Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The Midlands - Weather Chat

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
50 minutes ago, mackerel sky said:

We had a snow flurry about 4pm. Cold out there now -0.8C. If any makes it here overnight or early morning it will be of the white variety.

I was working in Wellingborough had a minute of snow then nothing else about 4pm

Be nice to get some later on as is cold now if not roll on the summer love the snow and even took the kid's to Scotland last February but this winter has drained me chasing anymore. Lol

Edited by pegg24
  • Like 1

Posted

It isn't unreasonable to look at upstream developments coming out of the northeastern seaboard of the US and how that may or may not affect us. I am bored of this. There is no accountability because no one seems interested anymore on a local level in the model thread. All about point scoring with the next fad.

Edited by mackerel sky
  • Like 1

Well Just Got Back From Buxton. Drove Up From Brum As Looking Like Last Chance Of This Awful Winter. There Was Around 6 to 8inches Around There, As Driving Up It Was Sleeting Raining All The Way To Just After Leek A53. Then Whiteout Conditions Just Before Buxton. It Was Worth The Eve As Eventually Bought A Smile On Daughters Face Even Though Had To Drive An Hour Or so For It. 

Gone The Classic Guaranteed Winters. Soon Frost Will Become Precious.

image.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

The one from the window is from later in afternoon showing the additional snow on the fence after it had fallen off at about midday.....the measurements were taken at midday..... Snowed continuously for 9 hours with spotty snow flurries after..... Still 4-5 inches on ground, not really melted just compacted....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
2 hours ago, LoisE said:

We drove to The Peak District to see snow: well worth it! 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Love these pics LoisE. In fact I loved the sheep one so much I saved it to my iPad to look at again later! (there's something very peaceful about pics of sheep in the snow ....)

Whereabouts I the Peak District did you take these?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms
7 hours ago, Aaki Khan said:

Well Just Got Back From Buxton. Drove Up From Brum As Looking Like Last Chance Of This Awful Winter. There Was Around 6 to 8inches Around There, As Driving Up It Was Sleeting Raining All The Way To Just After Leek A53. Then Whiteout Conditions Just Before Buxton. It Was Worth The Eve As Eventually Bought A Smile On Daughters Face Even Though Had To Drive An Hour Or so For It. 

Gone The Classic Guaranteed Winters. Soon Frost Will Become Precious.

image.jpeg

Brilliant of you to drive up there from Brum! I'm sure your daughter loved it and I bet you did as well :D 

The most i've seen this Winter is a few flakes falling from the sky. Even then it was mixed in with rain!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, fizz511 said:

Love these pics LoisE. In fact I loved the sheep one so much I saved it to my iPad to look at again later! (there's something very peaceful about pics of sheep in the snow ....)

Whereabouts I the Peak District did you take these?

Hi! Glad you like the pictures! We drove around roads near to Baslow, Little  Longstone and Hathersage. It was all pretty, but we quickly realised that we could get stuck in the snow. We steered clear of some of the touristy towns. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme
59 minutes ago, shep said:

Is it still worth driving up to the peak district to see snow, where is best?

The best areas are around Buxton and Flash, the hills above Leek and  northward to Glossop. There's still a covering on the hills as far south as Matlock but the snow was nowhere near as heavy there as it was from Buxton northward and most of it in the southern part of the Peak will thaw today.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, Extreme Weather
1 hour ago, shep said:

Is it still worth driving up to the peak district to see snow, where is best?

Yes it is, i have just driven to Brown Edge and got a good view over to the Roaches past Leek and there is a lot of snow.

IMG_20160305_104618.jpg

Edited by RobR
Picture attached to show across to the Peaks

Posted

I was hoping to go to the Peak District today to see a decent cover of snow for the first time in three years. Unfortunately I don't drive and it would have meant one of my mates taking me there. Much to my dismay though the only two who could are both busy today and I can't go tomorrow either because we're going out for Mother's Day. Looks like its going to be at least four years between seeing a decent cover of snow for me then. That only depends on whether we get a better Winter next time round. Though to be honest it's a decent layer of snow in my back garden and the surrounding area I want, not to have to go traveling to the Peak District to see such. Besides it shouldn't matter now, Winter's over it's now Spring. As for Winter 2015/16 good riddance to bad rubbish. And that applies to the two Winters that preceded it too. Only 9 months to go until Winter 2016/17, I do hope it gives all us snow lovers a break.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow!
2 hours ago, LoisE said:

Hi! Glad you like the pictures! We drove around roads near to Baslow, Little  Longstone and Hathersage. It was all pretty, but we quickly realised that we could get stuck in the snow. We steered clear of some of the touristy towns. 

Cheers LoisE, will file that info away for next time the Peak District has snow and we don't! :) 

• Like 1

Posted

Spring snow is a not that uncommon, it's actually snowed more times at Easter than on Christmas day.

