Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 1st December onwards

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
14 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Yes - 2 threads here, Knocker comparing the inter run GEFS, am looking at the W2 impacts and potential for Wave Activity Flux

We need a flux capacitor to get us out of this very mild mushy pattern. :santa-emoji:

fc_complete01.jpg

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters
1 minute ago, January Snowstorm said:

Ecm 192 hrs is good!

Surely a decent undercut here.

Raging easterly by 240hrs?

Unlikely the block is too far east. If this was last year with the considerably weaker vortex we would probably be play ball but this year we have a monster that going to need some real manpower to drive it down.

• Like 2

Posted

T216ECH1-216.GIF?26-0

While a mess over scandi area lower pressure is finally sinking in europe with the jet on a southerly track.

Edited by SN0WM4N

Posted

Not a bad ECM run, block holds on, lots of cold air to the east. A full blown easterly might not be on the cards yet but frontal snow if trough disruption is favourable isn't out of the question for the UK.

I should add in most cases where things have gone wrong its the sinking Scandi high that's been the issue however we don't see the models wanting to do this. If the block holds we might get a few chances.

Edited by nick sussex
  • Like 7

Posted
18 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Yes - 2 threads here, Knocker comparing the inter run GEFS, am looking at the W2 impacts and potential for Wave Activity Flux, more so having seen the Polar Cap Temp forecast just posted in the strat. thread. Sorry, to confuse. Simply put, the projecting WAA and trop. blocks are of interest in taking down the vortex. The enhanced blocking outlook via the mean chart illustrated earlier timing nicely with the fade out of the vortex intensification period. 

Cheers Lorenzo I hadn't realised you had posted and I appreciate this is of interest vis the vortex. Apparently similar WAA occurred in 97/98 but I know not what  the outcome was.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, Cold & Snowy

A fantastic ECM if you love snow in my opinion. An okay ECM if you prefer prolonged cold. A couple of snow events (marginal on low ground) according to that run. 

• Like 2

Posted

Nice end to the run heights backing west and the P/V over greenland considerably weaker with troughs sliding SE keeping the block up. More realistic that those easterlies by day 10.

Edited by SN0WM4N
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Richard Taylor said:

Fit it immediately to the De Lorean & take us back to 1962/3! :D

lol. I was going to enlist a TARDIS!:reindeer-emoji:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summer, Snowy winter and thunderstorms all year round!

Model discussion please folks

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms

A lot of scatter after the new year, OP looks to be one of the warmer members, plenty taking a nosedive to cold so will be interesting to see what the 18z shows. Still all to play for snow-wise but certainly not as straightforward as we would like.

graphe3_1000_287_9___.thumb.gif.c269aaca

Posted
21 minutes ago, knocker said:

Now this looks remarkably like the GEFS anomaly chart allowing for some poetic license.

ecmwf_z500a_nhem_11.thumb.png.df70517a57

Very unusual to have a low pressure system over the Cape verde at this time of the year.

Posted

That's as much as can hope for from the ECM. Heights to the NE and heights lowered through central Europe by T168. The place where the Atlantic and the European cold pool collide, well that's a real lottery this far out. Somewhere between tonight's GFS and ECM could be very interesting after T168

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
3 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

You can see from Phil's post that we don't need the PV obliterated to get cold. I think sometimes theres too much emphasis on only thinking cold is possible if the PV is blown to pieces. A raging PV is fine as long as its far enough away and orientated in a favourable manner.

Absolutely Nick.

How could i have forgotten 1987 in my previous post.

archivesnh-1987-1-10-12-0.thumb.png.5bd5

Note again the slither of heights building into the pole from the Azores area,everything starts further west.The deep cold already has a start over E.Europe.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
24 minutes ago, phil nw. said:

Absolutely Nick.

How could i have forgotten 1987 in my previous post.

archivesnh-1987-1-10-12-0.thumb.png.5bd5

Note again the slither of heights building into the pole from the Azores area,everything starts further west.The deep cold already has a start over E.Europe.

I  was in Germany then and can confirm extreme cold during the day and frost bite an issue.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms

Even the JMA picking something up now. Yesterday's 12z for next Sunday...

J204-21.GIF?25-0J216-21.GIF?25-0

Today's 12z for next Sunday...

J180-21.GIF?26-12J192-21.GIF?26-12

Plenty of rain but differences a plenty over Scandi...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Good Boxing Day everyone! No one can say that the outlook is boring! The Atlantic onslaught continues, with concern during the middle of next week with a major storm system , perhaps another one for New Year and then some teasing synoptics for real Winter to begin at the start of the New Year. Welcome to the Uk Weather,,,,!

tenby.png

freezing.gif

tenbyx.png

tenbyxx.png

• Like 2

Posted

Interesting evolution from tonight's ecm anomalies. At T120 a hugely amplified pattern with strong ridging north through Finland and the trough to the west digging way south giving a strong SW flow over the UK and some unpleasant weather. The vortex doing a little fandago over N. Canada. But by T240 all has changed. The ridge to east has morphed into an HP cell way east over Russia and the trough to the west has realigned and is now negatively tilted through the North Sea into eastern Europe. This veers the flow westerly but we are looking at fairly unsettled weather albeit not quite so wet and windy.

Looking ahead to T360 there is a shallow trough Greenland and another trough to the east running south from the Baltic south to Turkey so still westerly flow over the UK. THe 200mb chart has the main jet running into the UK and down the trough and no indication of upper blocking. In fact there is no suggestion at all of blocking developing to the E/NE

ecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_6.thumb.png.2ccc35fecmwf-ens_z500a_nhem_11.thumb.png.f2c44f

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted

just looked hoping to see some rest from this horrible weather from now to deep into fantasy world   i just cant see any letup   to the flooding hitting  the  u.k. at the  moment

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

Posted
Just now, tinybill said:

just looked hoping to see some rest from this horrible weather from now to deep into fantasy world   i just cant see any letup   to the flooding hitting  the  u.k. at the  moment

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=6

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_cartes.php?mode=2&ech=204

I'm quite worried about a battleground setup going the wrong way, with slow moving or stalled lows dumping rain while pushing up against a block. It's something I've seen in FI on some of the models recently and I'm really hoping it doesn't happen....