Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
1 hour ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Woke up to a snow accumulation forecast of this imby by midnight tomorrow:

image.thumb.gif.d2aa803488e95696c8faacaf

Big pink spot almost centred on my house! 

I'd rather have actual snow than a promise of snow :rofl: 

Definitely looks good for you! :) 

TV forecast looks good for us here on the coast too, showing snow but BBC weather app adamant it's going to be rain. 

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it does actually snow. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Snowman09 said:

Definitely looks good for you! :) 

TV forecast looks good for us here on the coast too, showing snow but BBC weather app adamant it's going to be rain. 

Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised and it does actually snow. 

Fingers crossed for everyone to get ten inches of snow...if only!! 

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
1 hour ago, 101_North said:

I'm not sure about tomorrow at all. The Met forecast currently has too much sleet involved for my location and looking at the uppers - well they aren't great - not really dipping below -6c until tomorrow afternoon and eventually getting down to -8c. That would be plenty cold enough for most directions but experience living here has shown anything vaguely 'easterly' to be marginal up until about -10c when snow is nailed on. Let's wait and see but latest Euro4 shows a bit of a mess of rain/sleet/snow by the time the ppn reaches the Lothians. 

Grumpy bugger today! Blaming work LOL

Not grumpy at all - that matches my experience too.

Interesting morning locally. Mild and frost free in Crail (of course) but icy in St Andrews with a recent small hail shower and snow lying not far from the coast.

I'll confidently predict not seeing any snow in Crail but I'm sure Blitzen, Big Innes etc. will do well!

• Like 2

Posted

Grampian, Fife, Edinburgh, Kinross and Perth, Borders and possibly some parts of central Scotland are in prime spot for some snow over the next 24-36 hours thanks to slow moving band of precipitation. Some places could receive a decent cover, whilst others just a patchy one. The risk extends into NE England and I've my fingers crossed we might catch a dusting come Sunday.. NE winds can penetrate showers all the way into central Cumbria on occasion.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
13 hours ago, snowidea said:

Yep, Neil and Michelle, say hi to them from Sara, Donald and co.

I think we consumed little too much water of life last night. :drunk-emoji:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

A real mixture of everything here in Dyce this morning. Temp now 3 or 4C so mainly bursts of rain, sometimes sleety. I'd reckon anywhere a bit further inland, especially with a little height, will be getting a more snowy mix.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
25 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Light snow shower here in Carrbridge.

Fairly constant light snow now. Very picturesquew as it falls through the old pines around the house.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, damianslaw said:

Grampian, Fife, Edinburgh, Kinross and Perth, Borders and possibly some parts of central Scotland are in prime spot for some snow over the next 24-36 hours thanks to slow moving band of precipitation. Some places could receive a decent cover, whilst others just a patchy one. The risk extends into NE England and I've my fingers crossed we might catch a dusting come Sunday.. NE winds can penetrate showers all the way into central Cumbria on occasion.

06z Euro4 is promising in terms of the accumulated snow by 6am on Sunday. Total IMBY post but it's been almost three years since I had more than an inch of snow at my house!!

(sorry @Hawesy I know I am being selfish)

image.thumb.gif.4c7b1aae92bcca661b55f5a6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Just drove home and a proper snow shower here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Whos birthday is it today then?   There's a cluster of us around these dates.   Think it's Big Innes's turn tomorrow.   Not yours SS?   Mine Monday.   I'm sure Catch and Cheggars should be in the mix too?   Come on, own up!   Virtual pressies in it for you!:D

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Whos birthday is it today then?   There's a cluster of us around these dates.   Think it's Big Innes's turn tomorrow.   Not yours SS?   Mine Monday.   I'm sure Catch and Cheggars should be in the mix too?   Come on, own up!   Virtual pressies in it for you!:D

It's my Netweather birthday on Monday and my real world birthday on Tuesday. 21 again ha ha erm 38 actually not that you would guess by how excited I am and nervous about the snow prospects. 

Posted

Okay Catch.....for owning up, here's your pressie.   Hope you have more luck with it than I did with mine!

co2400_sn_pwrclr_621_loc_l_66.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Updated warning from the Met Office for tomorrow:

A front over northern Scotland will move slowly and erratically southwards on Friday night and during Saturday. This will bring outbreaks of mainly rain and sleet over eastern coastal areas but with snow falling to lower levels inland. 5 cm is likely to accumulate above around 200 m and 10 cm or more above 400 m, with 2 to 4 cm likely locally at low levels. The greatest risk is across Perthshire, Kinross and Stirlingshire from the early hours of Saturday until mid-morning, then across Lothian and the Borders from mid-morning onwards. Some snowfall is also expected at lower levels elsewhere away from the immediate coastal fringe, but accumulations here should be mostly limited to around 1 cm. A frost will also develop on Friday evening before rain, sleet and snow spreads south and this will lead to the risk ice as this falls onto frozen surfaces in places.

Seems reasonable enough to me. Horrible here in St Andrews at the moment, chucking it down, 4c.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Updated warning from the Met Office for tomorrow:

A front over northern Scotland will move slowly and erratically southwards on Friday night and during Saturday. This will bring outbreaks of mainly rain and sleet over eastern coastal areas but with snow falling to lower levels inland. 5 cm is likely to accumulate above around 200 m and 10 cm or more above 400 m, with 2 to 4 cm likely locally at low levels. The greatest risk is across Perthshire, Kinross and Stirlingshire from the early hours of Saturday until mid-morning, then across Lothian and the Borders from mid-morning onwards. Some snowfall is also expected at lower levels elsewhere away from the immediate coastal fringe, but accumulations here should be mostly limited to around 1 cm. A frost will also develop on Friday evening before rain, sleet and snow spreads south and this will lead to the risk ice as this falls onto frozen surfaces in places.

Seems reasonable enough to me. Horrible here in St Andrews at the moment, chucking it down, 4c.

Pretty underwhelming to be honest but pretty much what I expected. Unfortunately I think I'll be a) too close to the east coast and b) not quite high enough. I probably should add a 'c' and suggest that I'm under a Met warning area which pretty much guarantees mongoose type nonsense!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
4 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Aye, Birthday the morra indeed Blitzy!

Ah think some Actual Snaw might be a wee pressy for me though.

Imagin gonnae be 55 at mah age eh, christ ahm only a boy (in mah heid) 

Big Innes

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Rain in Perth city centre 

Posted
5 hours ago, scottish skier said:

Light snow shower here in Carrbridge.

Have had a few light showers since I got home, Sunday/Monday morn still holds some promise for heavy showers on the Met O forecast if you're still up here:) 

Currently 0C

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

F-f-f-freezing out there in that wind. Couple of very light and short showers today but an easterly will give us nowt here - Sunday will be better when it swings back northwards again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
14 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Big Innes

Hey, me too soon enough!  The wee boy in me was enjoying his new wheels earlier despite inappropriate rubber fitments....:crazy: In fact it was quite entertaining but not recommended for daily use.

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Hey, me too soon enough!  The wee boy in me was enjoying his new wheels earlier despite inappropriate rubber fitments....:crazy: In fact it was quite entertaining but not recommended for daily use.

This should help x 4...Happy Birthday when it comes!:D

Pirelli-WCE_2.jpg

index.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Posted
35 minutes ago, Big Innes Madori said:

Keep the faith!

stig_final5.jpg

Midori-Sour.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

Look away fellow Fifers: Met Office forecast for Central, Fife and Tayside....

Saturday:

Outbreaks of sleet and snow, but rain near the coast and over Fife, slowly moving away south. Bright or sunny spells following across Tayside and Angus, then dry, cold evening. Maximum Temperature 4°C.

Looking at the models, you can see why. There's a parcel of milder air coming in off the North Sea which sits stubbornly over Fife for much of tomorrow before the colder air sinks south. Of course by then the precipitation has moved south too.

7 years ago today I had 11cm of snow on the ground, the only time I've recorded >10cm since moving here in 2005 (and that includes the cold winters of 2009/10 and Nov/Dec 2010).

Edited by Hawesy

Posted

Haven't even looked in the model thread here (or at TWO), but a quick glance at the 12Z GFS and the ECM just rolling out suggests there'll be some maudlin misgogs this evening, and that the word 'euroslug' will be used in one or two posts. I've really enjoyed this relative calm/dry spell and managed quite a lot of outdoors work on the house. Shame the most unreliable scaffolder/roofer in Dumfries & Galloway (possibly in all of Scotland) didn't just tell me on day one that he was going to jerk me about, instead of spinning his "I'll be there tomorrow" story out for the last week and a half. Looks like I'll be completing the rendering in the wind and rain.

• Like 1