Oh, over the past few days the trees have burst into life - and the large oak near my house is completely green now. It's amazing what a couple of warm, dry, sunny days can achieve. However, it feels like it's taken longer to get to this point compared to the past few years.. although, 2010 and 2013 were kind of late too due to the cold/extended winters.

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A definite burst in greenery this week which is nice, especially in the sunshine. Should squeeze some warmish days next week too which will help.

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, cheese said:

Oh, over the past few days the trees have burst into life - and the large oak near my house is completely green now. It's amazing what a couple of warm, dry, sunny days can achieve. However, it feels like it's taken longer to get to this point compared to the past few years.. although, 2010 and 2013 were kind of late too due to the cold/extended winters.

Yeah fair enough, I just looked at some photos I took on the 13th April 2011 and apparently most trees were further ahead by then, More birch and beech coming out, and also blossom and leaves on an apple tree which is bare now. Just some Oaks and a few others seemed to start very early this year.
As you say, it seems to have been a slow process, we started earlier here due to the mild winter but have now fallen behind at least 2011 for most trees when everything burst to life due to that record April.

• Like 1

Posted

Well, I can't really remember seeing significantly colder min temp forcasts from the GFS this winter (at close range at least):

ukmintemp.png

ukmintemp.png

ukmintemp.png

Is the date on these charts really almost May?

I'm curious as to what affect this could have on newly leafing trees? I assume some leaves could get frosted/fall off with new leaves emerging later on. I've seen light frosts that haven't had any real visible affect on trees in late April/May but assume if it got down to e.g. -5C in prone spots that is likely to do some damage..

Of course with this being 8-10 days away, it is likely to change and probably won't be this extreme, though there seems to be some model consensus for something notable.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

As usual, the cold air seems to be aimed at the UK, the story of the past five years.  Obviously the gods are displeased with us.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Yes, agree. Surely it's the turn of E Europe to have the cold northerlies and us the warm southerlies? Getting ridiculous!

Posted
2 hours ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Except in winter of course ;)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
On ‎17‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 2:43 PM, Evening thunder said:

Well, I can't really remember seeing significantly colder min temp forcasts from the GFS this winter (at close range at least):

ukmintemp.png

ukmintemp.png

ukmintemp.png

Is the date on these charts really almost May?

I'm curious as to what affect this could have on newly leafing trees? I assume some leaves could get frosted/fall off with new leaves emerging later on. I've seen light frosts that haven't had any real visible affect on trees in late April/May but assume if it got down to e.g. -5C in prone spots that is likely to do some damage..

Of course with this being 8-10 days away, it is likely to change and probably won't be this extreme, though there seems to be some model consensus for something notable.

Loving this global warming. Maybe without it those charts would show -10C for the UK? :rofl:

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

An outstanding afternoon and evening here. Very very pleasant conditions. Looks superb wall to wall sunshine tomorrow (Wednesday) too then all downhill for sometime it seems. 

Will be gutted if this La Niña kicks in just in time for summer. We really do have the most frustrating luck/climate. Always the right Synoptics at the opposite time of year we want them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
On 19/04/2016 at 0:02 AM, Costa Del Fal said:

An outstanding afternoon and evening here. Very very pleasant conditions. Looks superb wall to wall sunshine tomorrow (Wednesday) too then all downhill for sometime it seems. 

Will be gutted if this La Niña kicks in just in time for summer. We really do have the most frustrating luck/climate. Always the right Synoptics at the opposite time of year we want them.

Indeed, record warmth in winter and cool/wet in summer makes it just seem like a perpetual autumn. I for one am getting rather tired of it all. Been saying it for a while now.

We seem to be the Arctic outflow in summer and in winter we're the butt of the WAA with cold funnelling down E and W of us.

One thing is for certain...if we have a wet summer this year then I suspect many places could be in serious trouble with flooding next autumn/winter...the thought of a strong nina winter fills me with dread.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

This Spring is fast becoming a non-event. Very boring indeed. I hope May salvages something otherwise Spring 2016 will be very forgettable.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

It's that time of year when even an 'arctic blast' sees day time highs get close to or just into double figures nights will be cold tho across the UK and that's probably when the chance of any snow will be greatest

5464.png7656.png45654.png46536.png87644.png998665.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not very spring like up here today! Stopped at the edge of Loch Tay in the sunshine it looked stunning but only 5°C at 3pm in a biting wind... Got to the cottage about 15 mins later just before a mini blizzard blew through, love it! :)  

This

loch tay.jpg   

To this

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

What a fantastic day of weather. Best northerly event for years! Daytime was mostly fine with warm sunshine (out of the cool wind of course) then multiple heavy soft hail/snow showers giving numerous temporary dustings and then 2 thunderstorms to top things off!! Some bright flashes and some pretty close with good deep rumbles of thunder! Excellent day! :D

Posted
10 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

What a fantastic day of weather. Best northerly event for years! Daytime was mostly fine with warm sunshine (out of the cool wind of course) then multiple heavy soft hail/snow showers giving numerous temporary dustings and then 2 thunderstorms to top things off!! Some bright flashes and some pretty close with good deep rumbles of thunder! Excellent day! :D

Yes - if more northerlies could be like this, even at this time of year, then I'd welcome them with open arms. Some fantastic cloudscapes and varied weather conditions yesterday, and likely more today. Such a shame I was in an exam during yesterday afternoon's Bristol thunderstorm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and blisteringly hot
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

Yes - if more northerlies could be like this, even at this time of year, then I'd welcome them with open arms. Some fantastic cloudscapes and varied weather conditions yesterday, and likely more today. Such a shame I was in an exam during yesterday afternoon's Bristol thunderstorm.

Not so much fun for those of us who are still having to pay through the nose to run the central heating at full blast at the end of April.  Those of us in our later years feel the cold and the current extension of winter is not just unwelcome but potentially fatal.   I can (and do) withstand extreme cold without harm for a limited time, but this continuing chilly weather I find enervating and in fact is beginning to affect my health.

• Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Wildswimmer Pete said:

Not so much fun for those of us who are still having to pay through the nose to run the central heating at full blast at the end of April.  Those of us in our later years feel the cold and the current extension of winter is not just unwelcome but potentially fatal.   I can (and do) withstand extreme cold without harm for a limited time, but this continuing chilly weather I find enervating and in fact is beginning to affect my health.

I'll make clear that I'm not a fan of extended cold by an means, but if we have to put up with it then it may as well come with some exciting weather - not just cold for the sake of cold. I'm certainly not ignoring the effect it can have on health though do wonder just how cold you find it considering your a wild swimmer? Equally, we hardly had the heating on in November and December and only intermittently for the rest of the winter and into spring given we're out of the house quite a lot so it's not quite as problematic this year than if we'd had a winter like 2009/10. 

Overall, I'd much prefer a warm up.