Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

with regards to the MAD thread, standby its going to be a bumpy ride!!!:rofl:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
8 minutes ago, fromey said:

with regards to the MAD thread, standby its going to be a bumpy ride!!!:rofl:

I'm not entering until I have a 24 pack of Heineken 

• Like 1

Posted

One has to keep in mind that 'chasing the easterly' is an annual event in the MOD thread. It's a sado/masochistic  ritual that is part of the initiation tests that newbies have to pass before acceptance as bone fide members of the 'coldie club'. Hence when thrown the odd bone by the GFS it's manna from heaven and the hare is running

:shok::shok:............:clapping::clapping:

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur2_39.thumb.png.3c7058f7

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: summer thunderstorms snow snow snow
3 minutes ago, knocker said:

One has to keep in mind that 'chasing the easterly' is an annual event in the MOD thread. It's a sado/masochistic  ritual that is part of the initiation tests that newbies have to pass before acceptance as bone fide members of the 'coldie club'. Hence when thrown the odd bone by the GFS it's manna from heaven and the hare is running

:shok::shok:............:clapping::clapping:

gfs_t2maf_slp_eur2_39.thumb.png.3c7058f7

Putting my fishermans hat on,we haven't had a really good easterly blow for what seems like ages. 

Talking about it the other night,consensus amoungst the troops(fishermen) is that one's due.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

Well we did manage to get a dusting from some localised snizzle in Gloucester this morning, enough to turn the pavement and roads white so it looked wintery at least. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I'm not entering until I have a 24 pack of Heineken 

And a tranquilizer gun!!:D 

Edited by fromey
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

Absolutely stunningly very cold frosty/icy Morning, Most of the island ranged between 0'c to around -3'c but there were some parts of the island got down to -6 - -7'c, so we decided to head out to see what photo oppurtunities we could find, it was extremely cold and was not easy to hole the camera for too long, but I manage to come across this beautiful little seen

Newtown Creek, towards the North West Part of the Island, the water was also partly frozen

Newtown.jpg

Edited by Stormyking
  • Like 8

Posted
14 hours ago, chapmanslade said:

Drove into Warminster at 7pm and it was -2C then which as you say is pretty good going for that early in the evening. -5/-6C is about your limit without snow cover. Managed -15C in 2010 with snow which made working outside challenging !

You were spot on Greg, -5.9c was the min so the same as Mike in the Bristol area.

Seriously hoping the frost hangs on for a good time tomorrow and there must be a chance of freezing drizzle/rain later tomorrow due to the ground temperature being so low.

Re the post above about 'snizzle' ; did you have freezing fog? If so you had crystallized fog which can be extremely localised and is a thing of absolute beauty. I have only witnessed it twice ever and on one occasion it left a covering on one side of the road I lived on but nothing the opposite side!

• Like 1

Posted

i think we will be lucky to have a frost come tomorrow morning, just caught the forecast, grim is the best way to describe it, lets hope the GFS is on to something this time and the rest of the models catch up, just seen a tweet from Matt Hugo and its a graph of zonal winds as shown by the ECM they take them down to almost zero. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
7 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

Re the post above about 'snizzle' ; did you have freezing fog? If so you had crystallized fog which can be extremely localised and is a thing of absolute beauty. I have only witnessed it twice ever and on one occasion it left a covering on one side of the road I lived on but nothing the opposite side!

We did indeed have freezing fog, car was reading -3C at the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Early January 2009 and 2010 both recorded -8C and -7C respectively here without snowcover, but the depth of cold was much greater - it had been cold since Christmas 2008 re the former, and uppers were lower in January 2010. Generally though, -6C is the limit here with no snowcover. The lower numbers tend to show up when there have been a few successive frosts, severe enough to last all day in some spots to start the cooling process quicker.

The nice thing this morning was seeing how little the thermometer on the car changed when I got to Clevedon before joining the M5 to go to work. Still -5C there, and all the way to Avonmouth where it was -4C before returning to -5C just north of Cribbs. Lovely hue to the sky too first thing.

Let's hope this upcoming yucky spell is as short and as dry as possible and that the easterly showing at the back end of next week verifies. Would be very similar timing to 2012 if it did.

Posted
2 hours ago, jtay said:

Sigh.... Here we go again... :rolleyes:

I reckon Netweather doctor the charts occasionally to ensure the traffic through the site stays high. Lol!

• Like 5

Posted
4 hours ago, karlos1983 said:

Ahem, cough cough

timing is everything :rofl:

image.png

image.png

This is enough to make a grown man loose his mind.

• Like 3

Posted
2 hours ago, fromey said:

i think we will be lucky to have a frost come tomorrow morning, just caught the forecast, grim is the best way to describe it, lets hope the GFS is on to something this time and the rest of the models catch up, just seen a tweet from Matt Hugo and its a graph of zonal winds as shown by the ECM they take them down to almost zero. 

Yes I posted before the 13.30 forecast having thought the fronts wouldn't arrive until tomorrow pm, however it seems the first is due to turn up later in the night which I suppose increases the likelihood of freezing drizzle.

Posted

:yahoo::yahoo:Just secured my allocation for Barcelona V Arsenal at Camp Nou in March :yahoo::yahoo:

Lets hope February is a cracking month for coldies so the time flies by :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
1 minute ago, karlos1983 said:

:yahoo::yahoo:Just secured my allocation for Barcelona V Arsenal at Camp Nou in March :yahoo::yahoo:

Lets hope not for a double disappointment then...... 

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Well done! You support Barcelona?:shok::D

:nonono:

• Like 1

Posted
47 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

I hope your February one comes to fruition but...........

March sees you return to blighty totally distraught.....unless you support Barca.

Sorry, couldnt resist karlos - COYS.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms in the summer, frost fog & snow in winter.

What a gorgeous day it's been weather wise, clear blue skies &  so nice to have that crunchy feeling underfoot when walking on the grass, frost has stayed on the ground in the back  garden all day, much better than the quagmire the garden was like through all of December! 

What a shame the mild crud with wind & rain is on it's way back 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Bristle boy said:

I hope your February one comes to fruition but...........

March sees you return to blighty totally distraught.....unless you support Barca.

Sorry, couldnt resist karlos - COYS.

Lol - I'm a realist and acknowledge I will neither be a happy February coldie nor a happy returning Gooner. But I live in hope. Either way, going to be an awesome 5 days away.