Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

Yes out to 120hrs just looks like pretty standard inter run variation to me, the sort of stuff you see every day all year round. If the GFS is going to sift towards the UKMO, then it's going to have to make somewhat bigger leaps I feel.

Edited by weather eater

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

You may ask yourself how do they do this?  You may ask yourself where did that shortwave go to? You may ask yourself is this right or is it wrong, then you may say to yourself my god, what has it done?! 

Sums up what model watching has been like this past week! 

Anyway, what I'm now seeing if anything is backtracking from the GFS more towards a UKMO solution! With the heights raising and the Atlantic being pushed ever further back! 

Good thing is, the cold has began to filter in across northern parts, so we are getting there! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

So as i thought,a slight build oh heights to our N/E sufficient to send the advancing atlantic front packing.

I would bet as we get nearer to that event that the front never reaches the UK.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?&ech=156&mode=0&carte=1

Edited by winterof79
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

The sheer magnitude of the failiure by ECM on that occasion is astounding. That it could come down to +96 before ECM comes around (if it does)... well, we'll all need to put our best sensible hats on if we're to come out of this with our sanity intact.

Liking the hints of trough disruption from the GFS 06z. A backdown does often start with the subtlest of hints from that model.

• Like 4

Posted

GFS6Z turns on the blowtorch in FI but doesn't look a long lasting blowtorch as the euro high retrogresses to the mid Atlantic pulling down colder air from the north west.

Hopefully a trend that will gather momentum in the days ahead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves

Bitterly (forgive the pun:D) disappointing Fi pc model forecast compared to the "epic" cold spell predictions of quite recently. To my untrained eye, all I can foresee going by one of the big players, Ecm, is a return of the Euro slug, as some like to call it,l.:yahoo:

Met Eireann now predicting a return of the Atlantic influence with mild weather from Mon onwards 

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Newberryone said:

Bitterly (forgive the pun:D) disappointing Fi pc model forecast compared to the "epic" cold spell predictions of quite recently. To my untrained eye, all I can foresee going by one of the big players, Ecm, is a return of the Euro slug, as some like to call it.:yahoo:

Met Eireann now predicting a return of the Atlantic influence with mild weather from Mon onwards 

The penalty of believing the synoptic models when they 'appear' to promise deep cold and snow everywhere. One does need to treat these predictions with great care. At long term say beyond 168h and sometimes less always check one model run against the same time the day previous and keep doing this. IF it shows a particular scenario then it may well keep this and gives some confidence. If it keeps switching from one idea to another be very very wary of it showing the one you want.

Edited by Polar Maritime
To move discussion on.
  • Like 8

Posted

I was just taking a look through the GFS ensembles at 120hrs and I am amazed at the differences shown within that timeframe. Does that suggest anything after 96hrs (or before even) is far from decided on the GFS that is?

Some examples below

Control -

gens-0-1-120.png

No 2 (there are many more variations of this theme like this as well)

gens-2-1-120.png

• Like 1

Posted

The spread on uppers on the ECM ens days 8/9 reveal a cluster that bring in a nor Easterly flow which almost makes it as far as the UK. That has to tie in with a block further north. The updated London ens keep a colder surface temp cluster longer bug no idea if this might just be under a stagnant block centred over s England .  Whilst the ops and ens means look quite convincing at the moment post day 7, I would be cautious for a few more runs yet. 

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
49 minutes ago, Singularity said:

Chionio's very helpful post yesterday regarding the effect of the incoming SSW on the vortex - to effectively focus the cyclonic circulation for a time ahead of the major displacement and (hopeful) reversal of the circulation around the pole by month's end - has but a lot of weight behind one of the explanations I was pondering over with respect to the dramatic switch from -ve to +ve AO by recent ECM det. runs. Indeed I can't see any reason to dispute that reasoning.

Another good post S. Worth pointing out that so far no SSW has been forecast. The 'crush' on the vortex will also occur prior to a major warming that does not produce a SSW. So you can have the +ve AO pain but not the end game tropospheric disturbances.....Though the strat vortex will be a lot weaker as a result anyway.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Anyone notice that little LP just North East of Scotland, every run shows it motionless for about 5 days! Seems to me it can be little features like this that can scupper everything, should have moved away South East to allow pressure to build further north but it won't budge.

gens-0-1-96.png

Edited by snowray
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, Mark N said:

I have always said and I think many will mirror me, the rule of thumb with snow is get the cold in first worry about snow later.

The problem with the cold spell we are now on the cusp of is that the cold never really gets a chance to dig in more flirt with us

Posted

OK so we are looking at a possible breakdown at 120, so do we have comparative charts for 120 hours ago from the big 3 from the 0Z runs, to compare to where we are right now ?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Surrey said:

I have always said and I think many will mirror me, the rule of thumb with snow is get the cold in first worry about snow later.

The problem with the cold spell we are now on the cusp of is that the cold never really gets a chance to dig in more flirt with us

Your first comment is very true, and your second goes on to answer that theory, the cold just isn't as extremely cold to guarantee us a wintry mix, those favoured are Hills and elevation further North but a wintry mix further south can't be ruled out and back edge snow falling likely for many as cold air digs in behind and conditions become more favourable for a time.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Coldly
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

You speak for the North of the UK we must remember that us snow starved southerns are gagging for snow that just doesn't look to materialize in the current cold snap! 

Looks good for down south out on Monday, i'l take this all day long, props won't materialise those 850's have been changeable over the the last few days 

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 11.54.22.png

Screen Shot 2016-01-12 at 11.54.34.png