Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - 16th Nov onwards

Paul

Posted

Anybody fretting about the last three frames of the 00Z ECM, would do well to take notice of the ensemble mean.

It is a huge outlier; NB - does not preclude it being right!    epsgram_at_reading!epsgram.gif

I'm not a fan of extended ensemble means but when it is all we have to look at, better than nowt.

T+ 216 means for 850 temp and Z500 heights.

ec-ens_millikort_mslpmean_t850mean_t850s   ec-ens_nat_gh500mean_gh500std_thk500mean

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

ECM 00z London ensembles

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

Still a brief cold dip for around 27th/28th before turning milder and then settling back to around average, some slight milder/cooler days as low pressure passes through.

As would be expected large scatter into first week of December but no extremes of mild or cold showing.

I still believe we will have a chance of something better into 2nd week of Dec but it is just a case of patience for now and seeing how things progress through next week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

UKMO has gone from most amplified to flat as a pancake but it has been abysmal of late so who knows.

Here is what it is showing today (left) for 26th compared with two days agao (right)

UN96-21.GIF?22-17UN144-21.GIF?20-12

Unfortunately GFS has also been getting flatter though not quite so dramatically while ECM looks to have been pretty much on target.

While any faint hope of the pattern backing West over time has been squashed,,the Siberian high should still be strong enough to influence things further down the line and for me the best prospects of any cold spell in first half of Dec come from an Atlantic ridge reforming rather than any Easterly influence of which prospects should improve later in Winter.

Cold prospects over the next two weeks look to be a case of eking out any brief cold from transient Northwesterlies

GFS 12z interesting...

gfsnh-0-186.png?12

Strong Canadian ridge and Arctic high, that wouldn't be a bad thing as far as looking for upstream amplification later.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 1

Posted

Not much cold showing in the reliable timeframes, Scottish ski resorts may do ok though. I don't think the Siberian high looks like migrating our way any time soon.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunder & Lightning, Thundersnow, Storms, Heatwave

GEM best of the bunch so far tonight...

Still do not think any model has got the heights to the north east and Siberia high quite right yet. Not that I think the high will move west enough to bring a cold spell but it may have more effect than currently shown on some models.

post-16336-0-78655500-1448210870_thumb.p

Edited by bradythemole

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer:sunny, some Thunder,Winter:cold & snowy spells,Other:transitional

However, the trop Polar Vortex appears to be too resistant against any poleward wave propagation from the Siberian High for now, so there appears to be no impetus from the medium to long range NWP guidance to dislodge the PV from its limpet hold on Greenland for now.

But, dare I say, none particularly potent or sustained with the set-up looking likely to persist into early December.

And the latest operational 12z run from the GFS seems to back these thoughts of yours up too. Tis early days yet though but not much on offer for coldies yet in mainland England bar Frosty spells and perhaps a few wintry showers in between the passage lows. Next weekend does appear be our next best chance for something similar to what has just been, a few more runs needed to confirm this latter aspect.

Overall, the bigger picture NH wise and those stratospheric signals remain of interest though, according to those in the know, so let's see how things unfold as head deeper still into month end. I reckon after these usual weekend wobbles within the various NWP outputs, they might yet pick up on an entirely different evolving trend again as we head into the midweek period.

Edited by gottolovethisweather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

gfsgwo_1.png

We've almost lost the -ve AAM cycle from the GEFS outlook now, and it's getting close to a classic Nino state (phase 5/6). The 00z GFS det. seemed to respond by going crazy with the Euro High, with the balance of power shifting a long way toward that as a result of increased mobility from the Atlantic eating away at the Siberian High - it wasn't a pretty sight wrt long term prospects. Thankfully, the following two runs have stepped away from this, with the 12z det. keeping the Siberian High ridging poleward pretty much without pause during the 4 to 16 day period. 

Despite this, the 30 hpa warming is still not as pronounced as it was yesterday - hinting at the longer game that I mentioned yesterday; for me mid-Jan remains a reasonable target for a major warming event. We could do with a bit more wave breaking than the 12z det. has, though. IIRC, it underestimated warming events in late January this year so something more substantial could easily occur.

With the more Nino-like background state favouring displacement of the Azores High to Europe (usually more late Dec-Jan but as I've said before I feel we're ahead of schedule with this particular event), waves of unusually mild air are likely to feature intermittently over the coming fortnight or so, which may bring temps as high as 15*C. Incursions of polar air are relatively restricted but still very much within the range of possibilities and capable of producing a below average (temp-wise) day here or there.

Wind and rain events look to be the main focus on most days but with some wintry weather on offer too for more northern parts. Those in the south will struggle to see much more than a wintry shower or two but that's far from unusual between mid-Nov and mid-Dec.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

Was just looking at the current Nino there's most certainly been cooling in the eastern Pacific area I would not like to call December either way very close to either warm wet or colder take your pick.

