Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Looking good for the weekend weatherwise,low temps mean low pollen! New record for myself,no sign of that dreaded hayfever yet,may it long continue. Very useable conditions.

• Like 2

Posted

it seems as though we have just come out of (what felt like) a very long winter, yet we're actually half way through spring already!

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, markyo said:

Looking good for the weekend weatherwise,low temps mean low pollen! New record for myself,no sign of that dreaded hayfever yet,may it long continue. Very useable conditions.

The only positive haha, i am a chronic hayfever sufferer and the spring/summer months are often a constant assault on my sinuses.

However i would be happy to dope up on antihistamenes for some warmth. It's bog-standard Autumn fayre here today.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

Looking like an improving picture from Sunday through to Thursday with the hint of something very warm getting close to southern England. Hopefully after that we will see everything shift eastwards and the cold northerly will get shunted out of the way, or at least only last a few days before milder Atlantic air pushes in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
23 hours ago, Milhouse said:

Looking like an improving picture from Sunday through to Thursday with the hint of something very warm getting close to southern England. Hopefully after that we will see everything shift eastwards and the cold northerly will get shunted out of the way, or at least only last a few days before milder Atlantic air pushes in.

agree with that as it'll be towards end of April, hard enough nowadays to get snow off northerlies at low levels south in January

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Greenland1080 said:

Looking at falling snow again next weekend an could be more potent......my kind of April:cold:

my kind of April, if i lived 200m higher, i'd rather it slides east and leaves us under HP, opposite to what I'd want in winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Stunning morning,gin clear sky,2c perfect for that sunday walk. Why can't all sundays be like this? And still no hay fever so double bonus!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Whilst I would like to see a significant warm up in conditions, I would rather see this cold blast with deep instability hit the UK as opposed to being watered down and moved eastwards as a cool stable northerly will end up with a lot of cloud during the day (whilst remaining dry) with single figure maxima, so cold and dull. Not a palatable option for me personally. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
8 minutes ago, Captain Shortwave said:

Whilst I would like to see a significant warm up in conditions, I would rather see this cold blast with deep instability hit the UK as opposed to being watered down and moved eastwards as a cool stable northerly will end up with a lot of cloud during the day (whilst remaining dry) with single figure maxima, so cold and dull. Not a palatable option for me personally. 

I'd also rather be seeing warm southerlies now than cold northerlies. If the northerly is sunny with some intense showers then fine, grey gloom absolutely not. Straight northerlies are usually good for much of England away from coasts where sunshine is concerned, hopefully that'll be the case this time!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

The northerly being shown, in terms of wintry weather, looks like a one-day wonder to me. After that, the uppers get watered down and things become slack. So all in all, I predict one or two cold days, then a generally cool fresh spell of weather with cold nights and convective possibilities during the day.

• Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, MP-R said:

The northerly being shown, in terms of wintry weather, looks like a one-day wonder to me. After that, the uppers get watered down and things become slack. So all in all, I predict one or two cold days, then a generally cool fresh spell of weather with cold nights and convective possibilities during the day.

Which day?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes, hot and sunny with thunderstorms

I look back in time and see quite a few examples of cold northerlies in Spring replaced by a warm spell with low pressure transferring to the west of the UK drawing up some nice warmth. Heres hoping it will happen this time too. Not a bad  week to come but next weekend looks totally out of place in late April.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Which day?

On the previous GFS run I would have said the 25th, now I would say the 24th i.e. the day when the -5C isotherm is covering the UK with winds actually from the north.

Doesn't take long after that for troughs to form in the flow, back the flow west, and water down the uppers. No bad thing of course, would just mean a more typical April showers regime ensues.

Posted
On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 8:32 AM, bobbydog said:

it seems as though we have just come out of (what felt like) a very long winter, yet we're actually half way through spring already!

