Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Paul

Recommendations for coastal locations to film winter storms - please help BBC WinterWatch

The BBC have been in touch and they're after some help for their upcoming WinterWatch program. They're looking to film some winter storms over the season, and would like to know some great places to film from that can capture the power of the storms on the coast. 

They're looking for interesting, visually dynamic locations, so if you can recommend any please post them in here and they'll be passed back to the BBC as possible places to go to when storms are inbound.

Thanks

Paul

The lizard, cornwall. 

Beautiful Pendine Sands,  West Wales or Rhossili  Beach  Gower coast....... :)

Porthleven is great for any storm with winds between S and W and Portreath for storms from a westerly quadrant but I have to say these, and others, are pretty obvious.

If the BBC is interested in going "the extra mile", a little place called Skansen here in Austevoll kommune (Hordaland, Norway).  It used to be the Norwegian terminus for the "Shetland bus" during the WW2.

I think Woolacombe is a great site. Very exposed to the wind off the Atlantic with some foam whipped up in storms and when filming you can capture the sand dunes swaying. A lot of the trees are quite bent in the area too from the buffeting wind too.

Kynance cove in Cornwall on the Lizard is another very rugged spot. A beach at low tide but no doubt the waves come crashing right onto the rocks at high tide. Fascinating change over the tidal cycle.

The west coast of Jersey at El Tico cafe at sunset at high tide..

Lyme Regis, is usually a decent provider or winter shots.

As can be Portland, especially around the Fortuneswell area.

St Catherine's Lighthouse or The Needles both on the IOW spectacular places to watch and see stormy weather!!

Maybe the BBC should refund a chunk of the above contributor's licence fees, for doing their research for them?

Aberdaron here in Gwynedd where we get loads of storms.. As I'm writing this the wind is blowing a gale... Wow

Leysdown fantastic location. :oops:

More seriously the Lizard jutting out to that huge expanse of water monster waves!

Shakespeare beach dover. It's to the right of the main harbour. 

This is a good spot to set up camp.

Marsden rock in South Tyneside. Plenty of exposed rock faces and sharp cliffs and a lighthouse bang next to it. Part of it collapsed a few years ago so it won't look exactly like this but not far off..

​

I went to Cape Clear island during a storm last January. It's the most southerly inhabited place in Ireland. It's a beautiful spot and great for some storm pictures. Here are a few I got.

RmdMm0N.jpg?1 zriawJm.jpg?1ZDvmMkB.jpg?1

Have had a message back from Stephanie at the BBC - she'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions so far, so please do keep them coming :)

She's also asking whether or not anyone can recommend likely spots which may also be good places to see wildlife from at the same time (eg seabird colonies etc). 

Have had a message back from Stephanie at the BBC - she'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions so far, so please do keep them coming :)

She's also asking whether or not anyone can recommend likely spots which may also be good places to see wildlife from at the same time (eg seabird colonies etc). 

Hi Paul. yes Ive noticed by Aberystwyth pier just before the sun goes down there always seems to be an amazing display of thousands of Starlings ,swooping and swaying togeather.  I have no idea how they do that without bumping into each other! The last few years my Girlfriend and I have noticed this breathtaking display from staying at an hotel at the seafront. I had a calendar a couple of years  ago with a photo of this ,so I think it must be a regular occurrence.... :)

Cape Clear has annual bird watching tours. This is most popular in the late summer, when the island becomes littered with middle aged men hiding in bushes with binoculars!

http://www.birdwatchireland.ie/Birdwatching/CapeClearBirdObservatory/tabid/567/Default.aspx

http://www.capeclearisland.ie/birdObservatory

• Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners

Lockdown Gardening - Top Tips for New Gardeners - Blog by Jenny Bell WWW.NETWEATHER.TV In the first in a regular series of gardening articles, Jenny Bell gives her top tips for new gardeners who are maybe taking their first gardening steps during the lockdown.  

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Warm Sunny Days Before A More Unsettled & Cooler Easter Weekend

High pressure in charge next few days will bring warm sunshine for many, but from Good Friday and through the Easter Weekend it will turn cooler and more unsettled with showers. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather