Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Very black cloud just approaching us from the west  after quite a pleasant afternoon, getting windier and currently 6.5c

Posted

Gutted to miss the fireworks last night but my good lady caught a glimpse and assumed it was lightening. Raining on and off today with a max of 5c, raining now but on the turn as it's getting sleetier and the temp has dropped to 2c in a short time 

• Like 1

It's still up at 6.5C here, but considering it was 10.1C earlier that's not too bad especially when the dew point is down at 2.4C. I think tonight could be very interesting for some parts, I am not sure where will get worst hit bit it'll be fun finding out. I don't really know where the snow sweet spots are further north, but my best guess for south of the Clyde-Forth isthmus is somewhere in south South Lanarkshire or further south along the M74 towards Moffat.

Obviously shepherds take delight at the prospect of snow:

image.thumb.jpeg.cca29951a7366746a39d474

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, thunderstorms,cold, heatwaves.

BBC forecast said strong winds to accompany snow which is normally the kiss of death for coastal Ayrshire. Hoping my position 6 miles inland and 60m elevation is enough to give a covering. We will see. No lying snow here so far this winter.

Posted

Firmly snow for the last wee while and the areas where the snow had disappeared are white again, looked good for the south west tonight on the bbc forecast. 1c

• Like 3

Posted

Glad to see the higher parts of the country are feeling the colder air, here we have fallen from 9C at 3pm to 5.3 right now so guessing the highest bits of the Ochils are theoretically starting to get cold enough for snow. Snow patches have, by the way, held on firmly above 500m during this past coldish snap, despite the sunshine and the 6-8C by day. Despite the 14mm of last night there was quite a bit of a sprinkle today which is going to be topped up in the hours to come thank god! :D Be fun to see until when snow is visible this spring. May-June like last year? Probable, seeing these weird seasonal lags. 

On a shorter term note, I am looking forward to the 4th morning of the year (not 'the winter'...) with a fresh snow covering. Remember those good days when we managed two in a row? Seeing the Metoffice winter weather stats I can't help but feel that Scotland has most definitely been an independent country in temperature terms during the last three months, it would have been awful to be in the NW of England, let alone the SE! 

So glad to have found a wee corner of the Forth valley where at least we have managed a few snow coverings and frosts despite the relentless zonal pattern!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Very black cloud just approaching us from the west  after quite a pleasant afternoon, getting windier and currently 6.5c

Now 2c so snow possible again!

Posted

BBC weather saying a good covering for a lot of us.

Wet and breezy here.

I wonder if the snaw will cover last nights Highland landing :)

FB_IMG_1456860687959.thumb.jpg.f456068c4

• Like 6

Posted

Temp dropping away nicely - from 7c at 5pm to around 3c now. Not a great set up for here (no setup is really) but fingers crossed! 

Posted

Snaw flakes mixed with ice rain here, which I hope bodes well for later. Just back from dug walk and it is biting cold in the wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

3.9c/1.4c/SW.   Occasional bright spells here today with a strongish wind.   Don't think there will be  much if anything over Fife.   Looks more likely for western areas?

Posted

God every time I refresh the website the temp's a few decimals lower :D 3.5 / -0.2dp clear skies, surely over grass it could be getting as down as 2. right now? 

Posted

Radar looking good off the west coast, some beefy showers with lightning.  I'll be missing out most likely as im in the north east of England but enjoy for those who get the snow! 

Posted

first snow shower on its way from WNW, skies covering quickly from that side now, will keep you up to date, academy now reading 3.1 and -0.5dp

Posted

Just seen a few flashes of lightning behind Argyll hills, probably about 20 miles away judging by timing of very distant rumble I heard after first flash. Strange though as lightning map only shows lightning up towards Mallaig.

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

T dropping away here. Currently 3.2 C with a DP of -0.8.

Some really heavy looking stuff out west on the radar.

Posted

3.1/-0.4 the shower collapsed on top of us, not much to be said about it other than I saw a few flakes and ppn sounded icy but didnt last long at all. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, peborant said:

3.1/-0.4 the shower collapsed on top of us, not much to be said about it other than I saw a few flakes and ppn sounded icy but didnt last long at all. 

Kind of what we had about 45 min ago.

Posted

Evening all,

Mildly amused to see NE Fife in the warning zone. I'd call it healthy scepticism.

Looking good for many though, perhaps the most widespread lowland snowfall of the 2015/16 season?

2c here in Crail.

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

4 loaded up nose- to- tail gritters  just passed the window, which is the most I've seen together all winter.  1.9c/0c/W.   Radar does look loaded out to the west.  

Posted

Heavy snow here at the moment, think I'm going to have to find a few hours to head up for a spot of snowboarding at cairngorm tomorrow. POWDER DAY!

• Like 5

Posted

Ahh follocks it's going to miss here again! That radar just hates me :) 

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

So as usual we wait for Spring to get our hopefully best snowfall of 2016. Looks like it could be the real McCoy this time.