Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South East and East Anglia weather discussion/Chat - A new year

Captain Shortwave

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Yep agree best chance since spring 2013 - which isn't saying a lot :) - I'm always a bit sceptical about charts as you've shown 4/5 days or so away as we know quite a bit can change for the better or worse and as the models have slowly been 'clambering' away from any significant cold spell now for the last couple of days there's a possibility they could downgrade even further.

Fingers crossed some of us see some white stuff at least falling...if not some decent chilly days (which so far I haven't recorded once this winter) and some air frosts will  surfice!

Edited by Froze were the Days
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BEASTERLYS

Been reading in the mods for several days now and following the ops 4 times a day.....The only thing i can say for sure is .....like the weather there very unpredictable and change every other day to the point that i now have a migrane and need prozac !!!!...

Just getting the cold here seems so hard and all they seem to talk about is when it will end...  wth no detail thats reliable inbetween..  

The more i read and hope  , the more it seems like a lottery especially when it comes to actual lying snow...

But as we on here know it does sometimes happen ( 82,85,87,91,95,09,10,11,13.. to mention a few.....).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Really nice bright day here today. Makes a change.

Got the car washed & managed to have a run in sunshine for once. 

Bit of heavyish rain to pass by overnight but nothing unusual or different to what we've experienced since November! I'll be asleep anyway so will go by unnoticed! 

Roll on the drier colder weather next week... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Storms

So at the moment are we going for a colder week with a chance of some of that wet snow that wont settle on Thursday and then turning milder next week? or something a little more exciting :)

Eyes down on the radar tonight 

Valid from 21:00 on Sunday until 09:00 on Monday
Bands of heavy showers will affect parts of southern Britain throughout Sunday and Sunday night, some places affected more than others. The main focus continues to be on the period later this evening, overnight and at first on Monday morning, before the heaviest showers clear the eastern edge of the warning area, into the North Sea. The warning has been updated to bring the start time slightly forward, and to extend the area west across much of Dorset, as well as further north across central parts of southern England. Whilst some areas will miss the heaviest rain, given the saturated ground, please be aware of the potential for surface water flooding causing localised disruption to travel.

Chief Forecaster's assessment
A fairly organised band of heavy showers and the odd thunderstorm, looks like feeding along the English Channel later on Sunday, and then increasingly into parts of southern England as the flow backs more southerly overnight and at first on Monday. 5-10 mm may fall within an hour and perhaps 20-30 mm through the period in a few spots. The focus has shifted a little westwards, and it's not impossible that a further update might be needed later on Sunday or overnight.

Posted

looks  like  we  could  have an interesting evening  , bbc weather is  saying  could  be a  lot of surface water  about  soon, plus  the people  in Kent  /southend  area should  have a  heads  up  very nasty ;line of heavy  rain    which could drop  a lot of rain  in a short  time

Posted
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
  • Location: Chelsfield, Orpington (Kent / SE London) - 115m ASL
6 minutes ago, tinybill said:

looks  like  we  could  have an interesting evening  , bbc weather is  saying  could  be a  lot of surface water  about  soon, plus  the people  in Kent  /southend  area should  have a  heads  up  very nasty ;line of heavy  rain    which could drop  a lot of rain  in a short  time

Rain not too intense yet (in fact, it's just stopped and it's getting slightly brighter) but we've had two huge rumbles of thunder in the last 10 mins and it's really dark - unusual for this time of year. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

It has been a fine day with sunny spells with areas of high cloud.

Looks like there is a lot of convective activity south of London, good luck to those down there with respect to seeing some thunder.

Posted
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and storms
  • Location: Hayward’s Heath - home, Brighton/East Grinstead - work.

Another hailstorm here now. I have never seen the ground so saturated from the rain. We desperately need that high pressure break!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Spells or thunderstorms.
35 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Oh my..

DSC_0055.JPG

I saw exactly the same bit. The anvil is absolutely enourmous, and the mammatus amazing too. And now the sun is setting, parts of it are glowing orange! Amazing! Unfortunately we have missed out on the real action here though. Perhaps the bognor regis webcam is worth taking a look at...

Edited by Rain123

15 minutes ago, Rain123 said:

I saw exactly the same bit. The anvil is absolutely enourmous, and the mammatus amazing too. And now the sun is setting, parts of it are glowing orange! Amazing! Unfortunately we have missed out on the real action here though. Perhaps the bognor regis webcam is worth taking a look at...

Read met warnings later tonight looks interesting 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun

Post after post over on MOD thread of whether GFS is correct over the euros..

Folk wishing Euros are correct - it's like reading the same post over and over again but from a different member name!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

Some monstrous showers here this afternoon! A couple of distant rumbles, hail, mammatus and even some sleet in the band that recently pushed through :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Humid Continental Climate (Dfa / Dfb)

I am watching the Vikings Vs Seahawks game in the US and they are playing in -14c with a feels like temperature of -31c!!! woah!! Lets see what this week has in store for us, no where near those temperatures but I would love to see some snow though.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy and thundery.
52 minutes ago, Mesoscale said:

I am watching the Vikings Vs Seahawks game in the US and they are playing in -14c with a feels like temperature of -31c!!! woah!! Lets see what this week has in store for us, no where near those temperatures but I would love to see some snow though.  

watching the Same game. That is serious cold.  

Posted

I spent 4 hours cleaning/de weeding/de mossing driveway today and just as I was about to sweep the lot it poured down around 3:30 grrrr. Wasnt easy in the rain but done now phew.

I'm watching the same game too....having felt this temp first hand many times that is not going to be nice! brrrrr