Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
10 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Strange, as it's been 6C here all day and now it's down to 5.4C as the wind has turned to the NW, but it's only dropping by 0.2C / hour, so I wouldn't call it evaporative cooling (I know you didn't).

I went from 6.5 to 5.1 in that heavier burst, granted not evap cooling territory perhaps, but was still quite steep over a very short period of time.

if I was at 3.2 and fell the same amount, snow would have been a distinct possibility. That's all.

but it wasn't and it isn't. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

Posted
1 hour ago, kent said:

Below normal doesn't necessarily mean cold enough for snow. Personally I don't think I can stomach another lengthy marginal event of long distance non verification charts. Rather see some promise of an early spring.

Exactly.

"Below normal" in early March, for our neck of the woods?

6/7c i would think.

If that turns out to be the case then hopefully anticyclonic and dry, rather than cold rain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.

This winter has sucked the very life out of me it has been that bad! :wallbash:

I feel like the kid in harry potter - dead inside :nonono:

dementor_dudley1.thumb.jpg.5af0c75991e49

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I went from 6.5 to 5.1 in that heavier burst, granted not evap cooling territory perhaps, but was still quite steep over a very short period of time.

if I was at 3.2 and fell the same amount, snow would have been a distinct possibility. That's all.

but it wasn't and it isn't. :nonono::nonono::nonono:

No,don't get me wrong (wasn't a personal attack...), I was hoping to see some evaporative cooling as the intensity picked up, you got lucky your way, it didn't happen here. Just goes to show living in the higher elevations (as you do :)  ) it has some effect.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

No,don't get me wrong, I was hoping to see some evaporative cooling as the intensity picked up, you got lucky your way, it didn't happen here. Just goes to show living in the higher elevations (as you do :)  ) it has some effect.

So lucky he got slightly colder rain than you..? :rofl:

• Like 3

Posted

Colder air here, temp been sat at 5-5.5C most of the day has dropped off in the least hour, now at 3.8C but no flakes in sight or likely to be!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

So lucky he got slightly colder rain than you..? :rofl:

ROFL, yeah we Dorsetites share our consolation together and well, we are so used to colder wet rain rather than floating crystals of beautiful intense design that so many seek...

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, MrNooo said:

Colder air here, temp been sat at 5-5.5C most of the day has dropped off in the least hour, now at 3.8C but no flakes in sight or likely to be!

To avoid disappointment, hit the nearest supermarket, they have loads stacked on their shelves...:oops:

• Like 2

Posted

2 potentially very interesting setup (Saturday and today) have provided 2 boring cold days of rain (some sleet Saturday) with today being 13 hours and counting of persistent light/moderate rain.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Dorsetbred said:

ROFL, yeah we Dorsetites share our consolation together and well, we are so used to colder wet rain rather than floating crystals of beautiful intense design that so many seek...

Yes, it must be the most snow deprived county in England (far south west aside) 

I need a bigger hill to go live on, but they are in short supply in Dorset :wallbash:

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

I need a bigger hill to go live on, but they are in short supply in Dorset :wallbash:

Cornwall and Devon have seen snow cover on Bodmin moor and Dartmoor so they have seen more than you and me too :rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nights King said:

Cornwall and Devon have seen snow cover on Bodmin moor and Dartmoor so they have seen more than you and me too :rofl:

lol that's a brave statement haha

Posted
14 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

Howz about we go build something up on the car park atop Creech Hill 600+ ft always good for those rare height occasions where it's important. Is this sh!te ever going to stop? With another weekend's worth coming up....

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
1 hour ago, The Enforcer said:

Maximum has only been 4.8C, which is lower than I expected. However, at 7pm it is now only 4.5C, so would need to crash rapidly in the next few hours to have even a slight chance of a change to snow.

Progress in last hour - 0C - still 4.5C.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Howz about we go build something up on the car park atop Creech Hill 600+ ft always good for those rare height occasions where it's important. Is this sh!te ever going to stop? With another weekend's worth coming up....

with my luck, if i managed to build a 600ft + hill, a fault would appear below and it would be uninhabitable due to it becoming an active volcano  :closedeyes:

• Like 1

Posted

Been -3.5 most of the day. The rain  has been pretty persistent but nothing remarkable. South Oxfordshire does rubbish in the snow stakes too..I may as well blame the M4 and I'll add the M40 in for good measure. In fact that and the Thames are probably more significant in sucking weather of any variety than the M4 for us. 

There's still a warning in place for snow for the region. Even if there was a blizzard for 6 hours I doubt it would stick to the wet ground in any case

Posted
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

with my luck, if i managed to build a 600ft + hill, a fault would appear below and it would be uninhabitable due to it becoming an active volcano  :closedeyes:

And any snow that fell would rapidly melt on the warm hillside

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Frosty hollows said:

And any snow that fell would rapidly melt on the warm hillside

oh absolutely 

• Like 1

Posted

I reckon somewhere like Stansted maybe a bit further east of their will be in the sweet spot of anything getting down to lower levels.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I reckon somewhere like Stansted maybe a bit further east of their will be in the sweet spot of anything getting down to lower levels.

According to my met office app it will start to turn from heavy rain to snow around 10pm :rofl: 

So when is this new ppn turning up.. :whistling:

hiradarzoomv42.thumb.png.9f10801a702ed2c

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Possibility of some back edge stuff just beginning show as the front leaves the Gloucester area....Oxford maybe you get lucky after all..

I can dream but the rain is really coming down now so unless we get a rapid fall in temperature I'd say not likely here. Chilterns possible?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
1 hour ago, Nights King said:

I can vouch for that......I'll get my coat :oops:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

The rain has pretty much come to an end here, just the odd fleeting drop here and there! 13.5mm. A little way to go before clearer skies make inroads though.

56c4ded97a09c_2016-02-17(8).thumb.png.27