Winter is still getting colder since December,thats april sorted then.:D

Edited by Snowyowl9
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Note that the Barents Sea/Svalbard area of the Arctic is seeing comparable temperatures to those of January 2016, with a marked drop in the extent of the warm anomalies, and so some model runs have the -5C 850hPa line getting across the whole of the British Isles.  There is potential for some notably widespread snow showers for late-April, though as others have suggested, probably just for one or two days before turning less cold, and maybe with some heavy slow-moving showers and thunder, rather like 6-15 April 2008.  As the main blast is a week away, though, there is still time for it to be watered down.  I think the main trough will retrogress westwards and bring in warmer south-westerlies as we head into May.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted

Appears to be a lot of talk of convection and thunder now NWP is modeling cold temperatures at 850mb.  Strange. Wasn't as much talk of the thunderstorms that occured last week when 850mb temperatures were above 0C.  I see this misunderstanding of what's relevant for deep convection and thunderstorms persists on the forum, and will likely persist forever. The mid-upper level profile seems to be irrelevant. And I'm getting the sense that it's assumed only a cold low level flow from the north can bring thunder, even though it's a deep sourced southerly that's brings the best thunderstorm setups (more lightning, more hail, more severe weather).  

Most may prefer cold weather with snow - that's fine. Though the misunderstandings surrounding convective weather should still be cleared up.

Edited by weather09
  • Like 2

Posted

A cold northerly to finish April before the May return of the westerlies in FI - almost a carbon copy of last year.

Posted

These would be dreamy charts for mid winter if it's cold and wintry showers you're after.so a cold nxt 10 days or so looks in the offing(after the next couple of days).

Really cheeses me off that these synoptics show their hand now and the last few summers and winters have been the opposite of what I look for in the respective seasons.

Lets hope late spring and summer draw plumes galore,hot sunshine and severe thunderstorms. followed by a cold and snowy winter lol.

Then again........

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, snow and more snow

so there is a potent cold snap coming up in the next week or so, with the chance of snow falling (and accumulating) quite widely in the UK.  why the hell didn't this happen during the actual winter months rather than so late when it actually in something no one wants now?  Typical British weather.  It never does what you want when you want it.  I love snow but even I don't want to see it this late in the season.  I want the warmth now.  Winter had its chance and blew it big time this year.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Cold or cool is OK at any time of the year by me :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
48 minutes ago, snow freak said:

so there is a potent cold snap coming up in the next week or so, with the chance of snow falling (and accumulating) quite widely in the UK.  why the hell didn't this happen during the actual winter months rather than so late when it actually in something no one wants now?  Typical British weather.  It never does what you want when you want it.  I love snow but even I don't want to see it this late in the season.  I want the warmth now.  Winter had its chance and blew it big time this year.

Winter Wonderland Charts for Blighty, about 3 months too late! Its the final insult and kick up the ar@e for the many lovers of a expectant cold winter that in the end was a relentless mild winter in much of Europe, but the present synoptics are more likely in Springtime than Winter in your neck of the woods. Think I will wait a few weeks before I make the venture to 53 degrees North and beyond. Do not like cold at this time of the year, a couple of weeks in Spain beckons !

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

Winter Wonderland Charts for Blighty, about 3 months too late! Its the final insult and kick up the ar@e for the many lovers of a expectant cold winter that in the end was a relentless mild winter in much of Europe, but the present synoptics are more likely in Springtime than Winter in your neck of the woods. Think I will wait a few weeks before I make the venture to 53 degrees North and beyond. Do not like cold at this time of the year, a couple of weeks in Spain beckons !

C

Posted
1 hour ago, carinthian said:

C

The problem is that you can't take the temps at face value. We've already had quite a number of lovely days that may only say 14-16 in the data but in the glorious sunshine feels wonderful. Today is such a day. There really hasn't been much "cold" to speak of. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
14 minutes ago, March said:

The problem is that you can't take the temps at face value. We've already had quite a number of lovely days that may only say 14-16 in the data but in the glorious sunshine feels wonderful. Today is such a day. There really hasn't been much "cold" to speak of. 

Exactly, the strengthening sun means it feels very pleasant out. Plus quite a large chunk of Europe will be chilly, not just us. Benelux look like being battered by gales. Could be worse for Blighty. Only downside is the forecast frosts, could do without those now.