Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
2 hours ago, knocker said:

Isn't typical. Scotland getting all the warm sunny weather again.

Think they deserve it after some of the hideous Springs and Summers they've endured in recent years!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

So much better weather today for working,fresher and really easy to get on with things. Don't get me wrong a shocking day in many areas if your lucky enough not to be working,but working in warm to hot temps in a car is no fun. Hoping to be honest that this cool spell is not a sign of the up coming summer,we need the  warmth and settled weather in the up coming months for all the normal people to enjoy!! Every season should be defined and this has proved so ni on impossible for way to long due to our total screwing up of our incredible planet. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Today is the 10th day since we last had rain in Darlington the ground is getting very dry now

Posted
On 10 May 2016 at 19:25, markyo said:

So much better weather today for working,fresher and really easy to get on with things. Don't get me wrong a shocking day in many areas if your lucky enough not to be working,but working in warm to hot temps in a car is no fun. Hoping to be honest that this cool spell is not a sign of the up coming summer,we need the  warmth and settled weather in the up coming months for all the normal people to enjoy!! Every season should be defined and this has proved so ni on impossible for way to long due to our total screwing up of our incredible planet. 

The 'cool spell' is looking like more of a blip, it should only last through the weekend until early next week. There's good consensus after that for temperatures to rise - possibly above average in the South and weather to become more settled again :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Quite stark differences during this week. A lovely day

looks like at the end signs of the change, could see that 'change' cloud to my NW

Posted

What a fantastic morning,clear skies,back garden trees look like they've had a good snow fall with the amount of blossom on them,looking stunning(between the hayfever sneezing!). Would have to say probably a perfect spring day.

• Like 2

Yes a beautiful fresh day with excellent air quality, gone is that horrid clammy very poor quality air from the continent, some much needed rainfall for central areas in the week ahead with thankfully no sign of that unhealthy air, GFS very accurate with its temp predictions today, early teens maxs for many, lovely. :D

• Like 5

Posted

Regardless of the models presenting an unsettled spell of weather from the middle to end of next week, it looks like high pressure will return for late May early June. I'd say we have much better synoptics entering June and the Summer season than we did last year :)

Posted
10 minutes ago, wishingforsnow said:

Regardless of the models presenting an unsettled spell of weather from the middle to end of next week, it looks like high pressure will return for late May early June. I'd say we have much better synoptics entering June and the Summer season than we did last year :)

That would depend on which model you're looking at. ECM ensembles trending to something very average into days 8-15; GEFS, on the other hand....

But after seeing the GEFS 12z update the other day showing a sustained high pressure for 2 weeks solid, only to capitulate on the next update, I know where i'll be placing my money.

• Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, draztik said:

That would depend on which model you're looking at. ECM ensembles trending to something very average into days 8-15; GEFS, on the other hand....

But after seeing the GEFS 12z update the other day showing a sustained high pressure for 2 weeks solid, only to capitulate on the next update, I know where i'll be placing my money.

GEFS change frequently depending on unexpected changes in weather patterns in the atmosphere. We've seen this before where models have been slow to pick up on a previously unforecasted spell of weather deviating from the previous output however the NOAA anomalies and ECM runs did show a slightly more unsettled period for next week/low pressure building in the Atlantic a but there was a lot of uncertainty (and still is) up until yesterday as to if and how much it would affect the UK.

There is still uncertainty as to the impact of this low pressure next week - UKMO has reduced the impact with something more anticyclonic whilst GFS has low pressure at full force. Judging by the supposed recent 'Northerly' modelled which a week ago was supposed to bring back cooler single digit and freezing temperatures to the UK this weekend, I doubt the impact of the low pressure will be as bad as some models are currently making out. The end of the runs for next week do show High Pressure and warmer temperatures edging in again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Eugene said:

Yes a beautiful fresh day with excellent air quality, gone is that horrid clammy very poor quality air from the continent, some much needed rainfall for central areas in the week ahead with thankfully no sign of that unhealthy air, GFS very accurate with its temp predictions today, early teens maxs for many, lovely. :D

Lol, you really are detached from reality. On Thursday, I saw droves of people outside enjoying the weather - going for bike rides, long walks, playing football with their children, or just lounging around soaking up the warm sunshine. Today, there is nothing of the sort - I could walk outside now and there'd be half the number of people compared to this time last week when it was sunny and in the low 20s. With a temp of only 12C at 2pm in May, the weather is anything but 'nice', and the vast majority of people would agree. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted

For info. only the woodshed has had fresh coat of Ronseal and some damp proofing ready for the upcoming mild and wet winter

Edited by knocker
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, wishingforsnow said:

There is still uncertainty as to the impact of this low pressure next week - UKMO has reduced the impact with something more anticyclonic 

So if one model out of 6 (if you include the ensembles) shows a different outlook it's deemed uncertain? id call it an outlier, at best. 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, draztik said:

So if one model out of 6 (if you include the ensembles) shows a different outlook it's deemed uncertain? id call it an outlier, at best. 

You still never know with an outlier, especially taking into account weather for 7-10 days out which is verging on FI. Sometimes an outlier has become more accurate than the majority of the model output, like the failed 'Easterly' of early 2006/2007 where all models apart from the GFS were backing the prospect of an Easterly arriving over the UK and it turned out the GFS output was the most accurate as it didn't happen. 

