Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussions pm 31/12/15

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

I had the block nearby but not influencing us enough for cold.  But I'm pleasantly surprised by the output as it is looking close enough to be of interest.  Going back to what GP said about mjo, gwo, Aam, glaam or vietnaam, very interesting re dates around end of Jan.....I'm very keen on Stewart's thoughts especially with northerly blast and heights to W/NW and trough to Scandinavia.  Yep it's in my thoughts, and potential of some severity to.

back here and now, all I see currently is interesting model watching and chances of cold intrusion remain nicely in tact.   

BFTP

below are some of my thoughts in seasonal thread...so I was keen on GPs update...

Towards very end of month entering into Feb is when I'm looking for change to an assault from the North.  Short and sweet but almost as we were in a way.  I hope this reverse psychology of mild to very mild brings a bitter cold blast to really mess it up

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 5

Posted

ECM 12z short ensembles have switched quite notably to a 75% milder solution for Holland in the 3-7 day range as opposed to a 50% split previously!

Not a nice trend..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Just a thought, but sometimes when we have very cold air in the East the models underestimate how tough it can be to shift the block out of the way.  We could even end up with some sort of stalling front around about that crucial T168 period struggling against the cold block in the East with the Atlantic being kept at bay. This would produce heavy snow where the front stalls and sometimes the cold air wins and pushes the front back West. Not seen that sort of an event for quite some time now.

Happy New year everyone and keep up the good work with all the great posts.:drunk-emoji:

Edited by snowray
  • Like 3

Posted

I have just viewed the  extended ECM ensembles for de-bilt.. Average I would say throughout with about 95% showing a typical sine wave pattern and temputure averaging at mid to high single digits..

shocking really..as they look rock solid.. Never seen Such a tight pack 

Edited by TSNWK

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Just caught up on the 12z modelling.....well here's your GLOSEA seasonal modelling in the form of a GFS chart.....

h500slp.png2cat_20151201_mslp_months24_global_deter

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Am all for the close up stuff, but this is a thing of sheer wonder.

If anyone can explain why we have this block beyond the limited 15 days since 1974 that reconcile the MJO imprint on the atmosphere in Nino episodes then am all ears.

I get the trough disruption is of great interest but would like to counter that this anomaly appearing only 15 days out of a possible 11,315 is equally impressive.

gfsnh-0-114.png

• Like 5

Posted
14 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Am all for the close up stuff, but this is a thing of sheer wonder.

If anyone can explain why we have this block beyond the limited 15 days since 1974 that reconcile the MJO imprint on the atmosphere in Nino episodes then am all ears.

I get the trough disruption is of great interest but would like to counter that this anomaly appearing only 15 days out of a possible 11,315 is equally impressive.

gfsnh-0-114.png

That chart really looks the business synoptically...... Such a shame it fails to deliver and all goes a little afterwards..

• Like 1

Posted

well its new years eve. i haven't had a chance to analyze the output tonight but has the 'steve murr easterly' shown its hand yet?

from a realistic point of view obviously, not a 'snow goggles' one...

Posted
1 minute ago, bobbydog said:

well its new years eve. i haven't had a chance to analyze the output tonight but has the 'steve murr easterly' shown its hand yet?

from a realistic point of view obviously, not a 'snow goggles' one...

Not really.. It was a brave call from Steve.. But an outside shot and the odds have lengthened further after this evenings ECM ensembles and the current 18z GFS..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic storms, severe gales, blowing snow and frost :)

18z gone off on one, windy/stormy & wet = Potential for flooding issues to carry on with little let up... :help:

Posted
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Not really.. It was a brave call from Steve.. But an outside shot and the odds have lengthened further after this evenings ECM ensembles and the current 18z GFS..

