Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring moans, ramps, chat and banter

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings
6 minutes ago, Paul said:

Does it really matter, if he now doesn't like snow & cold, he doesn't?

Of course not Paul, but why keep posting the same message day after day after day? If anyone's interested in what people like, they can look at their preferences. 

• Like 5

Posted
57 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

I didn't know there were any 'mild' rampers?..as the weather by definition in the UK is mild most of the time

Does that stop one being an exponent of mild weather?

• Like 1

Posted

No ECM.. No! You cannot extend the bland Euro-High dull SW flow charts even further!

After the dullest November on record nationally, with me being the one of the duller areas of the country, combined with virtually all 'interesting' weather that could come from such months i.e heavy rain, significantly strong winds, going north even by one or two counties.. My interest in weather cannot cope any more. 

A slightly dry November but with 26 rain days? really?? Absolutely horrible month, the worst I've known, and in probably the most boring year I've known. 
I am starting to get the feeling I really hate El Nino, if that's driving this omnipresent pattern.

• Like 3

Posted
1 hour ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

ECM1-216.GIF

weird chart for Dec? never come off, where's the raging Atlantic lows

The raging lows are still incoming,november has been a much above average stormy month to recent ones.

Temps crappy mild for the forseeable.

http://weather.unisys.com/gfs/gfs.php?inv=0&plot=850&region=eu&t=l

Mildest December day today since 2007 made 11.8c

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
41 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

No ECM.. No! You cannot extend the bland Euro-High dull SW flow charts even further!

After the dullest November on record nationally, with me being the one of the duller areas of the country, combined with virtually all 'interesting' weather that could come from such months i.e heavy rain, significantly strong winds, going north even by one or two counties.. My interest in weather cannot cope any more. 

A slightly dry November but with 26 rain days? really?? Absolutely horrible month, the worst I've known, and in probably the most boring year I've known. 
I am starting to get the feeling I really hate El Nino, if that's driving this omnipresent pattern.

Must say if I as living in the south, the past 2 months would drive me mad, relentless dullness, SW moisture and tiresome mild temps day in- day out. I am glad I got out 10 years ago !  Having said that the past few months here have been boring, day in , day out  under Euro High, granted lots of sunshine though. A bit of a cold snap last week with some snow but that is retreating quickly up the mountain and temps on the rise again. The first 7 days of winter in your part of the world must rank as one of the warmest ever. Crap start to winter all over much of Europe.

C

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

You can bet your life by April we will have strong northern blocking.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Medlock Vale said:

You can bet your life by April we will have strong northern blocking.

Yep. strong easterly winds by then haha. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Incessant rain in the summer ,incessant rain in the Winter same old crap , just different months

• Like 1

Posted

I very rarely venture into this thread as I like to stay positive about things, however, I want to moan about the lack of sunshine in recent weeks and endless days of cloud and heavy rain. Growing very tired of it now, barely a respite from the rain at the moment and not even a chink of slight brightness in the air, its making for an exceptionally dull spell of weather. Aah got that one off my chest..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I very rarely venture into this thread as I like to stay positive about things, however, I want to moan about the lack of sunshine in recent weeks and endless days of cloud and heavy rain. Growing very tired of it now, barely a respite from the rain at the moment and not even a chink of slight brightness in the air, its making for an exceptionally dull spell of weather. Aah got that one off my chest..

Amen to that! :clap:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Yep, very dreary, all this SW'ly crap. This country is way too cloudy all year long for my liking but November has been especially gloomy. I remember Decembers past that had decent sunny and cold high pressure spells. Seems to be nigh impossible to get high pressure to sit over us for any length of time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
4 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

My sentiments exactly. I think 2015 has been a truly vile year in Guildford which culminated in a truly vile November, rain total being 48.1 mm (72%) over 20 rain days - so, a dry month with frequent rain.  Guildford was also shrouded in fog all day on the 1st and 2nd where the rest of the UK had gorgeous sunshine and unprecedented warmth. 

Extremely boring weather in 2015 - never had so many bike rides ruined by drizzle and rain only to arrive home and find 0.5~2 mm has fallen - enough to get soaked but not enough to be interesting.

This area missed the snow last January, missed all the thunderstorms through the summer with nearby areas having copious events and now all this incessant drizzle with frequent stupid small amounts of rain.

Set-up is remarkably like last year - that bl**dy Azores high again - which will no doubt lead to another winter situation which I loathe - cold zonality with snow in the north (usually Reading northwards) so we miss out yet again. Prefer a blowtorch dry and mild S.W.ly like December 1988 / January 1989 to missing more interesting weather while accompanied by more vile dross and muck in the south, when the  rest of the UK sees the usual variety with cold zonality ('weather jealousy'!) . I thought last winter was the nastiest since 2005/2006 and I am not ready for round two of nasty winters yet!

