Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Hopefully we get some dry weather after this weeks rain, the flooded areas badly need a rest from all this rain! 

Stay away from the MOD fourm, people having a go at each other once again due to the latest model outputs. As far as I am concerned the models have no idea what next week will bring so I think it is all to play for! 

It will be turning colder and I believe some of us will be in for a surprise :)

Posted

Not particulairy wet here. The breeze is making it feel chilly though

Edited by NUT

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
15 hours ago, peborant said:

I would not say 'seriously' cold, only a few degrees below average which, admittedly, would feel seriously cold considering the temperatures we have been accustomed to as of late! Was outside before and I felt it was freezing under the belting rain but temp was 7º so not cold enough for it to snow on the hills. Worst weather type ever and SW Saltire in Dollar we have recorded 30 days with measurable precipitation so the figure in Stirling will not be far off. Only three completely dry days since 1st Nov, rather freakish if you think about it, although that takes into account the 0.2mm measured each day on 1st, 2nd and 3rd Nov by the dense fog.

Happy this evening with the BBC's outlook, let's hope we do get a cold snap next week, I for one would not mind piling up on wet days as long as they are of a white nature!

Fair point, but as you say seriously cold compared to what has gone before, the MT is in mini meltdown but I think as above the cold does appear to be coming, how cold and how long as ever is a question which I feel will not be answered for a while yet and may well remain as a moving target even when (he says confidentially and optimistically) the cold arrives.

Snow possible tonight later on down to around 300m for a short period according to some meto information.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well Nut, you are absolutely right about it turning colder! We are down to 3.7 up here with clear blue skies! Can't remember the last time I saw a sky like that in Skye! It also looks like we are in for a spell of settled weather into next week too.....it's so welcome! I'm not really bothered if we get snow, just to have calm, clear days with white frost will suit me very well indeed! :D

• Like 2

Posted

It's been minging in Moffat all day with stupid amounts of rain again. I was actually looking forward to this spell of vaguely Easterly weather as that usually means it's drier here but the bloody climate has changed :-( At least it's not windy :-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
19 hours ago, peborant said:

I would not say 'seriously' cold, only a few degrees below average which, admittedly, would feel seriously cold considering the temperatures we have been accustomed to as of late! Was outside before and I felt it was freezing under the belting rain but temp was 7º so not cold enough for it to snow on the hills. Worst weather type ever and SW Saltire in Dollar we have recorded 30 days with measurable precipitation so the figure in Stirling will not be far off. Only three completely dry days since 1st Nov, rather freakish if you think about it, although that takes into account the 0.2mm measured each day on 1st, 2nd and 3rd Nov by the dense fog. 

Happy this evening with the BBC's outlook, let's hope we do get a cold snap next week, I for one would not mind piling up on wet days as long as they are of a white nature! 

I'm not in Stirling atm but unusually it would seem it has been every bit as wet as down here in the SW of the country.

looking like a cold snap rather than spell but we shall see...

Edited by SW Saltire

Posted
1 hour ago, moffatross said:

It's been minging in Moffat all day with stupid amounts of rain again. I was actually looking forward to this spell of vaguely Easterly weather as that usually means it's drier here but the bloody climate has changed :-( At least it's not windy :-)

Minging here too, 4th day in a row of utter dreich. Brisk easterly winds, grey skies and low cloud, rain (albeit nothing too heavy here on the coast) and temps between 6c and 8c day and night. First day back at work too, everyone was complaining about the weather. 

Posted

Awful few days to add to an awful, endless run of crap! I don't normally look forward to Northerly's as they usually only bring sun and blue skies rather than snow. On this occasion, however....... fingers crossed that something dry and bright might be on the horizon!

• Like 1

Posted

Another dull day with some damp conditions as the unsettled theme of the padt couple of months has continued into 2016. Since the 22nd October, there has only been about 4 days without rain. And it's been so dull I can barely remember last time we had clear sky let alone sunshine.

At least things are looking more seasonable temperature wise but we might have to endure further rainfall and possible flooding before possible drier and colder conditions might emerge next week and beyond but the details are very sketchy - a cold snap with the possibility of reloads and potentially snowy frontal breakdowns could be the case toward mid month but equally we could see a cold snap then a return to mild and wet or perhaps a more prolonged period of cold. 

The flooding in Scotland over the past couple of weeks has been shocking. Before Storm Frank there had been flooding in the Borders and locally in some other parts of the country, but recently it's been as bad as I've ever seen in this country with numerous rivers breaking their banks all across Scotland, and the severity of the flooding, especially in the NE.

The images and videos from Royal Deeside showing historic castles on the brink and roads washed away has shown the true power of water in eroding the river bank. It seems Aboyne has already recorded one of its wettest Januarys on record after just a few days.

