Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Snowing in Bridge of Don. Big heavy flakes, still a bit wet so it's not lying at the moment.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Funnily enough, traffic cams bot to the north (Birness) and south (Forfar) look pretty clear. Definite coating in Dyce now, which will help the traffic at rush hour no end.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Looks like a covering at Laurencekirk now on A90.

Here temp has risen and it is now light rain though still a touch sleety in heavier bursts.

Posted

Still snowing in Dyce, mainly lightly. Snow that is lying looks to be turning wet/slushy, at least on the road surfaces & cars. Covering at home looks more intact, but then again that's lying mainly on grass.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
On 12/30/2015 at 10:12 PM, doctormog said:

i was working just outside oyne today and by the time i left at 5pm there was about  4 inches lying quite wet snow though 

Posted
4 hours ago, Richard Taylor said:

Ironically typical (or typically ironic!) - our most significant snowfall, on the meteorological first day of spring! :D   

Only the second best of the 'winter' here, I'd say about 2-3cm of very heavy wet snow lying in my garden when I got home (nightmare stuff to clear from the driveway). The best fall was 7cm....in Nov. So best in Autumn, second best in Spring. Sums up this winter really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

So, snaw warning for higher areas of southern Scotland overnight.

#OnceBitten #TwiceShy

Issued at: 
1039 on Thu 3 Mar 2016

Valid from: 
1900 on Thu 3 Mar 2016

Valid to: 
1500 on Fri 4 Mar 2016

A band of rain, sleet and hill snow is expected to cross Northern Ireland on Thursday afternoon, moving into northern England, north Wales and parts of southern Scotland during Thursday evening and night. Snow is not currently expected to be disruptive at low levels in most areas, although small amounts are likely in places and ice may prove a hazard on untreated surfaces. However, snow is expected to settle on high ground above 200 metres. Please be aware of the likelihood of difficult driving conditions and some travel disruption. This is an update to extend the warning further north across Northern Ireland and southern Scotland, whilst some counties in mid Wales and the Midlands have been removed. In addition, ice has now been included as a hazard, whilst the tick in the risk matrix has moved to a higher likelihood of lower impacts. During Friday, the band of rain, sleet and snow will slowly edge southwards with the risk of further accumulating snow steadily retreating towards higher elevations.

Also showers on a NE flow come saturday...

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
2 hours ago, scottish skier said:

So, snaw warning for higher areas of southern Scotland overnight.

#OnceBitten #TwiceShy

Also showers on a NE flow come saturday...

I've just came over the M74, it was only sleet at 1000ft!  Albeit it looks a bit heavier now so could be more snow.

Posted

Overnight low of -3.0C but climbed to 3.1C currently. Cloudy at the moment with occasional short bursts of rain. We still have the remains of Tuesday's snow lying in areas shaded from the sun, but unlike last through today. 

Posted

Dusting of a top-up overnight but some heavy showers as I left, tonight in to tomorrow looks decent for more, been a quiet pastcouple of days, access to the house is a compacted ice/snow rink clusterfu**, one of the less enjoyable results of prolonged cold conditions but keeps you fit

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
11 hours ago, Ross B said:

I've just came over the M74, it was only sleet at 1000ft!  Albeit it looks a bit heavier now so could be more snow.

Aye. Seems N. England got a little something out of it, but naff all for S. Scotland.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35723643

Heavy snow affects travel in Yorkshire and Lancashire

_88572186_88572185.jpg

The north of England has been hit by heavy overnight snow showers.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
3 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Seems N. England got a little something out of it, but naff all for S. Scotland.

The north if England was always progged to get a colder undercut from the west. The uppers here were just too high (-4 @ 850), and DP's were marginal at best (0 -> +1). Looking towards the hills this morning I can see the snow line here is about 400 metres. Reckon the high villages (Wanlockhead & Leadhills) will be snowy.

Posted

Looked like the rain or whatever it was going to be was going to mean business as it approached us as it looked pretty heavy on radar but in the end got a few spots and that was it

Edited by NUT

Posted

Miserable morning with showers feeding in on a NE wind off the Firth and every one hitting us .Ground very wet again. Currently 2.8c. No greeness in the countryside. March living up to my thoughts that it is the hungriest month of the year for wildlife and domestic animals

• Like 1

Posted

Looking at the reports today, even in England, the snow wasn't heavy, despite the overblown headlines.

Unsurprised to see the photo of the upside down SUV. Some drivers think they're invincible because they've got a 4WD car, as if it'll somehow help them to turn or stop, even with summer tyres on it.

udsuv.JPG

Edited by moffatross
  • Like 1

Posted

Met office has issued warnings for Snow and ice for a fair bit of the north and east of the country later today / tomorrow.     Likely to be rain/sleet in my neck of woods but you never know.     Was surprised at how much we got earlier in the week so could be in for a surprise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gogoslo said:

Met office has issued warnings for Snow and ice for a fair bit of the north and east of the country later today / tomorrow.     Likely to be rain/sleet in my neck of woods but you never know.     Was surprised at how much we got earlier in the week so could be in for a surprise.

I'd be happy just with a covering after all the snow no shows recently. We've had some heavy wet sleet here this afternoon so fingers crossed for overnight. The Euro4 doesn't look very promising for here but the WRF-NMM does look very promising for parts of the east. 

Posted

Hoping to get to Glenshee on Sunday so I'd settle for a fresh dump there. Stayed dry here until about an hour ago but far too warm for the showers now coming though to be anything but rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Every year the media do it but I've had more snow atop my bonce after a trip to the woodshed than in the scenes the rolling news are devoting plenty of their 'news' to. Tomorrows Mail or Express will probably read "SNOW hell ATTACKS!! (and did some MIGRANTS dress up as SNOWMEN to enter the UK!?"

:D 

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 1

Posted

Morning all,

Overcast, breezy but dry here in Crail, 4.2c. Looks much better tomorrow with abundant sunshine on offer!