Is modoki pattern a possibility?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

To my eyes we see a slight upgrading to a more cool pattern coming back.  Was going to post further re BBC week ahead forecast ...Suggestion of not 'in the bag'

BFTP 

• Like 2

Posted

Yes, an important point: nothing can beat inspection of individual stamps, especially as the mean fields will always lean more towards the default type (zonal) and thus skew interpretation if based solely on them alone. Nonetheless, be it via means or stamps/clusters, both EC and GloSea5 remain in firm agreement on the varied/changeable theme between SW/WSW to WNW/NW zonality right through to late December; ie a relentless oscillation between milder windy/wet spells and chillier showery phases. So far, all in keeping with previous seasonal model expectations. We await the trend to be bucked...!

Did previous seasonal models show cold after Dec?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

As we say goodbye to that crisp Arctic air the pattern is now reverting to a more typical westerly type as the Atlantic high flattens out later in the week.

Those low heights modeled to sit over Greenland is never a great sign if looking for prolonged cold but with the jet running across our latitude we will sit on the cold side from time to time.

What we don't want is to see the Atlantic high becoming a Euro high such as shown in later frames as this will mean milder air becoming more dominant from the sw as the jet realignes to a more sw-ne angle.

• Like 8

Posted

As we say goodbye to that crisp Arctic air the pattern is now reverting to a more typical westerly type as the Atlantic high flattens out later in the week.

Those low heights modeled to sit over Greenland is never a great sign if looking for prolonged cold but with the jet running across our latitude we will sit on the cold side from time to time.

What we don't want is to see the Atlantic high becoming a Euro high such as shown in later frames as this will mean milder air becoming more dominant from the sw as the jet realignes to a more sw-ne angle.

Yes, the azores high easing towards spain and france has been the unmistakable trend on todays modelling post week one. I want to see this trend obliterated on tomorrow mornings runs :)
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

Slightly off topic here but I'm new to this whole game. Are there any good links out there that summarize the model build up to the big freezes of '09 and '10? It would be nteresting to gain an understand of how they developed and were maintained. Cheers.

• Like 2

Posted

Some.

Whilst ALL deterministic output agrees the zonal theme next 7 days at least... how much faith on the continuation thereafter all December? Discuss. My own view is one falling in the ranks of the unconvinced...I think too much faith being put in some medium range modelling. Time will tell.

same here. i'm putting my faith in the charts i posted earlier...

dare we ask your personal view?...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hoar Frost, Snow, Misty Autumn mornings

Slightly off topic here but I'm new to this whole game. Are there any good links out there that summarize the model build up to the big freezes of '09 and '10? It would be nteresting to gain an understand of how they developed and were maintained. Cheers.

The Strat thread for 2009 is a good read:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/57364-stratosphere-temperature-watch/

Also, you can trawl through the pages from here onwards:

https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/1-weather-discussion-and-chat/page-115?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

(The model output thread used to be in the Weather Discussion and Chat subforum).

• Like 2

Posted

Hi Sperrin,

I can't find any archived model discussions on here as far back but we do have the historical charts- link

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=gfs;sess=5f7650265f163f4dbf62a0a1a69ff246

just type in the dates at the top of the chart window that you want and click Retreive chart below the dates.

The met office site have summaries on that period link here

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/how/case-studies/winter09-10

there are some other links to found by using google- such as Wiki.- typing in those Winter years in your search.

Maybe some other members can help further?

I hope that at least gives you a start anyway. :)

• Like 1

Posted

The Strat thread for 2009 is a good read:

https://forum.netweather.tv/topic/57364-stratosphere-temperature-watch/

Also, you can trawl through the pages from here onwards:

https://forum.netweather.tv/forum/1-weather-discussion-and-chat/page-115?prune_day=100&sort_by=Z-A&sort_key=last_post&topicfilter=all

(The model output thread used to be in the Weather Discussion and Chat subforum).

Nice one Yarmy i overlooked those! :)

• Like 1

Posted

Hi Sperrin,

I can't find any archived model discussions on here as far back but we do have the historical charts- link

http://www.netweather.tv/index.cgi?action=gfs;sess=5f7650265f163f4dbf62a0a1a69ff246

just type in the dates at the top of the chart window that you want and click Retreive chart below the dates.

The met office site have summaries on that period link here

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/about-us/who/how/case-studies/winter09-10

there are some other links to found by using google- such as Wiki.- typing in those Winter years in your search.

Maybe some other members can help further?

I hope that at least gives you a start anyway. :)

Interesting (and not in a good way), the difference between the likes of 09 and now at mid Strat level, a veritable world of difference in vortex strength. I do struggle to see any meaningful HLB manifesting for the next 3 weeks plus looking at the NH hemisphere state etc.

However I say let the vortex continue to wind itself up into a frenzy (and it will), the bigger and the more spectacular the fall. Still plumping for strong Wave 1 displacement followed by continued wave 2 activity to spell the start of the end of its dominance late in December, with some fun along the way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: As long as it's not North Sea muck, I'll cope.

same here. i'm putting my faith in the charts i posted earlier...

Really? Are you asking the guy to forecast a similar winter to the coldest one in the best part of 300 years here (and the World has warmed in the last 50 years too, for whatever reason)

I look forward to your prediction coming off...

• Like 3