Let's wait for 24 hours after his post

Posted
1 minute ago, Swave Snow said:

Let's.. But make no mistakes the odds have lengthened considerably after those ECM ensembles.. Will be a unprecedented flip from tonight's ECm ensembles if Steve M call is going to come in.. They be the facts.. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Big changes on this run from the off virtually, that small ridge that was developing to our North towards Iceland at T96 has gone. Chalk and cheese compared the the 12z runs. One for the bin maybe, after all if she aint been down the pub tonight, come on 18z...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
1 minute ago, lorenzo said:

Sorry, if I am missing something here, don't understand the point you are trying to make- genuinely not sure, am not being a $%*& here before folks pounce on this..As far as creating a massive trop. impact on the ridiculous uber cold vortex - I think this is as significant as it gets. Just a pity there is a disconnect further up in the stratosphere.

My point is that this block is as rare as it gets in the current synoptic set up - simply put - it has no right to be there.. it is a freakish occurrence that neither any MJO phase alone, nor addition via any form of Barents - Kara Amplification will explain. Sorry again to be harsh, it's easily dismissed I supposed in the arena of will it won't it easterly, but I think it's important to illustrate where we have a true atmospheric anomaly. Indeed rarity.

All eyes continue on the tropics, would refer folks back to @Glacier Point post earlier today outlining 2 important things - 

1 where the MJO really does it's dance and gives us some keen insight on the the next 3 weeks.

2 where the dark art of GWO or Glaam inform the probability of the very patterns we are looking closely occurring.

It's a chicken and egg thing I suppose, you cannot have synoptics that remove an atmospheric mode giving a record December without a hemispheric pattern change, subsequently you cannot have model variety without various inflections of this change.

Am going to pick 144 as reality step in current evolution - divergence from here.

Look forward to the first runs of 2016. What a January we have ahead, especially with output as knife edge as today paving the way.

Onwards and Upwards !

gfsnh-0-144.thumb.png.b7d7cc6e57e424f380

gfsnh-0-144.png

Yes, this is very much Unknown territory,  I've been model watching for 5 years and not seen a setup like it. Bizzare yet I can't wait to see the outcome. I shall sit in my corner and read the input of the experienced posters digest what "could" happen. At least it ain't boring 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

I think it's more the realistic view? The ensembles never veered to agreement on a cold shot, it was always odd runs showing it, whereas the bulk showed what we're going to end up with - chilly cyclonic conditions with lots of wind and more rain. The stuff of nightmares if truth be told! Hopefully this colder air should hold less moisture, and if we're lucky we can avoid scenes like we've seen his last month in the north.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, mb018538 said:

I think it's more the realistic view? The ensembles never veered to agreement on a cold shot, it was always odd runs showing it, whereas the bulk showed what we're going to end up with - chilly cyclonic conditions with lots of wind and more rain. The stuff of nightmares if truth be told! Hopefully this colder air should hold less moisture, and if we're lucky we can avoid scenes like we've seen his last month in the north.

Not really, it took a day for the ensembles to catch up, which is normal. The op will lead the ensembles not the other way round in my experience, so tomorrow I'll expect more of the same from the ensembles, but come the evening it could be a different story. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

GFS 18z illustrates how close we are to some really cold weather......instead of the one run that gives us unwarranted optimism, it is going to be the one run that makes us think....meh!  Instead of the wildly optimistic happy mood as it comes back from the pub, it's drunk itself into a miserable depression  (actually several of them!).

I think of this run as concrete evidence that the models have flipped!  :)   instead of future runs taking away from what the pub run gave us, they will replace and replenish what the pub run is attempting to take away from us!

Happy New Year all :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Quite a lurch away from colder solutions on ECM 12z London ensembles and the cluster of colder options in FI has also thinned out though still a few going colder toward mid month.

Latest 15 days ensemble forecast temperature for London

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

Quite a lurch away from colder solutions on ECM 12z London ensembles and the cluster of colder options in FI has also disappeared though still a few going colder toward mid month.

Was certainly on the warm side towards the end though 

Posted
1 minute ago, Mucka said:

Quite a lurch away from colder solutions on ECM 12z London ensembles and the cluster of colder options in FI has also disappeared though still a few going colder toward mid month.

Yes Mucka..those ensembles were a bit of kick in the teeth..