Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy snow, Thunder storms and lightning

Just look at the PV around Greenland again seems to be forming again but it will proberbly look different again come tomorrow

4 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Sadistic chart of the day goes to the ECM:

ECH0-240.GIF?08-0

Almost all of the USA and a massive portion of Europe chucked into the deep freeze....the only place in the bulge of slightly warmer uppers is the UK AGAIN. Couldn't make it up really. There are also no polar or greenland heights left at all by 240....I mean what has happened in 2 daysto go from some charts showing an AO off the scale to this. So disappointing.

That chart to my eyes looks fantastic a cold high heading to Scandinavia and the beast waiting to pounce. 

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ECH0-240.GIF?08-0

Almost all of the USA and a massive portion of Europe chucked into the deep freeze....the only place in the bulge of slightly warmer uppers is the UK AGAIN. Couldn't make it up really. There are also no polar or greenland heights left at all by 240....I mean what has happened in 2 daysto go from some charts showing an AO off the scale to this. So disappointing.

actually no. IF by some miracle that scenario was actually to happen, that would be the supply of cold that the ensuing easterly would drag towards us. we could then be facing snow of biblical proportions! 

then we woke up....

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I would absolutely love an easterly to follow that ECM chart at 264 and 288 hours! More likely is that cold to dissipate over the near continent as low pressure encroaches from the west. More disappointingly on those 12z ensembles it's now the cold runs that are in the minority, with milder in the majority.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
23 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

ECH0-240.GIF?08-0

Only disappointing if at D10 (way out in FI) this becomes a reality for coldies. Meanwhile D4, next Tuesday through to D9, a week Sunday will be a period of varying degrees of below average Temperatures (current thinking 3c to 6c below normal nationwide) and some wintry interludes across a broad swathe of the UK.  :friends:

Edited by gottolovethisweather
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather enthusiast
6 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Erm no. I'm one of the most impartial on here. I like cold and snow but I'm not in to dressing things up ta! It is game over RE Greenland high......fact! If you want to get your knickers in a twist over a day 10 chart from a model that, 24 hours ago, showed a massive Greenland high through its entirety then go ahead. You'll get nowhere in understanding meteorology with that stance though!

Indeed CC, days 8-10 before the great charts appear...again. Cold weather still coming and there's plenty going on before then, especially with that Azores low and how and where it engages with the cold air. Plenty of interest around, even though our lovely heights over Greenland seems to have deflated for now.

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, terrier said:

So we have cross model agreement more or less from the big 3 tonight.Well done to the gfs 18z on Wednesday night for picking up this new signal. Looks like a short sharp cold spell before we're back into the milder air by Friday next week. We see on the ecm tonight what Steve murr feared earlier. And like he said it does now look like it's game over for anything sustained cold wise. 

No this is not true we do not have cross model agreement up to +120, ignore these models if you want all of which have the capability to bring sustained cold.

JMA @120hr                                                                UKMO @120hr                

image.thumb.png.4eac300c0912c7b5fc4f30d9image.thumb.gif.764db86b695d4f5266a3b456

CMA +120hr                                                    GEM eventually gets there +168hr           

image.thumb.png.4eac300c0912c7b5fc4f30d9image.thumb.png.df04a66df4abc5805ce37fe2

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, chris55 said:

ECM is actually a dam good op run, cold Tuesday, colder Wednesday, lots of snow for the heart of the UK Thursday, and a very cold and settled Friday, Saturday and Sunday with an easterly looming......

Obviously we have lost the pretty Greenland high but that's irrelevant.

Though that's just the op run on what is a very varied 12s suite overall.

Many more runs needed for a consensus!

This isn't a bad point. If one just focusses on what is happening over the UK, there's plenty of cold and snow interest for most parts on this run, even if we have to put up with words such as marginal.

Perhaps I should have been reminding myself of what I said a week ago. The PV is rocking around like jelly at the moment. Running through the ECM quickly in NH profile view shows us that. It could send cold out just about anywhere across the northern hemisphere in the next 14 days. Modelling may be completely inconsistent - probably because of this fluidity in the PV - but cold opportunities are going to be flying around left and centre unless the PV can somehow re-organise - and history tells us this is not certain to happen from this point in winter onwards. 

One could imagine the PV is like a "spin the wheel" - it may look for a while as if you're going to land the jackpot, then the wheel spins a bit more than you thought it would - but there's going to be another spin before long, I'm pretty sure.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
6 minutes ago, gottolovethisweather said:

Only disappointing if at D10 (way out in FI) this becomes a reality for coldies. Meanwhile D4, next Tuesday through to D9, a week Sunday will have varying degrees of below average across a broad swathe of the UK. 

Agreed lol. Ian even mentioned the S word on the points west forecast, though as you would expect he said its way to far out for any details. unlike some of the wild press story's around.

