Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - 05/01/2016 18z onwards

Posted

There is a plethora of ECMWF (and other model) data available from the Icelandic met here, and other data here

ECM 0.5°: T850 anomalies, here are the last 10 days versus the next 10 days (MSLP solid lines, T850 dashed lines)

ecm05_nat_msl_10mean_t850_10mean_anom_20 ecm05_nat_msl_10mean_t850_10mean_anom_20

Similarly 500 hPa height and thickness anomalies (solid and dashed lines, respectively)

ecm05_nat_gh500_10mean_gh500-1000mmean_1 ecm05_nat_gh500_10mean_gh500-1000mmean_1

ECM Ensemble: Out to 15 days. Thickness (coloured), 500 hPa mean heights (solid lines), spread (dashed lines)

ec-ens_nat_gh500mean_gh500std_thk500mean

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Weather Boy said:

Great charts, thanks, but what are the dates?

Point of interest is gradual migration (and strengthening) of anomalous HP from central/western Canada towards Greenland.  The last one has it centred over Hudson Bay.  You would expect it to continue slowly east towards Greenland.

It does say initialized 08/12/2015 (bearing in mind Americans have date wrong way around), although it was posted only 11 hours ago. Info could have changed by now, who know's lol, but interesting none the less.

Posted
3 hours ago, radiohead said:

There has been an awakening...can you feel it?

gensnh-0-5-288_rmu5.png

Great screensaver.:laugh:

Cracking control run from the GEFS amongst all the other gravy this morning.:)

gensnh-0-1-300.thumb.png.2079e8da82f37ab

• Like 4

Posted
7 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Interesting thanks for posting that. I had to laugh though this is the same Ventrice who derided the MJO as being a false signal, said basically winter was over because changes to the strat would come too late. He went to great lengths to belittle a fellow twitter user who disagreed with his " MJO false signal" and is now eating humble pie! lol

Ah yes I remember that tweet. I think I even posted it in here lol

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the ECM De Bilt ensembles there is a decent cluster taking the wind direction round to the east/ne for several days.

http://www.weerplaza.nl/15daagseverwachting/?r=midden&type=eps_pluim

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, No Balls Like Snow Balls said:

It does say initialized 08/12/2015 (bearing in mind Americans have date wrong way around), although it was posted only 11 hours ago. Info could have changed by now, who know's lol, but interesting none the less.

Ah, yes, of course, silly me, I spotted that date but didn't twig about it being American.  Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
29 minutes ago, Yarmy said:

I quite like Mr Laminate Floor's chutzpah (when he's talking about weather anyway), but why are the North Atlantic SSTs key now, but not during the record mild of December? We had a persistent large Atlantic high during late summer, and a persistent Atlantic trough during December, yet the SST anomaly has been more or less the same throughout. On that evidence they make little difference, or at least are easily overridden by larger atmospheric patterns. 

According to this analysis, we didn't have a persistent large Atlantic high, more a Greenland high:

JunAug_SepNov_500mbSSTAs.PNG

Indeed there was an unusually deep/persistent 500 mb trough closely matched with the negative SST anomalies.

The second pair of charts shows how both the anomaly and trough weakened in August. So I believe it has played a considerable role in our weather in the past year.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
48 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Regarding the ECM being too flat this is quite ironic because the operational run is often accused of being overly amplified!

Only when it suits the mild rampers Nick

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
5 minutes ago, Singularity said:

According to this analysis, we didn't have a persistent large Atlantic high, more a Greenland high:

JunAug_SepNov_500mbSSTAs.PNG

Indeed there was an unusually deep/persistent 500 mb trough closely matched with the negative SST anomalies.

The second pair of charts shows how both the anomaly and trough weakened in August. So I believe it has played a considerable role in our weather in the past year.

Ok, data wins over dodgy memory as I recall a long-lasting fat mid-Atlantic high. However, according to the oceanographers there is a correlation between cooler summers (in the UK) and a negative AMO. The link between the AMO state and winter (in the UK) is less clear and likely statistically insignificant.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat and Snow

As I said last night, I expect a more prolonged and significant cold spell than most people see. The models this morning are starting to reflect that. Expect further upgrades in the coming days.

Get set...it's coming.