Edited by dudleyweather1
  • Like 1

Posted

Well I was running on the Shropshire hills this morning to ascertain where the Shropshire Snow Shield (SSS hereafter) has it's 'ceiling' - it turns out that this is at 400m ASL as can distinctly be seen from the photographs. BTW the views to Wales were lovely, and if you ever get a chance to visit the Stiperstones (Summit in the distance) the views are usually worth the trip. :D

shield 1.jpg

shield 2.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and Snow -20 would be nice :)

Salopian, Been to Stiperstones a few times, one of my fav places,

ref to the bottom photo, that reminds me of the small rocky bits that stick out of the ground leading all the way up to the summit,

remember seeing a woman with heals trying to walk it.......it was shocking :nea:

Great pic's...great memories,,,,,,, thanks:D

Posted

Sorry, but wasn't really sure where else to post this. This was a huge storm on 22/8/15, not taken by me but someone who lives on the same estate as me. I have been told the white cloud on the leading edge was a gust front? If anyone can confirm either way. This was the best storm I have ever seen, even better than the one we had in 1995. I believe this was as close to a supercell as we get here in the UK. If this is in the wrong place, please place in proper forum.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, dudleyweather1 said:

Spring snow is a not that uncommon, it's actually snowed more times at Easter than on Christmas day.

I've heard this said a few times and to be honest I'm not so sure (with regards to white Easter's been more frequent than white Christmas's). From personal observation I have seen snow (falling or lying) on Christmas Day a few times. Falling: 2001 (it did settle but it was only a brief shower so left nothing more than a few specks). Falling and settling: 2004 (with the bulk being in the evening, but there was snowflakes blowing around in the day). And lying: 2009 (when there was a bit of residual stuff in odd places left from the 23rd, but unfortunately it thawed on Christmas Eve) and of course the deep lying cover of Christmas Day 2010, which was deposited with the falls of the 18th and the much heavier one (here at least) of the 22nd. Snow on Easter Sunday however is something I believe I'm yet to witness and I'm 31 at the end of this month. You've got to consider also that Easter unlike Christmas is a festival that moves around the calendar from between late March and late April which makes this assumption hard to nudge conclusively. Of course earlier Easter's such as the one this year are statistically more likely to have snow than those that occur in late April, but even then the chances of the synoptics been conducive enough are still fairly slim. They're still slim of course in the short days/ long nights period of the 25th December, but for some reason (even though deep cold at that time is relatively rare in the British Isles) snow does seem to have been more frequent on that day in the last 15 years or so than the none existent records of snow on Easter Sunday. In fact when was the last time there was snow then? I imagine you'd have to go back a long way to find an example. Though of course I'm not rubbishing the possibility as indeed we have had snow in early Spring in recent years such as this week even and the epic March of 2013 and also in April in 2008. I'm just pointing out the lack of snow on Easter in recent years compared to Christmas. I'd much rather have snow at Christmas anyway been as snow has a strong association with then, whereas Easter has more of a pleasant and sunny day with new life emerging kind of theme.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers

Had 2 wintry showers here this afternoon,the 2nd produced some pretty heavy wet snow briefly though it didn't settle.Nice to see though non the less

Posted

Had a hail shower then a soft hail shower about 4 pm gained another few metres earlier on my roof in search of snow :)

image.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 hours ago, Stormraider said:

Sorry, but wasn't really sure where else to post this. This was a huge storm on 22/8/15, not taken by me but someone who lives on the same estate as me. I have been told the white cloud on the leading edge was a gust front? If anyone can confirm either way. This was the best storm I have ever seen, even better than the one we had in 1995. I believe this was as close to a supercell as we get here in the UK. If this is in the wrong place, please place in proper forum.

This storm did have a very defined and photogenic gust front on its leading edge. I was chasing this storm and intercepted it near to the village of Woore in Shropshire and saw the gust front. It looks from this video that the lightning was more frequent when it hit your area, the storm had probably lost some of its intensity by the time it reached me. I believe this storm was an MCS, and a great one too. 22nd August last year was great for storms (a couple of video freeze frames below).

vlcsnap-3252-06-07-19h04m11s124.thumb.pn    vlcsnap-6598-12-31-06h07m46s970.thumb.pn

Regarding Peak District snow. I climbed up Kinder Scout's northern edge today and there was plenty of snow, or should I say ridiculous amounts of snow up there. In places the snow was over waist deep, such as where it had drifted or filled in the gaps between rocks. It was a hard climb and my legs/feet are paying the price now! Some photos to follow.

Edited by Supacell
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
38 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Just got soaked again by more horrible cold rain coming out of nowhere. When is this autumn going to end?

hopefully a week from today, long way to go mind you, but get worse before getting better, Wednesday looks a shocker

Posted
Just now, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

hopefully a week from today, long way to go mind you, but get worse before getting better, Wednesday looks a shocker

It truly ends to me when we get either a) Lying snow that persists for at least 12 hours, including being present at 0900 b) An ice day c) A minimum below -10C d) 5 or more consecutive days reaching 20C or more, or 3 reaching 25C, with at least 8 hours sunshine on each.

None of those has happened since the summer of 2014. 2 winters and one summer, none of them. And they shouldn't be that hard to achieve, especially a) and d).