Edited by chris55
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.
9 minutes ago, gottolovethisweather said:

Only disappointing if at D10 (way out in FI) this becomes a reality for coldies. Meanwhile D4, next Tuesday through to D9, a week Sunday will be a period of varying degrees of below average Temperatures (current thinking 3c to 6c below normal nationwide) and some wintry interludes across a broad swathe of the UK.  :friends:

I'd be really happy with that chart! It perhaps is the wrong ECM day 10 chart to show the cold evolution (others have posted the more appropriate one). FI of course though. :)

Edited by Steve C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional
20 minutes ago, Steve C said:

I'd be really happy with that chart! It perhaps is the wrong ECM day 10 to show the cold evolution. FI of course though. :)

I'm not stressed over the whole next ten days if I'm honest once we get the weekend troughing to do one. Moreover, I think the increasing signal of a drier phase to arrive eventually will please most folk up North as well. Whatever happens, we can't do nowt about it and what will be, will be. This Winter is now taking us down an interesting path though, let's say that. :good:

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)
9 minutes ago, chris55 said:

ECM is actually a dam good op run, cold Tuesday, colder Wednesday, lots of snow for the heart of the UK Thursday, and a very cold and settled Friday, Saturday and Sunday with an easterly looming......

Obviously we have lost the pretty Greenland high but that's irrelevant in terms of the ECM 12z for now!!

Though that's just the op run on what is a very varied 12s suite overall.

Many more runs needed for a consensus!

No snow on the accumulation charts roughly south of Manchester and that isn't a lot either away from the Highlands. it is cold with ice days being shown for Scotland and N England, south of here temps range from 3c to 6c generally. 

Posted

C'mon guys .

Very cold ecm operational with the opportunity for some snow across parts of the south/midlands as the azores low moves in.   - http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Recm1441.html

I like that run very much, cold cold cold.

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and snow

I like the ECM that looks like it would set up to be a very good Scandi high, though it looks like it would be short lived with a 3-4 day cold spell then sink back in Europe, though it is still 240 hours out there will be alot of ups and downs however I still think the end of January and into February is when things will get interesting.

This to me has a very good shape about it, and would open the floodgates for that Easterly which id take any day.

ECM1-240.GIF?08-0

Id take a Scandi High with a raging Easterly instead of a dry cold Northerly, personally in my eyes they are more reliable for the sub zero temperatures and Snow, however this would depend on your location as well of coarse. I would take a Scandi high or Greeny, but the Greenland high is fighting a lost cause. 

• Like 2

Posted

ARRRRGGGGGHHHHH. :aggressive:

Now that's what I call a one liner. Mind you, it was quite informative as to how I feel and us moderators obviously aren't likely to see a quiet Friday night in here then. Remember this - AJ's post here not good enough for some.

One tip: direct mail is there for a reason and is a far better option for one to one discussions rather than clutter up the MODEL OUTPUT DISCUSSION thread. *clue is in title*

• Like 6

Posted

Well ecm introduces a 'cold high' after the low has passed and teases us with a pressure build to the NE thereafter.

Very volatile output today and if one has to be honest a pretty big step away from the suggested Greenland height rises- its a shame as that would have been great for us coldies, but alas, its not all doom and gloom.The torpedo is on its way :)

Posted
9 minutes ago, *Sub*Zero* said:

No snow on the accumulation charts roughly south of Manchester and that isn't a lot either away from the Highlands. it is cold with ice days being shown for Scotland and N England, south of here temps range from 3c to 6c generally. 

Hi sub.  Where can I find the ECM experimental accumulation chart thanks

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, freezes, bitterly cold and icy. Thunderstorms and heatwaves!

ECMWF usually handles cold spells better and has most of Europe in a deep freeze by day 10, wouldn't take much to shift that further west and put us cold lovers in paradise. #ThinkingPositive :D

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Well, it pains me to say but today has been a dreadful day for a prolonged period of cold. Obviously the ECM dangles another carrot, but frankly, anyone chasing that right at this moment has serious will power - I can't be bothered to chase another carrot, another garden path right now. There is no way of dressing it up unfortunately, what has gone from a potentially memorable cold spell has downgraded to a regular chilly spell, cold dry days and chilly nights. 

Something may push in from the East thereafter, but I wouldn't be confident putting a single penny on any of it, especially considering the GFS (the constant trend spotter)  didn't want much to do with it on the 12z. 

Once again, every single thing possible that could have gone wrong with the cold weather getting to the UK - has. I love everything GP has to say, trust him more than anybody on the site in terms of predicting how things can and might change with the atmosphere on this site - however, Steve's point wrt to shortwaves and patterns are spot on. You can have no Vortex and high pressure everywhere around the northern hemisphere, but if you have a shortwave diverting your fun, then it doesn't matter one single jot. 

Have a good one folks.

• Like 6