Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland Weather Discussion - 20th November 2015 and Onwards...

Methuselah

12 minutes ago, edo said:

Cant believe the pics especially Livingston only 50 mins from here...looks great...what a great surprise...big cold drops of rain here and no sign of even  sleet

Have signatures been removed from forum or is it just mobile version can't see them on

Nah, the sigs are all still there via my laptop...although I'm pretty sure they were there when I was on my mobile earlier. Check your settings to see if you've switched off viewing sigs.

Posted

Glad to see some of my peer cold weather aficionados got a wee surprise this evening - no such thing happened in the Hillfoots villages though. In Dollar, we have had a good few hours of rain-rain which has accumulated up to 9.6mm and the temp dropped to 2.9, where it remains now. I can sort of see some fresh snow lying on top of the King's Seat and Whitewisp Hill, above 350m in my roughest estimate, so impressive to see that you have done so well at 150-200m just a few miles down south. 

PS. The weather station website is up and running, now it needs to go on Scottish Weather Network and WOW :) Some of the kids at school are loving it! 

http://dollarweather.co.uk/  a bit barebones but the most important thing is there: DATA! It will be done up in the next few weeks though :D

Edited by peborant
forgot link
  • Like 6

Posted

Saw a pic on Facebook there of someone in the Penicuik area with around 9 inches of lying snow.... That can't be right surely? Is it? 

P.S we also got a covering 

image.jpeg

Edited by ruzzi (snowboy)
  • Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, ruzzi (snowboy) said:

Saw a pic on Facebook there of someone in the Penicuik area with around 9 inches of lying snow.... That can't be right surely? Is it? 

image.jpeg

Looks more like 9cm(if that) from the BBC photos http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35001276

Lorenzo- your photo made it onto the meteo Europe Facebook page :)

Edited by Ross B
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
6 minutes ago, ruzzi (snowboy) said:

image.jpeg

Looking through twitter, lots of snowy scenes from Penicuilk! 

https://twitter.com/search?f=tweets&vertical=default&q=Penicuik&src=typd 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Forth Road Bridge shut from midnight, for an 'intermediate period' - not good.

Edinburgh is having a conscious decoupling from Fife.

Meanwhile some AMEY engineers have a game of Go Ape on the bit that is knackered...

Capture5.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Some pics on this BBC article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-35001276

Snow across Midlothian leaves drivers struggling

_87024743_snow.jpg

A68 Looked a bit like the above at Soutra on my way home, but with less back visible as it hadn't been ploughed.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 1

Posted

Glad to see some getting a bit of the old white stuff! Pishin it was here but felt almost like it was teetering on the edge of starting to sleet/snow, cold, now clearing up and looks like a nice night, bit windy, cold and probably a bit icy by morning.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
2 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Had about half a sleet flake earlier, other than that wet and cold. :(

0.5 more than we have had down here!

• Like 1

Posted

Glad to see that snow is falling  in southern Scotland this evening .  Had a very bone chilling  cold dull windless day at 4c maximum here. All the wildlife is pointing to winter proper arriving shortly with hundreds  of birds at the feeder in the garden and thousands of geese in the neighbouring fields. Add to this we are seeing significant numbers of migrating woodcock from Scandinavia/Russia at dawn and dusk and even flushing them from the edge of fields during daylight hours when feeding cattle

Still calving some late cows so have to educate some calves to drink properly from their mothers,  very time consuming. 

Edited by Northernlights
Extra information
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - Heavy Snow Summer - Hot with Night time Thunderstorms

What on earth caused this unexpected snow? Uppers and thicknesses were nowhere near enough according to the charts? Was it very heavy precipitation bringing the cold air down? 

Understandable if that was so as all the way down here the rain turned very torrential on the squall.

if only those surprises would happen down here in the tropical south!

Edited by Costa Del Fal

Posted
8 hours ago, Costa Del Fal said:

What on earth caused this unexpected snow? Uppers and thicknesses were nowhere near enough according to the charts? Was it very heavy precipitation bringing the cold air down? 

Understandable if that was so as all the way down here the rain turned very torrential on the squall.

if only those surprises would happen down here in the tropical south!

I'm no expect but I believe it was caused in part by a large temperature gradient across the low. Thanks 'CatchMyDrift' for that info :) Temps on the northern side were around 0c in the affected areas. Euro4 called this several days ago and was pretty consistent throughout although the affected area did appear to edge slightly northwards. Modest altitude also played a part.

15120318_0318.gif

I might of course be talking dog biscuits so maybe someone more knowledgeable can offer a better insight? My efforts with the charts amount to little more than pattern and colour watching :) 

Anyway as is typical in these situations there was a hefty thaw overnight although there is still snow on the ground. 

Edited by 101_North

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Nice to see the reports of snow last night, the start to this winter continues to be 'interesting' this side of the border despite the exceptionally mild temps being experienced further south.

Started off clear here first thing this morning but is clouding over a bit now.  Not sure what the overnight low was, but it was around 2-3C when I got up, and looking at the stats from Dyce & Aboyne doesn't suggest it dropped below zero. Despite this we had a noticeable frost this morning, with the car windscreen needing scraped and the road in the estate on the slippy side.

Next up in the weather's box of tricks seems to be wind, especially later on this evening. That won't help them in their attempts to fix the Forth Bridge.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Maddiston , Falkirk, Scotland 390ft above sea level

It must have been volume of precipitation. I live 8 miles from bathgate which was plastered with snow. Yet not a drop fell in Maddiston just heavy wet sleet. some of the places that had snow were so close to me it was ridiculous.

Posted

When the rain gets in later on...............it might last quite a while (and it will be rain this time) all the way I think

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

Forth Road bridge closed til New year

Posted

Fife cut off till New Year!

Enjoy!

Pity it wasn't snow!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Apparently the repairs are 'weather dependent' which could mean a longer closure if weather deteriorates?

Dear me!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
9 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Apparently the repairs are 'weather dependent' which could mean a longer closure if weather deteriorates?

Dear me!

Netweather Fifers to start praying for no snow? Even better, just snow the whole lot of us in so that we can all have that 'cut off' feeling.

No joke really, I lived in Dunfermline/Dalgety Bay for years, it's going to cause a lot of trouble. Whatever they do there seems no way they can find an alternative for that volume of traffic. We're flying out from Edinburgh to Austria on Boxing Day, so will either have to go the long way around that morning (shouldn't be too busy that day, especially early on) or make provision to travel down on Xmas Day and stay somewhere South of the Forth.

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.

Christmas deliveries will probably take a hit too!   Personally, I am waiting on a new cooker.   Lorry businesses are really going to suffer.   Witnessed the utter bedlam traffic wise in the southeast because of the hold up at the Dover Crossing in the summer.  Not a pleasant experience!

My son works in Edinburgh 5 days a week.   He will have to use the train.   Not so bad early in the morning as you say, but I would imagine it will be hell on earth getting home in the evening!

Posted

Nobody mentioning the Amber alert for rain tomorrow and Sunday?

Can't remember the last amber rain alert we had - genuinely a little bit worried...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Winter Storms, Heatwaves.

Yeah I'm worried about this afternoon's wind and tomorrow's rain. 60-100mm? That's going to cause a lot of problems I would think.