I think it would take a divine miracle to get heights to rise to the north and N.E. to give the south a favourable E.N.E. flow to bring snow and some real excitement here. In the mean time one can wish for high pressure to cover the UK to result in a much needed proper dry spell, some much needed sunshine and perhaps some frosts,   

• Like 3

Posted

I really feel for those stuck in the UK under what seems a constant stream of lows with relentless wind and rain.  This strong Euro high whilst delivering some nice weather here is a horror show for the ski resorts, after that colder week the temps have rocketed. At this rate after an early start to the ski season it will be difficult to keep the resorts open if that Euro high doesn't do one and get lost!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
6 hours ago, nick sussex said:

I really feel for those stuck in the UK under what seems a constant stream of lows with relentless wind and rain.  This strong Euro high whilst delivering some nice weather here is a horror show for the ski resorts, after that colder week the temps have rocketed. At this rate after an early start to the ski season it will be difficult to keep the resorts open if that Euro high doesn't do one and get lost!

Nick, I agree looks grim for the mountains, but would rather be here than having to face what the UK has had to endure and still is. Poor sods, especially after a crap summer up north and a frostless winter last year on the south coast. Lets hope thing change for all of us, I mean snow  and cruel frost ! I now switch off the BBC World Weather presentation, just the same picture shown for Europe, sunshine, Euro High and double didget temps and as for Blighty, nightmare scenario, it makes me feel bad, however the German channels are just as gloomy, holding no hope for cold weather for the next 10 days. Christmas Markets will be green and cheerless.

C 

C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
On 12/2/2015, 11:29:42, rain_shadow said:

No wonder they don't mind cold since they work in an office. Easy.  They might change opinion if working outdoors all day. Crisp, sunny mornings are better than wet cloudy ones even they are colder, but often it is cold AND wet. "Out of office of course" :)

Maybe I should have been a bit more specific: 'at work'. A lot of our work is actually outdoors either doing site visits or walking from a to b. I just get to speak to people in the office itself.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.

Model watching is so painful at the moment. Lots of "signs" signalling change but we never get anywhere and it's always pushed back. I give up.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Relativistic Sting Jet said:

Model watching is so painful at the moment. Lots of "signs" signalling change but we never get anywhere and it's always pushed back. I give up.

OK, cheers see you next winter....oh hang on its December 4th.........the forth day of winter.

When is December ever cold and snowy??? Ok you have 2010, that spoilt us. If we didn't have 2010 all this moaning about no cold in the reliable time frame wouldn't happen.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.

My moan is based upon how the same model outputs can be interpreted in totally different ways in the MOD thread.  Purely in today's posts so far, we've had one post to the effect of "GFS off on one, won't accept there's any pattern change coming before the New Year until Met Office mention it and John Holmes sees it in the 500mb anomaly charts" and another saying something along the lines of  "Pattern-change nailed-on mid-month".  I suspect the truth is, as always, somewhere between those two extremes, but it doesn't help those like me who are not expert model output interpreters to work out the most likely evolution.

• Like 2

Posted

Tentative signs of something a little more seasonal from mid month, I'm not buying the big Greenland high showing on the 06z  but it does look like we'll see more PM/AM thrown into the mix which if anything will bring some drier brighter slots in between  the current deluge. Now fingers crossed and don't tell everyone but we could even see some wintry precipitation for many areas, but sshh keep it a secret.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
54 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

My moan is based upon how the same model outputs can be interpreted in totally different ways in the MOD thread.  Purely in today's posts so far, we've had one post to the effect of "GFS off on one, won't accept there's any pattern change coming before the New Year until Met Office mention it and John Holmes sees it in the 500mb anomaly charts" and another saying something along the lines of  "Pattern-change nailed-on mid-month".  I suspect the truth is, as always, somewhere between those two extremes, but it doesn't help those like me who are not expert model output interpreters to work out the most likely evolution.

It's been like this ever since I started looking on here, maybe 3 years ago now. It's the nature of the beast where weather is concerned, there's never going to be just one interpretation of the outcome, especially the further beyond 5 days you get. 

You have to start forming your own opinion, and yes, the 'truth' usually lies somewhere in the middle of the two extremes. Personally, in my opinion there's enough runs recently showing similar enough outcomes that I think a "pattern change" is likely, but not "nailed on" mid month. Now whether that will bring widespread, low-level snow across the UK, I'm not so sure. I think it will be marginal. Possibly some sightings of snow within mosty cold rain.

Since my major obsession at the moment is snow in the Austrian Alps prior to my skiing trip on Boxing Day I'd happily take any of the last few GFS FIs.

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes a nice 6z run, The 2nd half of December looks to be much more seasonal for the time of year. Has been so mild of late..