Posted
1 hour ago, wishingforsnow said:

You still never know with an outlier, especially taking into account weather for 7-10 days out which is verging on FI. Sometimes an outlier has become more accurate than the majority of the model output, like the failed 'Easterly' of early 2006/2007 where all models apart from the GFS were backing the prospect of an Easterly arriving over the UK and it turned out the GFS output was the most accurate as it didn't happen. 

Yes, but we're not talking about days 7-10; the UKMO only shows us out to T144. The 12z updates later should enlighten us, a little. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
3 hours ago, cheese said:

Lol, you really are detached from reality. On Thursday, I saw droves of people outside enjoying the weather - going for bike rides, long walks, playing football with their children, or just lounging around soaking up the warm sunshine. Today, there is nothing of the sort - I could walk outside now and there'd be half the number of people compared to this time last week when it was sunny and in the low 20s. With a temp of only 12C at 2pm in May, the weather is anything but 'nice', and the vast majority of people would agree. 

I can't believe you say this. It's beautiful out there! Blue skies, fluffy white clouds gently rolling over, the birds are singing, it's a lovely Spring day. For me it's perfect, the sunshine still feels warm on the skin but the temperatures aren't too high and the air isn't at all muggy, so very usable weather that doesn't make you very tired and very sweaty very quickly.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I can't believe you say this. It's beautiful out there! Blue skies, fluffy white clouds gently rolling over, the birds are singing, it's a lovely Spring day! For me it's perfect, the sunshine still feels warm on the skin but the temperatures aren't too high and the air isn't at all muggy, so very usable weather that doesn't make you very tired and very sweaty very quickly.

I'm sorry but are we a nation of weaklings? How was the weather last weekend 'muggy'? I mean, come on - the highest temp was 27C in London, most of the country was lower than that - humidity wasn't even high. :wallbash:Honestly, there are people in Florida laughing at us because we find 22C and sunshine to be soooo unbearable and muggy and hot and sweaty.. lol. The UK is a northerly latitude climate so it isn't like the sun is even very strong. 

I went for a 10 mile bike ride on Thursday, clear blue skies, temps of 20C, with a gentle breeze. I saw countless other people doing the same. Can you honestly sit there and  tell me you would find such condiitons 'muggy'?!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

I'm sorry but are we a nation of weaklings? How was the weather over the weekend 'muggy'? I mean, come on - the highest temp was 27C in London, most of the country was lower than that - humidity wasn't even high. :wallbash:Honestly, there are people in Florida laughing at us because we find 22C and sunshine to be soooo unbearable and muggy and hot and sweaty.. lol. 

It certainly felt muggy here, the sleeping situation was awful. Perhaps we are weaklings when it comes to that sort of weather, Florida's climate is at the extreme end I would say. I'm sure most Floridians wouldn't be out and about in this current weather in Summer clothing (like I have seen a lot of people doing today) because it would be too cold for them. I guess that makes them weaklings. Everybody is a weakling in one way or another.

In response to your update: Yes, I could not stop sweating over the weekend! Perhaps we have different ideas of muggy. And riding a bike by the way will significantly increase wind chill so is probably a more pleasant activity than most.

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Relativistic said:

It certainly felt muggy here, the sleeping situation was awful. Perhaps we are weaklings when it comes to that sort of weather, Florida's climate is at the extreme end I would say. I'm sure most Floridians wouldn't be out and about in this current weather in Summer clothing because it would be too cold for them. I guess that makes them weaklings. Everybody is a weakling in one way or another.

I think you and Eugene are just kind of odd in that sense - no offence intended seriously but I've never met anyone who complains that low 20s and sunny is 'muggy' and 10-13C lows are 'awful' for sleeping. While the rest of the country was enjoying a well-overdue taste of summer, you were moaning?

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, cheese said:

I think you and Eugene are just kind of odd in that sense - no offence intended seriously but I've never met anyone who complains that low 20s and sunny is 'muggy' and 10-13C lows are 'awful' for sleeping. While the rest of the country was enjoying a well-overdue taste of summer, you were moaning?

Don't worry, I'm not taking any offence :) But I'm telling you, the temperature in my room was stuck at 24C for about four days, even with the window open! (It doesn't open fully by the way.) I found it very hard to sleep.

Anyway, the original point was that the weather by some people's standards is very nice today. It's beautiful out there, the Sun is out and it's looking lovely. Far from "anything but nice".

Edited by Relativistic
  • Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, cheese said:

Disagree totally i'm afraid,today has been so much more useable weather wise,it is very 'nice' weather which i'm sure the majority would agree with! Weather preferences are subjective and each person has their own opinion,this is not being detached from reality its just their own choice. Seen a lot more people out today than last weekend but that may just be a coincidence. Also way more garden activity but thats probably down to just long grass!!

• Like 4

Posted

Plenty of people at the park enjoying themselves. And look at that sky!

20160514_173105.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Lovely clean/clear air today and feeling warm in the sun with lots of walkers out passing the house today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I can see why some people found the recent spell of weather difficult for sleeping in- it depends on how well insulated and ventilated your house is.  The outdoor temperatures were nothing scary, but in some houses, heat gets trapped inside.  It was clearly nothing compared with much of August 1997 though.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers