Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
3 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Rain getting heavier now!

Still think you'll have a good chance of seeing a transition. I see from the rainfall radar everything headed a bit more north and east than was expected. So does that all stall...then spin south and east after a while...or does it just clear through ? Hopefully the former.

Posted
6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Euro4 12z If all that falls as snow there's a risk of 20-30cm+ over some parts, if not snow then prepare for more flooding: 

image.gif

What's the snow prospects for the Fife area? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, by-tor said:

Still think you'll have a good chance of seeing a transition. I see from the rainfall radar everything headed a bit more north and east than was expected. So does that all stall...then spin south and east after a while...or does it just clear through ? Hopefully the former.

Yes I noticed that the band is a bit further north than modelled. Not far enough for here though! Enjoy the snow if you get it. I see that Borders Council has apparently cancelled all school transport for to,or row in anticipation.

Very sorry to read of your loss Catch.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
4 minutes ago, by-tor said:

Pretty big flakes now in town, was very sleety 5 minutes ago but a lot of cars coming past have snow on them so it might start to settle a bit. 

20160113_185917.jpg

Posted

That's the rain on in Crail, 1.6c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
3 minutes ago, doctormog said:

Yes I noticed that the band is a bit further north than modelled. Not far enough for here though! Enjoy the snow if you get it. I see that Borders Council has apparently cancelled all school transport for to,or row in anticipation.

Very sorry to read of your loss Catch.

2 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Pretty big flakes now in town, was very sleety 5 minutes ago but a lot of cars coming past have snow on them so it might start to settle a bit. 

20160113_185917.jpg

Interesting.... :-) North-western extent sees it stalling just above Fort William. Does all that line of rain/snow from Fort William to Berwick start to sink southwards , increasingly turning to snow, and give (maybe) SE borders in particular a fairly lengthy period to get snowed on ? Could be a snow boundary somewhere in central Edinburgh, sometimes the snow line starts at Viewforth/Bruntsfield Links !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
11 minutes ago, M1245 said:

Looking at the radar the heavier stuff should be hitting very soon, probably turning it to snow away from Hawesy's house!

The NMM seems to have nailed the front so far (although I have slight concerns about it being a bit too far east), so if that holds the northwestern boundary of the heavy stuff will be around Perth, and Fife and the Lothians are going to get a proper pasting:

viewimage.thumb.png.bead03404fe4f9d697e7

Tasty!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, M1245 said:

Fairly poor but never say never, sorry but that's my honest opinion. 

Posted

It does indeed, while I lived on Cowgate a good friend of mine lived in bruntsfield and you could tell a clear difference in frost and lying snow. Speaking of which I am seeing fall cheerily right now. What direction will the front sink though? SE? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Cars will be getting stuck on Soutra soon probably.

image.jpg

My Dad called and suggested going up tonight...after seeing this pic over on Traffic Scotland I think I might wait until the morning and go via Berwick!! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Beginning with S ending with W ;)

Anything heading towards this way? We did fairly well last week with suprise snow, this week looks more widespread. BBC/STV news has central belt under band of snow around 9pm onwards. All the best for tonight. Sorry to hear about your mum Catch.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

Anything heading towards this way? We did fairly well last week with suprise snow, this week looks more widespread. BBC/STV news has central belt under band of snow around 9pm onwards. All the best for tonight. Sorry to hear about your mum Catch.

It looks like the front is further north and east than expected so I think we've missed out but parts of the Borders, Lothians and Fife might do well. I'm hoping we get something out of the snow showers tomorrow but I think it's going to be a struggle to get a meaningful snow event for most but at least we've got some cold, winter air in place. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

1st snow of 2016 here and a little unexpected I must admit started snowing lightly at about half 2 this afternoon and has been on since there's maybe about an inch on the ground should be nice tomorrow morning with the hills in the trossachs having there winter cloaks on 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Been heavy sleet here for an hour.   0.6c/0.4c/E.   Not lying on roads/pavements  but lying on tops of cars/grass.

The snow gates on the A68 at Soutra are being closed according to Traffic Scotland. 

Edit: and open again apparently but for how long?

Edited by CatchMyDrift

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

The forecast is for the band to stall and sink south. I would give it until at least 10pm before deciding it's track.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

I fear that the band is now too far north and east for us in North Lanarkshire to get anything out of it :-( I expect that when it stalls it will head south east missing us again. I hope we get something out of it as I told everyone I know that we would get at least a covering from this one (my family and friends seem to think I'm sort of weather expert lol!). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

Got about 3" I think, its hard to see - but the Sky has gone off already. Still going but getting fine now.

• Like 2