Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

Posted

Wind's really getting up and the rain has started.................this will be a fun 36 hours at least

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Wind really getting up here too although I don't think  we in the east have the same rain worries as you guys in the north and west.   200mms in 36 hrs for some parts is what, 8"?....blimey!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I was in Glenurquhart when the Black Bridge got washed into the sea (1989); I sincerely hope that things, up there, don't get as bad as that.

• Like 2

Posted

What makes it worse here (don't think we would be flooded as such) but we we're battered relentlessey during November and we have this dollop to come.......................if it wasn't soggy before it might be about to get a hell of a lot more soggier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

That last gust was 53mph.   Really kicking up a gear now.   No rain though.

Posted

It's been quite windy for the past hour or so. Very dark aswell with heavy overcast skies - a pretty typical mild, Atlantic influenced December day. I wonder how much are wind gusts expected increase through this evening and overnight.

The model runs so far today from the GFS and ECM look pretty encouraging for a colder pattern to develop around mid-month with the jet stream looking to track further south. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Well, that was an interesting drive back from Inversnecky! Really wild going through Cluanie, we  were praying that the bridge wouldn't be closed. Big cheers from our car as we rounded the bend at Kyle to see the ominous notice 'Skye Bridge closed..... To high sided vehicles!!!' Whoop Whoop! The drive from Kyleakin to home was, to say the least, rather damp! The wind was forcing rain in the car doors, waterfalls were  pouring over the car thereby forcing yet more water into the car. Biggest gust we've had here is a measly 39.8mph and we've had 5.3mm of rain in the last hour. Humungous puddles in the garden. Fire is on, so is the power. Don't know how long we'll have leccy for, but again, I'm praying it'll stay on. Stay safe everyone, and make sure you have a decent supply of candles to hand!

• Like 2

Posted

Wild out! Fences down on the main road and bins blowing around already! Preferred yesterday evenings weather LOL 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Yet another drenching on another hill today.  Such a change in the weather from the ridiculously calm, mild early autumn to this stormy mongoose.

How's the Bridge doing?  Youngest HC has just left Heriot Watt in a minibus to try to get home and is wondering whether they'll have to eat each other to survive the journey!

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 3

I had to laugh at this BBC article about the snow and rain last night. "Unexpected" was it? Clearly they never read this thread as 101North and I had been posting Euro4 charts quite well in advance of the snow risk.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35001276

Loads of flood alerts and warnings out, this will only get worse in the next 24 to 36 hours:

http://floodline.sepa.org.uk/floodupdates/

Jedburgh and Hawick were hit hard last night, all the shops in Jed which were flooded last year were flooded again last night.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: well it depends.. just not haar!

We had 8-9 inches and total chaos on the A7, buses snow ploughs and lorries stuck. Neighbour had to abandon her car at Fushiebridge and thumb a lift in a lorry lol

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I had to laugh at this BBC article about the snow and rain last night. "Unexpected" was it? Clearly they never read this thread as 101North and I had been posting Euro4 charts quite well in advance of the snow risk.

Even I'll admit that I honestly never expected what happened last night LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
26 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Jedburgh and Hawick were hit hard last night, all the shops in Jed which were flooded last year were flooded again last night.

Aye, lots of stream bed debris on the backroads here where fields have been so saturated, they can't absorb the rain and overland flow starts. Back roads lacking good drainage can form nice temporary stream paths.

Just been out to clear the ditch next to us of debris where it goes into a pipe under the road. That can block up and cause a stream to run past the house. Not a problem for our house as I built various drystane walled flower bed defences, raised up the drive etc, and the road is steep so what flows is never deep. However, has caused problems for the cottage down from us in the past.

Blawin a fair hoolie here and rain now moving in.

Edited by scottish skier

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
3 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

I was in Glenurquhart when the Black Bridge got washed into the sea (1989); I sincerely hope that things, up there, don't get as bad as that.

Don't think it was the Black Bridge that was swept away Ed, wasn't it the Inverness Rail Bridge? Before my time.

Posted

LOL

Wings Over Scotland Retweeted

Hey everybody laughing at us in Fife with no bridge. The biggest Amazon distribution in Western Europe is on OUR side. #xmasisnotinthepost

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

The wind is just about at the level that I wouldn't want to be outside now. It's nowhere near as bad as some proper wind storms I've experienced in the west of Scotland, but it's as bad as anything I've seen since I moved to the Borders almost four years ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
11 minutes ago, NorthernRab said:

Don't think it was the Black Bridge that was swept away Ed, wasn't it the Inverness Rail Bridge? Before my time.

I was only just there, at the time; so, aye, you might be right.:)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

The wind is just about at the level that I wouldn't want to be outside now. It's nowhere near as bad as some proper wind storms I've experienced in the west of Scotland, but it's as bad as anything I've seen since I moved to the Borders almost four years ago.

Pretty bad here too just now, though it looks like it's peaking this evening for us northern softies, whereas you're going to cop it over the weekend.  Family in Kendal look to be in for a nasty weekend too.

Just been looking at charts for the weekend and there's some quite striking patterns for rainfall and winds over the country.  Really pretty charts, says my inner someone esle.

Posted

Pretty wild evening here in Crail. Leuchars was reporting mean speeds of 40mph so we'll be a shade above that. Very gusty too.

1 minute ago, Hairy Celt said:

Pretty bad here too just now, though it looks like it's peaking this evening for us northern softies, whereas you're going to cop it over the weekend.  Family in Kendal look to be in for a nasty weekend too.

Just been looking at charts for the weekend and there's some quite striking patterns for rainfall and winds over the country.  Really pretty charts, says my inner someone esle.

It's going to be the wind which may cause problems here, I doubt the rain will be too bad for me, I'm only 15 miles from Berwick so quite far east and outside the Amber warning for rain. I was supposed to go up to Kilmacolm this evening to get my kids for their weekend to stay with me, but I've postponed collecting them until the morning. I'm not sure I'll make it tomorrow either, but we'll see how it goes. I wouldn't mind getting stuck myself but I don't fancy getting stuck with an 11, 7 and 5 year old in tow.

Good choice Catchmydrift - although a hard one!  I got stuck in the snow in Auchendinny last night with three kids under 10 in the car.  A nice lady invited us to her house and gave us tea and toast.  Didn't make it home again, ended up driving back to Edinburgh hours later and staying there.  Someone said further up the thread about there being bad snow in areas of Penicuik, I had to turn round at Howgate and the snow there was a good 4 or 5 inches at 5pm.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, clappy80 said:

Good choice Catchmydrift - although a hard one!  I got stuck in the snow in Auchendinny last night with three kids under 10 in the car.  A nice lady invited us to her house and gave us tea and toast.  Didn't make it home again, ended up driving back to Edinburgh hours later and staying there.  Someone said further up the thread about there being bad snow in areas of Penicuik, I had to turn round at Howgate and the snow there was a good 4 or 5 inches at 5pm.

I guess this might have influenced your decision to join a weather forum..:)

I was on the A68 - just made it across before it was closed at Soutra due to snaw and stuck cars which I had to navigate my way past.

Welcome to the NW kilted thread!

32 minutes ago, scottish skier said:

I guess this might have influenced your decision to join a weather forum..:)

I was on the A68 - just made it across before it was closed at Soutra due to snaw and stuck cars which I had to navigate my way past.

Welcome to the NW kilted thread!

Thank you :)

Glad you got home safe.

Edited by clappy80

Posted

Seems like an appropriate weekend to return to Scotland, meteorologically speaking.

November was Scotland's second wettest on record, only beaten by 2009, with 245mm of precipitation. Does anyone have statistics for individual locations?