Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Sun finally came oot an hour ago when it's too late and I'm too crabbit to do anything at all. Scunnered.

Posted

Was cloudy to start with but has turned into a super afternoon

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Enjoy it SWS, but you'll have other good times in your life too, don't be so resigned to your fate as an adult. 

Cheers bro. True, true. I think it'll be good overall but i'm just very aware of how good this next year will be, need to make the most of it and all that.

Great day here today. Wall to wall sunshine for the last two hours. In my sheltered sun trap of a yard it reached 13.7c, currently 13.5c with a very slight breeze. Approaching 'very pleasant', certainly without the breeze it is. First proper springlike day :)

Dunno what happened there, trying to reply to you @SW Saltire. The sun has made a late appearance here, what a lovely change in the weather :) 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted

Few clouds about but generally lovely, finally getting some work done around the house so enjoying the conditions, wet and windy later next week according to the TV forecast? yeeuch.. that's not such a welcome prospect 

HEATHER burning ongoing, they ain't burning peat as I randomly proclaimed in my last post, my fingers and my brain often run apart as I type, I texted kisses at the end of a message to the electrician the other week, awkward

xx

Posted

Another absolitely stunning morning but sadly I'm watching the cloud and mist creeping in from the Forth at a fair old rate. Won't be long until greyness prevails! 

Posted

Mostly bright rather than sunny with some cloud around. 6.5c.

Posted

3c and cloudy this morning. Any budding entomologists on here? Noting that spiders are more visible again, living with an arachnophobe keeps you very busy but also, last year was horrendous for ticks so if a late cold spell is required to reduce the buggers then I might welcome that

Posted

Was 6.5c at 7am. No idea on temp now as in back in bed but sun is annoying me.

The met office had this down as a very cloudy weekend here... Yesterday was very sunny after 1pm and today could be spectacularly good.

Reached 13.7c yesterday, hopefully over 14c today. Going to the beach later although i'll need a jacket tbh :)

Posted
2 hours ago, 101_North said:

Another absolitely stunning morning but sadly I'm watching the cloud and mist creeping in from the Forth at a fair old rate. Won't be long until greyness prevails! 

Scrap that! Greyness lasted less than 15 minutes! It's an absolute beauty of a day!

Posted

Lovely here too and much warmer than earlier in the week as we've lost the North Sea breeze, 12c.

Posted
3 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

Was 6.5c at 7am. No idea on temp now as in back in bed but sun is annoying me.

The met office had this down as a very cloudy weekend here... Yesterday was very sunny after 1pm and today could be spectacularly good.

Reached 13.7c yesterday, hopefully over 14c today. Going to the beach later although i'll need a jacket tbh :)

Just come back from Dumfries, and can vouch that it felt like summer down there, warm & 100% blue sky. The wind direction has clearly changed because Moffat has about 90% cloud today.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, moffatross said:

Just come back from Dumfries, and can vouch that it felt like summer down there, warm & 100% blue sky. The wind direction has clearly changed because Moffat has about 90% cloud today.

Yep, broke the 15c barrier at 2:30... Currently levelling out at 15.3c in my sheltered back yard.

I was sweating in a t-shirt when doing some heavy work outside. Pleasant in a t-shirt if doing any kind of exercise :) 

Ages to go and i know we have an unsettled spell incoming but today is a real sign that summer is not miles away!

Posted

Dull and  and cool today with a fresh west wind and currently 7.5c. Fine for working in but not much growth as was 4c first thing this morning. Just met some new neighbours from south of the border who built a new house locally and were out for a walk .They said it was the first day of spring but had to wrap up like it was winter.   I said we would still be feeding cattle until the 3rd week in April even if its an average spring.

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Dull and  and cool today with a fresh west wind and currently 7.5c. Fine for working in but not much growth as was 4c first thing this morning. Just met some new neighbours from south of the border who built a new house locally and were out for a walk .They said it was the first day of spring but had to wrap up like it was winter.   I said we would still be feeding cattle until the 3rd week in April even if its an average spring.

Quite a big difference between what you experienced today and those of us well to your south.. Scotland does enjoy a pretty varied climate :)

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:
6 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Quite a big difference between what you experienced today and those of us well to your south.. Scotland does enjoy a pretty varied climate :)

The Cairngorms help to give us dry/milder weather when winds in a southerly quarter  but when winds go round to to west or north or east then we are not so sheltered and the weather has its revenge. With prevailing SW winds in the UK then the south side of the Moray Firth  usually has a very good climate and any rain can  be seen coming up the Great Glen and exiting across to the north side of the Moray Firth and we remain dry

Posted

The Met Office has updated its longer term forecast, dropping the suggestion of a return to high pressure and settled weather in the north by April, and replaced it with generally unsettled through early April, with the wettest and windiest weather in the north. Boo, sucks ! :closedeyes:

Posted

13.6c yesterday at Leuchars so matched a couple of days in January for warmest day of the year so far. We should escape the worst of the weather later this week...

1 hour ago, moffatross said:

Is that a giant fish symbol between Scotland & Iceland for the N. Atlantic fleet ...

here be fish.png

Defo something fishy with this weather. After a nice sunny start it's been a bland old day here, more Novemberneverending. 

Posted

Dry and cloudy again but this dry spell is on it's way out

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, NUT said:

Dry and cloudy again but this dry spell is on it's way out

Same here, and for once it might be a relief to see a bit of rain, just for the variety. Not that there seems to be much rain forecast for here from what I can see.

Thanks to the wonders of Facebook I have been reminded that at this time three years ago we were coming to the end of the cold snowy spell. Three years ago last night I was driving through big drifts of snow to get home from work. I miss snow :( 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
On 20/03/2016 at 8:51 PM, moffatross said:

The Met Office has updated its longer term forecast, dropping the suggestion of a return to high pressure and settled weather in the north by April, and replaced it with generally unsettled through early April, with the wettest and windiest weather in the north. Boo, sucks ! :closedeyes:

Four days on, the suggestion of a return to high pressure dominated weather is back in the MO longer term narrative.

The major models all show a precursor low diving south @ 144 hrs ...

UKMO @ 144 ... UW144-21.GIF?24-06

ECM @ 144 ... ECM1-144.GIF?24-12

GFS @ 144 ... gfs-0-144.png?6

The GFS models the WAA having pumped up a block just a few days later ... 

gfs-0-192.png?6

And that block then sticks around in one place or another throughout the run ...

gfs-0-240.png?6

gfs-0-384.png?6

The ECM only delays the WAA, but I suspect the unseen (for us armchair amateurs) mean at longer range would reflect the MO's updated text ...

ECM1-240.GIF?24-12

Meantime, while the Met Office have issued a SWW for gales in Englandshire on Saturday, the strongest winds from the weekend storm are actually modelled to occur over Scotland. The Central Belt looks like it'll see particularly lively gusts around the time of the change of clocks to BST in the wee small hours ...

nmmuk-11-67-0.png?24-12

Edited by moffatross