Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Still -1C here, everyone's noticed how cold it is this morning and dark talk of bedsocks... If Ms HC gets bedsocks, I'll know I'm past it...

Aye, we looked for Geminids last night for about 15 mins around midnight - later read we should have been looking soon after dusk.

Edited by Hairy Celt

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

More of this please!

Clear, calm and frosty. Still -1.2 C in the gairden.

Posted

So finally -3,7 recorded by the weather station and -6 by the sensor. Everything is ice-coated. Find a few pics of my walk yesterday to Whitewisp Hill in the Ochils and this morning's frost. 

1. Saddle Hill / Whitewisp Hill

2. Burn of Sorrow and the King's Seat from Saddle Hill

3. Freezing level at some 600m. (Saddle Hill at 560 was at 0.4, the top of Whitewisp at 640, -0.4)

4. My back garden and Bank Hill. 

20151212_110331.jpg

20151212_115833.jpg

20151212_123102.jpg

20151213_084614.jpg

• Like 8

Posted

Would anyone like to offer a forecast for the likelihood of lying snow through the Highlands tomorrow, and at what altitude we might see it lying through the day?  (Just wondering about having a duvet day...)

Posted

Same question applied to the Ochil Hills please? :)

Still negative values at -0.4 Academy and -1.2 sensor garden. Praying for precipitation to come asap, it would lie so nicely right now!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Thunderstorms
20 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Would anyone like to offer a forecast for the likelihood of lying snow through the Highlands tomorrow, and at what altitude we might see it lying through the day?  (Just wondering about having a duvet day...)

Looking pretty good for the Highlands, especially with elevation above 200m, same would apply for the Ochills I guess maybe a tad more elevation need due to being slighter further South. Drove back from Braemar yesterday and the snow covered hills of Scotland (Ochills/Trossachs etc) really are stunning!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Minimum temp last night was -0.8c. There was a crystal clear sky at 10.30 last night, didn't see any Geminids though. Perhaps if I'd stayed out longer I may have been lucky, but it was too cauld! Temp currently 2.1c, light cloud, pressure 1004. I'd love this weather to continue....fat chance!

Posted
1 hour ago, vizzy2004 said:

Looking pretty good for the Highlands, especially with elevation above 200m, same would apply for the Ochills I guess maybe a tad more elevation need due to being slighter further South. Drove back from Braemar yesterday and the snow covered hills of Scotland (Ochills/Trossachs etc) really are stunning!

Sounds about what I'd have said too, although GFS has the height of the 0C contour rising quickly everywhere through the day...

Ennyway, temps just krept abuv 0C heeur.  Fiurwood wurk haz kept mee worm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.

Still freezing here, -2 according to car temp gauge, campervan still covered in frost. According to met o we're meant to get sleet at 8.00 followed by heavy rain. Any chance the sleet/rain might actually be snow I wonder?

Posted
11 minutes ago, snowidea said:

Still freezing here, -2 according to car temp gauge, campervan still covered in frost. According to met o we're meant to get sleet at 8.00 followed by heavy rain. Any chance the sleet/rain might actually be snow I wonder?

The temperature across the central belt is about 1-2c down on what was forecast - I've only reached a max of 0.3c - so there may be a better chance of a bit of snow for some for a while but given that the upper temps are due to rise as we move towards midnight any snow is likely to turn back to rain.

• Like 1

Posted

Sensor says we have maxed at -0.6º, school says 0.8º. Now back down to -2.1 sensor and 0.4º Academy. 

Academy weather station can eff off, I know we've had a lovely ice day! Hurry up front, hurry up! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

First ICE DAY of the winter, managed a high of -1.4C a lot lower than what I was expecting!!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

First ICE DAY of the winter, managed a high of -1.4C a lot lower than what I was expecting!!

Hey Ross any snaw down by the West Coast yet?

Posted

High cloud all day with only weak sunshine and  frosty all day with a maximum of 0c  Ben Wyvis and the hills out to the west wearing a full midwinter coat of snow.   Winter is here at least for today.

Edited by Northernlights

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.

As above, ice day here! Freezing fog and low cloud meant the frost hanged around all day with a max of -0.8'C currently down to -3'C and Met Office going for five hours of heavy snow tonight with a day time max of 2'C and fog. I'll sneak my winter in somehow! 

I see the general consensus in the Model Output thread (which is incredibly quiet this year?) is that we should wait until January for any cold now - do they ever learn? 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

A grab from the 500m radar, hopefully no snow shields around this evening and everyone gets a cheeky flurry before the warmer air piles through..

Capture.thumb.JPG.3dfe21b38f5e7f75cd0089

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Not sure what the max hit here today as my sensor reads high when it is sunny due to poor positioning by me. I can say though that it was 'bracing' when I went for a run about 11am.

Let's hope for a cheeky snow flurry tonight before the current -2C gets pushed away. 

Posted

Moderate snow falling now with some big flakes. Still can't post pics from phone on the new software though :( (Loch lomond) 

Posted

Here we have.......................Rain. Still cold though but most of the frost has lifted