Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West & Central Southern England - Weather Chat, 6th December and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Back to normality today,  8.1C with heavy rain now after surprisingly heavy drizzly rain showers earlier. Rain rate just reached 21mm/hr and 7.2mm has fallen so far today.

Euro4 suggests 44mm locally by the end of tomorrow (though less away from southern coasts).. probably not far from yellow warning territory?
16011900_1706.gif

And so my weather forecast (as with many 'cold snaps' here) is..

Sums up the last 2 months in the UK really.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
27 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

As DB said, it comes down to £££. The Netatmo station is good, but it does become pricey when adding on the anemometer and rain gauge. Not only that, you might have to invest a small bit of time and effort in to making a cheap Stevenson screen, as the outside module can be volatile. I made one out of a nest box and a PC fan- gives pretty accurate readings now.

There are also the Ambient weather station clones (I have the 1001 wireless version) I say clones, they are actually identical, companies buy them and stick their own label on them. I find it pretty good, and you get a whole array of sensors. The only downside is that they are all on one unit, so if you want good wind readings, you're likely to compromise rain readings in strong winds. It's no different than the Vantage Vue in that department, and you'd be paying £300 + for that (without a data logger)

Any of the maplins stations £60 - £150 are worth getting. Data logging is a relevant question, as you can hook it up to a PC and use Weather Display or Cumulus, that will then create a web page with past data to view.
The 1001 station I use, has a 4GB data logger built in- doesn't sound like much, but it can log 66 million data points, that's probably 10+ years worth of data. It connects to WiFi and uploads to Wunderground (need a free ID) every 16 seconds.
Funnily enough, I think I have found a hack in the stations firmware to allow me to input my own web servers details, which means I can have my data show on my website every 16 seconds, like Wunderground. I'm gonna experiment with that later on, see if if I can get that working.

Are the Maplins stations far inferior to the Netmato station and Ambient weather station clones? If they're as good or almost as good it sounds like I should save a few quid and go with the Maplins. Again thanks for your help it's much appreciated.

Posted
55 minutes ago, John88B said:

Just view it I s'pose. I'd be looking at spending a max of about £500. Could I get anything decent at that price? And of course if there was something a lot cheaper that anyone would recommend I'd look in to it. Thanks for your help.

Interesting that I have been running with (ssshhh dont say it too loud) La Crosse unit.

I have a 2310 running for the last 8 years, even though I have replaced worn out sensors (and I mean worn out not failed), and have just added a newer 2800 unit as my principal unit with the older one as backup. Now to update the webby thing (websites aint my thing really) as the newer unit is able to respond to live updates, rather than 30 second updates.

I never shout too loud about this as most folks hate the la Crosse items, but for me, running on weather display they have served me very well.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, kingdogleash said:

what I would like is to connect to the web and see realtime data is that possible? heck I work in IT I know it is!

THat's what I do, as does Mapantz. I run my data onto a notepad laptop and from there it uploads to Go Daddy, where my website resides, using Weather display. See my link below. Mapantz way is far more techie than mine, but I just let mine plod on, storing data and making it available, so for me it works. Of course you could really geek it and use a RASPBERRY as you basic data capture and do a web upload from there, saves using a PC.

Edited by Dorsetbred
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
3 hours ago, Nights King said:

I think late evening Tuesday into the early hours of Wednesday could still throw out a possible surprise when colder air digs back west under any ppn but then I might be clutching at straws now. :hi:

I think Princetown has the odd sleet symbol for that time. But if that's sleet at 400 metres don't fancy our chances.

Posted

This weather malarkey is bonkers and frustrating. After temps of 8c and a lot of rain it seemingly gets colder here again with top temps of 5c and almost down to freezing at night up till Wednesday. But agonisingly its just not enough for snow. Funny, this Atlantic break through keeps being put back shame the cold has been modified here to not take advantage. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

Right, so it seems we hit the lowest of the low in here this morning... Phew, glad that's done with; judging by current MAD thread thinking, there is a lot to be optimistic about, so let's start the new week on a positive. I'm off to bed, this weekends shenanigans have done me in. :closedeyes:Zzzzz

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
25 minutes ago, Dunlop Dave said:

Raining hard in guernsey

some pics and a vid of 2013 to cheer us up

image.png

image.png

IMG_1199.mov

Speak for yourself lol that just brings back bad memories :wallbash:

• Like 3

Posted

Another shift west of the cold on the 18z. Could get some decent frosts this week. :closedeyes:

Posted

Does anyone know the last January where we had a decent snowfall?  

Edited by Zephyr

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

Does anyone know the last January where we had a decent snowfall?  

2013. Typically, the winter I was living abroad!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
1 hour ago, MP-R said:

2013. Typically, the winter I was living abroad!

Yes it fell when I was abroad also. :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: winter and summer

yep, such a shame to have the rain pushing in with them awful mild winds but then on the flip side it's also the beginning of moving on to our next cold shot .

Hopefully something more sustained .

Posted
4 minutes ago, Dorsetbred said:

Mornin' all, currently:

Temp  4.5°C

RH 90%

DP 3°C

1008.3 mb Steady

Rainfall 5.1mm

Oh and it's raining..

it is not nice out :bad:

Posted

Morning all,

Just went through the GFS 00z run and it seems pretty mild throughout, no posts in the mod thread also, yet.. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Zephyr said:

Morning all,

Just went through the GFS 00z run and it seems pretty mild throughout, no posts in the mod thread also, yet.. 

I think everyone is exhausted lol

GEM is worth a look. (A good trend setter Model) 

ECM loaded with potential in later stages again. Nice trend appearing hopefully.

winter is not done yet! 

So much for a break from the models.. But I had a 4:30am conf call, so today doesn't count 

Edited by karlos1983

Posted

Thick drizzle, 3.8c and falling as it was 4.2c an hour ago, brisk raw SE wind. Basically the same as we had for most of December except 8c-10c colder!

Any chance of an undercut to turn this precip wintry as it edges away later? The NW precip type is showing sleet on the Eastern edge at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

18th January 2013 :sorry:

image.jpeg

Posted

A grey drizzly 6.9mm day yesterday. Temp rose to 7.1c around midnight.
This morning, 6c, 102 hPa, SE wind 12mph with a few 25mph gusts.
Dry, damp and grey start to today.

Forecasts seem to be showing a cold night , colder Tuesday, but dry.

Edited by lettice

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot in Summer Cold in Winter

Good Morning All,

Grey wet and cold, that is all!

much preferred the sunshine

• Like 1

Posted

Yuck. 6.20am walking the dog. 2C easterly gale and cold rain. Plus phone died due to the unknown hole in coat pocket.....any tips on drying a samsung s6?