Posted
7 minutes ago, PerfectStorm said:

WHAT - is that...a...:shok:

gfs-0-126.png?18

I don't know, what is it?

Posted
2 minutes ago, JeffC said:

Bartlett???

No, it's a Scandinavia High, with an undercut on the way. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I don't know, what is it?

Possible another point of interest more negative tilt on the following low then it attempts an undercut.

Edited by SN0WM4N

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms

I think he meant the shape of the isobars around London, unless I just have a dirty mind

Edited by Snowman31
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Sorry folks, height rises across Scandinavia. Although looks like a sinker. Didn't actually notice the willy lol. 

gfs-0-162.png?18

Edited by PerfectStorm

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowman31 said:

I think he meant the shape of the isobars around London. You can see what it looks like, unless I just have a dirty mind

I can't believe people didnt get that , I must be similar to you lol

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, PerfectStorm said:

Sorry folks, height rises across Scandinavia. Although looks like a sinker. 

gfs-0-162.png?18

It does, but to be fair, it wouldn't take much adjustment for it to become a scandi HP. There was a good negative tilt to the low too. 

One to watch. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Sensible discussions please guys.Ta.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

Out of interest. What time does the ARPEGE 18z come out? 

Posted

The UKMO have gone with their own raw output in the fax charts which is surprising. I expect the last rites will be done tomorrow.

I can't see that UKMO output surviving past tomorrow morning, No support from any operational run and about 5 out of 50 ECM ensembles backed its view.

• Like 1

Posted

I say it every year...99% of fax charts are a complete replica of the UKMO run. Makes me wonder why they bother with it to be honest. It is extremely rare for them not to follow the UKMO run

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

The UKMO have gone with their own raw output in the fax charts which is surprising. I expect the last rites will be done tomorrow.

I can't see that UKMO output surviving past tomorrow morning, No support from any operational run and about 5 out of 50 ECM ensembles backed its view.

You are kidding me - please tell me that isn't true, they spend days contradicting the text forecast with their FAX and now the UKMO collapses, the BBC mention disruptive snow for midweek and they change their fax the other way!!!!

• Like 3

Posted

Have to say this week has been a fascinating watch and continues to be so.  Never seen such a rollercoaster of a week and continues to be so with model after model giving wildly variant outcomes. Great spectator sport

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

I say it every year...99% of fax charts are a complete replica of the UKMO run. Makes me wonder why they bother with it to be honest. It is extremely rare for them not to follow the UKMO run

I was about to say the exact same thing mate!!!expect further changes in coming days!!!already the front that was meant to come in on monday doesnt make.it past wales on the 18z whereas this morning the 00z had it in the north sea!!

Posted
41 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Ridiculous model disagreement going on at the moment. Even tomorrow night it's EC/Euro4 vs GFS with regards to where this snowfall is going. I've never seen anything like this.

This is utter chaos. The GFS, for all its faults, rarely chops and changes too much inside T60 but now the snow for Sunday morning is 150 miles further south than on the 12Z, the snow on Monday is 150 miles west, and the UKMO front for Wednesday magically appears with snow for Midlands north! The most surprising thing will be if the 00Z is anything like the same.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

I'd rather just have my snow fall tomorrow and Monday to be honest...let's hit reset, have a couple of milder days and go again. All we are doing by 'battling' this...is trying to milk awkward synoptics for snow fans which could or could not pay off - in the meantime, we have wasted another week to 10 days of 'meh' winter weather.

• Like 7

Posted
Just now, Tim Bland said:

It depends I have sometimes seen them modify them but I think there was an office party this evening  at the UKMO and  the Duty Forecaster didn't want to miss out on the spin the bottle and just thought a quick replication of the raw output would suffice! lol

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Much better 18z in FI compared to 12z on the GFS, Warm Air Advection about to go into polar regions, could see a big Easterly come 384 but all for fun at this range of course.

gfsnh-0-210_tym2.png

gfsnh-0-204_lne6.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
5 minutes ago, shaky said:

I was about to say the exact same thing mate!!!expect further changes in coming days!!!already the front that was meant to come in on monday doesnt make.it past wales on the 18z whereas this morning the 00z had it in the north sea!!

I'll be honest, I am struggling to understand it all at the moment. There has been huge uncertainty in the close time frames, but many of the model runs are still insisting of a milder spell of weather to return come mid week, with the High Pressure heading East into Europe and the Jet increasing in strength.

I get how in the short term fronts may back west etc and we may stay colder for longer but the end result is still the same, if delaying milder uppers to push in by a day or two. I am not saying it's certain to happen, but most outputs seem to be heading that way now...at least in my eyes.

Edited by Chris K
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Much better 18z in FI compared to 12z on the GFS, Warm Air Advection about to go into polar regions, could see a big Easterly come 384 but all for fun at this range of course.

gfsnh-0-210_tym2.png

gfsnh-0-204_lne6.png

A few 12z perturbations had some form of easterly in the medium term - the vagaries of NWP modelling or a growing trend? - time will tell I guess

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

You are kidding me - please tell me that isn't true, they spend days contradicting the text forecast with their FAX and now the UKMO collapses, the BBC mention disruptive snow for midweek and they change their fax the other way!!!!

Blame the office party! lol Seriously though the UKMO output is an outlier not just for western Europe but over the ne USA and Arctic Canada.

Although the models have been all over the place if you put aside the differing views of placement of high pressure near Scandi they all have similar upstream and downstream patterns.

The detail might be a little sketchy but they're all singing from the same hymn sheet, the UKMO is singing in a different language.

• Like 1