• Like 5

Posted
8 minutes ago, Barry95 said:

As I said last night, I expect a more prolonged and significant cold spell than most people see. The models this morning are starting to reflect that. Expect further upgrades in the coming days.

Get set...it's coming.

Great Charts this morning! A Cold spell is certainly on the way how cold and for how long! who knows but lets just enjoy it! Us coldies have been waiting a long time for it

Where is FROSTY at a time like this!!! :yahoo::yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Whilst a west based -NAO is a risk at times (guidance suggests more long term trend eastwards - or centrally based to be more accurate), this does open the door for moisture to come into the SW approaches. The upstream amplification coming will help to correct any trend for too much west based NAO stuff I think.

West based but cold due to Scandi troughing and a decent STJ - gradually becoming more Central/East based - if that plays out,  it's actually hard to think of a better pattern for a sustained cold spell.

Edited by beng
  • Like 1

Posted

Re any trend to west based -NAO

I did note this looking at the the anomolys this morning

however, with low heights over Europe, we should be ok to stay cold whether the moisture come from the n or s 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
14 minutes ago, Glacier Point said:

Wholly agree with this assessment. With a +AO regime, this becomes horribly warm as per November and December. With a -AO, suddenly things begin to look a lot different. What was your foe now becomes your friend.

Very good agreement between EC EPS, GEM Ensembles and GEFS around day 10 for increased rate of sub-tropical flow into the Atlantic. Further upstream amplifications already likely, which will all work to cold pattern's advantage. Definite signal for persistence of the cold. Whilst a west based -NAO is a risk at times (guidance suggests more long term trend eastwards - or centrally based to be more accurate), this does open the door for moisture to come into the SW approaches. The upstream amplification coming will help to correct any trend for too much west based NAO stuff I think.

Meantime, total angular momentum off the scale.

aam.thumb.jpg.c25c7faaa5cc47619930d65347

Your highlighted statement calls to mind a persistent mid-Atlantic trough propping up the blocking to our NW as it did during July's (extremely) -ve AO period, as a consequence of the jet being pushed so much further south. I like what I'm seeing there :D

The idea that we may see lows coming up from under the block and bringing some nervous times with rain/snow boundaries was something I mused over about a week ago, again with respect to the possible effect of the 'Cold Pool'. Very glad to see that you are thinking along similar lines GP :good:

...and just look at the AAM go! I noticed GEFS still managed to slightly underestimate it even at just 1 day's range yesterday, and the longer-term guidance is reducing the drop-off slowly but surely. What a time to be following the model output!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
11 minutes ago, Barry95 said:

Get set...it's coming.

Interested to know What you base your forecast on Barry?

• Like 6

Posted

Any thoughts on the impact of very cold temps on saturated ground ,  assume it will freeze like blocks of ice a thaw would be slow and when it does warm and rain again flooding will be even worse as any water will just run off .

Posted

Latest Daytime max temp forecast for London from Norwegian Met (they use ECMWF for their forecasts) www.yr.no 

Thurs 7th, 9c

Friday 8th, 9c

Sat 9th, 9c

Sun 10th, 7c

Mon 11th, 5c

Tues 12th, 1c

Weds 13th, 0c

Thurs 14th, 0c

Fri 15th,  1c

Cold enough for snow from early next week, if there is any precip about.

Proceed with caution though as I believe ECM temp forecast are not entirely accurate, but defo looking like turning much much colder.

Edited by No Balls Like Snow Balls
  • Like 5

Posted

Well what an interesting set of charts is developing.  The duration of the upcoming cold spell seems to hinge on developments over the Tropic of Cancer! Watch how models develop a very low latitude low over the Bahamas in the next 24-48h and move this northeast over the next week. Where this ends up is crucial to where the Atlantic High develops. If this Low gets to the Azores this will allow a decent ridge to anchor north to Greenland and not slip south.   On the other hand the T+240 ECM keeps the low far west possibly resulting in some decent northwards warm advection over the Atlantic and causing a good ridge north to Iceland/Greenland and block eastward flow south of those islands. On yet the other hand the whole development of this low latitude low may fizzle and we get back to a boring westerly breaking through again. Incidentally, I for one am 100% convinced our record breaking December was caused by 'global warming' with that very persistent warm block out of Africa and across Europe for the whole month. Is this forecast Tropical low also due to 'global warming' or an El Nino feature?

• Like 2