Edited by A Winter's Tale
  • Like 2

Posted

Back from a wee visit to friends and family on Skye, as mistyqueen noted, a truly glorious sky lit the isle as we left it tonight. Too bonnie for my iPhone to capture in it's true glory

image.thumb.jpg.45ca49a8b60f7bdcde67ea32image.thumb.jpg.4cd52efc9c32cdd28aea2e3c

The tranquility felt a million miles  away from the wet hell many poor sods in the east (and other areas) have been enduring. Here's to some cold relieving them in the coming days

Edited by Northern Strath
  • Like 4

Posted

I feel guilty saying that we have had another dry day with cows cleaning up their  row of turnips very well as ground now not muddy any more.  Very dark all day with low cloud base, currently 3.5c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

There's one guy who seems to have totally lost the plot in the MT this evening, and he's often one of the saner regulars. Epic TOORP.

Another dull, cold day down Loch Ness way, at least that nasty nagging wind of yesterday abated somewhat.  The NW thing on my phone repeatedly warned me of snow nearby but unfortunately I didn't have time to go up a mountain to find it.

Just wondering what other exotic purchases I should make to further delay the snow...  Not sure Ms HC would cope with a snowblower in the yard - there's enough (s)crap around already!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

If there's one thing about the Sneck that I don't miss - it's those nagging, dreich Easterlies that keep day and night temperatures between 3 and 5C...I don't like them down here, either!:)

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Just wondering what other exotic purchases I should make to further delay the snow...  Not sure Ms HC would cope with a snowblower in the yard - there's enough (s)crap around already!

A pair of shoe spikes from Lidl. That'll delay winter until you forget where you put them.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3DF8BBE8-64E07BF3/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=25709818&title=Sz

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

I've decided I'll next post when it's not raining.

You can only post so many 'still raining' comments, and it not raining would be something really novel and interesting.

So, this will be my last.

It's still raining.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just back from 3 days up in Perthshire where it peed down the whole time. Came home to more of the same. 50 mms in my rain gauge[full]in these 3 days with the max temp being 7C and the min 4C. Still rain blowing in on the strong Easterly now with the back grass under water at the bottom. When will it stop?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Evening I've just watched the bbc 10 day forecast it looked like in the next 5 days there's going to be rain sleet snow ice  frosts  and then after there's a chance of some COLD weather coming 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
1 hour ago, moffatross said:

A pair of shoe spikes from Lidl. That'll delay winter until you forget where you put them.

http://www.lidl-service.com/cps/rde/xchg/SID-3DF8BBE8-64E07BF3/lsp/hs.xsl/product.html?id=25709818&title=Sz

No way! Sister bought a pair of those and got flooded out!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

There's one guy who seems to have totally lost the plot in the MT this evening, and he's often one of the saner regulars. Epic TOORP.

Aye I've been in stitches...wondering why we don't get -25 uppers.....he always does this when the ecm "downgrades" he clearly loves snow and cold..... 

Interesting chats between fergie and Matt Hugo who feel the models struggling with pattern change.... I expect some upgrades and a decent more traditional period of what used to be normal winter weather

Flood risk in Perth appears to have passed for now 

• Like 1

It can't keep raining like this. In the same way that I said a couple of months or more ago that we'd pay for the dry weather we'd been having (and we have paid for it), we'll get our rewards for putting up with all this rain. It's getting silly now. Thanks Mother Nature but it's time to switch the tap off hen! 

Posted

Good news. Would be sad to see a historic building like that lost.

https://archive.is/nCpYl

Abergeldie Castle saved from collapse

A CASTLE that threatened to topple into a swollen river looks set to be saved.
The 16th-century Abergeldie Castle on the banks of the Dee in Aberdeenshire has been left perilously close to the water after severe weather saw land bordering the property swept away.
Structural engineers have been assessing the A-listed tower house and believe it is no longer at imminent risk.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer

Read the MOD this morning...

There is a god! :yahoo:

(Admittedly far from nailed on) 

There have been significant upgrades overnight and it would appear we could be in for some snow, which might actually hang around for a bit...

Hopefully less of a 'snap' and more of a 'spell' of cold, fingers crossed!

Edited by SW Saltire
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....
  • Morning Peeps! Cloudy and cool here this morning, currently 3.9c. It crept down to 2.6 last night and I welcome the cold after all the howling gales and rain.
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
45 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

Good news. Would be sad to see a historic building like that lost.

More a 'stay  of execution' I'd think. It make take another hundred years, maybe longer, but you can't control nature indefinitely and the Dee will claim its prize eventually.

Well we seem to be in a bit of a lull in the rain here at the moment. Dull and breezy but nothing more than light drizzle falling from the sky. Yesterday clocked up another 18.7mm or rain at my house, which makes the total in the last 4 days nearly 100mm. The river Don was lower again this morning, which is good, but if the forecast for later today and tomorrow especially is correct then it might be on the rise again soon.

Could be interesting if we do change to a cold spell early next week because here at least, even if there is a drier spell between the rain and the cold, there's going to be a lot of standing water around. We could go from saturated to ice rink.

Posted
11 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

More a 'stay  of execution' I'd think. It make take another hundred years, maybe longer, but you can't control nature indefinitely and the Dee will claim its prize eventually.

You could just build a wee island around it, stick on a drawbridge and hey presto, a new Eilean Donan. Eventually, as hundreds of years pass, the river will cut its way to the other side of the castle, leaving it high and dry...

Solved. At least until it starts meandering back... :D

• Like 3