Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Weather discussion 16/01/16 Onwards

Liam J

Posted

It's been a very good day today, saving this winter from the 'dire' pile.  Went to sleep last night with pouring rain, and woke up with a white covered wintry landscape.  Obviously I knew about the forecast for it too start as rain and turn colder through the night, but the outcome was way above expectations.  Snow pretty much through the day and only in the last few hours as it turned back to sleet/rain.  It won't last long with 7c and sun tomorrow but hey-ho it is March after all.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winter, Hot Summer

I was up at 5.45 this morning and it was hammering down with rain.. 20 mins later had turned to snow.

Another often said or posted myth debunked, ground is too wet for the snow to stick.

Ground was absolutely sodden last night. If the snow intensity is there, it will accumulate. We saw that last January also.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Fun today venturing up the tops

We even got over Snake Pass despite the road being closed. Not once, even at 550m though did the temperature drop below 1C. It did however briefly drop to 0C up the Cat & Fiddle on the way back. Plenty of pics and videos. Not sure if I can be bothered to upload them all, but it was worth almost getting stuck at the top of Snake's Pass, just for the videos we got.

Brilliant day :)

• Like 4

Posted

Looks like a good day had by many! I guess most are seeing the start of a thaw?

Seeing a cm this morning was a decent surprise, was not expecting to wake up to a cover, just snowing onto already wet ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Snow didnt really stick here but was nice seeing some flakes at last !! Its a bit windy here and cold and rainy 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Darren Bown said:

Looks like a good day had by many! I guess most are seeing the start of a thaw?

Seeing a cm this morning was a decent surprise, was not expecting to wake up to a cover, just snowing onto already wet ground.

Yep thaw underway all I can hear sat near the window where the gutter is drip drip. And the snow cover is becoming noticeably thinner now if I look out, most of it could be gone by morning if this rain carries on & if we don't see skies clear to freeze what is left. Was a fun day though, probably best snow depth since 2013 round here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Zilch here, absolutely zilch. What a torrid winter and still beats '13/'14 comfortably as the worst winter for this location. There was snow falling this morning apparently....but I'm informed it didn't even come close to sticking.

5 hours ago, CreweCold said:

Zilch here, absolutely zilch. What a torrid winter and still beats '13/'14 comfortably as the worst winter for this location. There was snow falling this morning apparently....but I'm informed it didn't even come close to sticking.

It snowed in Crewe alrite and for a brief period stuck in places. I was out in it all day and can vouch for that . Was horrible

Posted

these were taken at midday yesterday on the grass in my garden.... We had heavy snow falling through to 5pm when we had a pretty stark clearance of the front.... The snow fell off the top of the fence due to the amount and accumulated an additional 6-8cm (2&1/2-3 inches) in the afternoon period..... 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

There will be plenty of of ice scraping needed for anyone out and about in the car this morning.

temperatures are only hovering around 0c but yesterday's snow to rain event as left everything coated in ice although a sunny start should see a thaw set in shortly.

looks like a decent days weather coming up

Posted

The hills to my east look lovely this morning. Getting ready for a drive there.

Spring can bloody wait! :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Min last night was  1.9°C, already up to 5.5°C now

Edited by Chris.R

Posted

The remains of my snow this morning...the dogs not impressed!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, karyo said:

The hills to my east look lovely this morning. Getting ready for a drive there.

Spring can bloody wait! :-)

Yup, hilly areas round here have a decent covering left karyo, Im going Dovestones resevoir soon :) 

Posted

i do feel the met office warning yesterday was slightly wrong & there should have been an ice warning out lastnight through to this morning. As I live below 200m and got a couple of inches lasting through the night. Paths where very slippy this morning on way into work.

anyways, the sun is out and it feels warm in the sunshine. Bye snow! 

Posted

No home internet connection at the moment, typical as it has coincided with a wintry period.. anyhow, yes nice to see a slight layer of snow first thing yesterday morning. It could have been a notable snow event, had we a colder injection of air ahead of the front and had it pivoted further to the north, we had a lot of heavy rain for a number of hours and it only turned to snow once the front cleared through and we had a wrap around of colder air. Alas good to see places further south got a few inches.

The best snowfalls are always the ones that surprise us. Yesterday was a very similar event to Boxing Day 2014 in this respect, all those a few weeks ago saying no chance of snow now.. mmm this is lesson learnt! even on the back of a very mild winter, snow can occur well into the spring given the right synoptics, history has shown this.

Fells look magnificent at the moment, plan a snowy trek tomorrow morning to make the most of the arctic conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

Not a bad day so far with some sunshine but a cold wind especially out of the sun, got up to 6.3c but feeling lower with the wind chill.

Meanwhile up in the Yorkshire Dales some impressive snow totals from yesterday, looks deeper with the drifting. 

fleet.thumb.jpg.006f0474cdc6bbcc9e14def4fleet1.thumb.jpg.b2974346fde20acd7114eed

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Not much snow cover left now around here on low ground, just some patches on sheltered grass where the sun didn't catch it and in peoples gardens further up the road. Hills still look very white though as I look east.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Max today was 7.3°C. Those palm trees in the Wirral  have started growing over here!

Looking forward to some nice spring sunshine and warmth after next week, especially as it looks like it might turn much colder again later in the month after the SSW. I like months with extremes of both warm and cold. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

IT IS SNOWING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yahoo:

• Like 4